1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama tank thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lunareste, Oct 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hakeem94 LOVES being negative and points out all the supposedly wrong things the Rockets do. I rarely see him mention what they should do as a team. Butttt I digress.

Never mind that the Rockets before the losing seasons had the oldest team in the league and Harden wanted to move on and had the most wins in the NBA in the last however many years after the Spurs only I believe.

Then bottom out waiting for the Wall contract off the books which coincides with when they have to start giving their picks again to the Thunder.

Now is pointing out that there is a chance that Victor W may not be as good as he possibly could be because of injury etc. Well, my god! You basketball savant you!! I don't know how fellow Rockets fans could without your wisdom and knowledge drops on here.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Building through the draft only without trading for very good players is a big risk.

Risking hanging yourself on one single tree without alternatives.

You eat one diet without complementing it with other vitamins.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I 100% agree. The way everything was set was you have a 3 year time span to build through the draft. You then I presume over the next 2-3 years trade for said "very good players" which are also easier to target at specific position etc as you accumulate talent through the draft. You also likely get higher picks while waiting to sign and trade for those players.

Now you see how it pans out and how competitive they can be next season with whatever moves they are able to make.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I stopped reading right there.

Roc Paint, bmelo, Believe It! and 3 others like this.
  5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They haven't made trades around the margins YET .... but the timing hasn't been right for that type of move, nor did they have assets they were willing to part with.
    They were fishing for top tier draft picks, and they will have accumulated three at season's end.

This coming offseason, I think you can count on them being very active in the trade market for the type of players they would otherwise have chased in free agency - that don't exist as free agents.

This team will look dramatically different by the start of next season.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Good morning Victor Wembanyama fans!
    [​IMG]

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Yall wemby fans also told me jason tatum gonna win it all when you were in the state of HYPE before you even knew there will be a Victor...LOL

yeah let me guess but wembanyana is different!, LOL as if hes gonna meet them soft frenchmen pussycats from the highlights on his way to the finals!

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

SOFs getting insecure again! How dare anyone even THINK that there is another player in the universe that could be better than their national treasure! :rolleyes:

Wemby would be great. Scoot would be great. Hell there are 3 or 4 other guys who could mesh well and help this team, but sure we need to base any future winning on Sengun because its evident he can win games on his own and there are so many rings that are accumulated by guys like Jokic and Embiid right?

Ride or Die with the name on the front of the jersey. Support your guys even when they suck and create a community built on positives even when it seems like nothing can go right. Navigating this place which will always be Mecca for ROX fans has been a chore lately only because of the factions. Winning cures all and we should be excited to keep adding talent to this squad.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

11. maj21

maj21 Member

Took the words right out my mouth. These dudes are ridiculous. It’s like you can’t like any other player not named Sengun. My god, I’ve never seen anything like this

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There really aren’t that many SOF’s. One for sure, that posts about nothing else. I hate using the ignore function, but I’m gonna try it with Hakeem94’s spam for a while.

maj21 and Easy like this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

There’s more than you think. Hakeem94 is definitely the worst. A lot of them have been eradicated, but still a decent amount left. Definitely use the ignore on that clown lol

14. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

The last few pages of this thread have been a sh*tshow. I guess the actual topics about Victor have been retreaded plenty in the previous 36 pages.

BaselineFade likes this.
  15. bmelo

bmelo Member

I love Sengun but come on now... You measure Wenbanyamas ceiling against LeBron, Hakeem, and Kareem, not a freaking Sengun LMFAO.

BTW they can play together since Alpi is primarily a pass-first post scorer, and Wenbanyama is an outside slasher. On defense, they cover for each other's weaknesses too. Sengun muscles where Wemby cant, Wemby jumps where Sengun cant

cmoak1982 and maj21 like this.
  16. bmelo

bmelo Member

at this point I think it's one schizophrenic dude with several different personalities

maj21 likes this.
  17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Having suffered through the hearth ache and frustration of the Yao era....I'm hesitant on Wembenyama. Players over 7'1" have a long and storied history of injuries. He's virtually guaranteed to miss significant portions of at least one season.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we didn't get #1.

DCkid and hakeem94 like this.
  18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Ya'll remember when Clutch played an April Fool's when he said Olajuwon was coming out of retirement to substitute for Yao after he went down with an injury? I don't remember which season, '08 or '09.

For some reason I was stupid enough to believe it. I fell for that one hard lolol. Not sure what this has to do with Wembenyama, nothing really, but I'd really prefer not to go through those injuries again.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Look at the odds of a player in each draft spot becoming a star (1, 2, 3, 10, 15, etc.), or even averaging 10 points per game.

Tanking is not the answer! Simple! But wait.

Then explain how, when you are rebuilding, you build through trades and the draft at the same time?

You're rebuilding because the players on your team aren't good enough to compete. Will they net you good players? Will you trade your draft picks to get good players? Then how can you do both?

If you trade your draft picks to get a few good players and win 40 games, what happens then?

Give it some thought.

The classic rebuilding map in major sports is to strike silver and gold in the draft, or a star decides to join you in free agency (usually after the former). There is no magic vitamin-balanced-risk-mitigation path to become a contender. Ask Indiana or New York how that goes.

You dont move away from the draft strategy until you've struck enough gold (say, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon) that you can use trades for supplemental moves.

You and Hakeem94 just repeat stuff over and over about anti tanking and never stop to examine your own logic.

#739 napalm06, Jan 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    Verbal Christ, Tuckmose, Easy and 3 others like this.
  20. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.