1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vick reportedly entering 2001 Draft

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Cat, Jan 9, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/792190

Vick reportedly going pro

Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle News Services

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- Quarterback Michael Vick will forgo his final two seasons of eligibility at Virginia Tech to make himself available for April's NFL draft, sources told the Daily Press of Newport News on Tuesday.

Vick will announce his decision Thursday afternoon in his hometown of Newport News, said the sources (including a longtime mentor), who requested anonymity.

Vick, who led Division I-A in passing efficiency as a redshirt freshman in 1999, is expected to be among the draft's top three selections, if not No. 1. The San Diego Chargers own the first pick.

Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer and several members of his staff flew to Newport News last Thursday in an effort to convince Vick to remain in college. They arranged for Vick to speak with several NFL players and officials, including general managers Bill Polian of the Indianapolis Colts and Charley Casserly of the expansion Texans, who begin play in 2002 and would have given strong consideration to making Vick the first draftee in franchise history were he available next year.

Meanwhile, three more collegians made their early exits for the pros official Tuesday.

Clemson All-America linebacker Keith Adams, Georgia quarterback Quincy Carter and Oklahoma State running back Reggie White will forgo their season seasons.

So much for that dream of being the Texans number one pick. [​IMG] Maybe we can get Simms in '02 or '03, cause I think in the pros he'll be better than Vick anyway.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier and Mo Taylor fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I agree that Chris Simms will be a better pro QB than Vick. I really thought that Vick needed another year in school for experience purposes. I guess I was wrong in my assumption that Vick was aiming to come to Houston and have a team built around him!?!

After all, with Norv Turner being hired as the Offensive Coordiator at SD today it might not be too bad for Vick even though he won't play at all next season.
    Hope he likes that PINE! [​IMG]

------------------

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Wow. So the Texans are left with some decisions to make. It should get real interesting. Are there any big backs coming out next year?

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't the Charges still have a massive contract with Ryan Leaf?

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

What a mistake, he needs at least another year in college to polish his skills........with that said, I`m sure he realizes that a 10-13 million dollar signing bonus is right around the corner and that he will be set for life.

------------------

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah, he signed a pretty massive contract and got an $11.25 mil signing bonus. I think he may have his contract bought out in the offseason of this year or may become a free agent...errr...unemployed next season.

------------------
    "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The Chargers can't afford to buy out Leaf, for salary cap reasons (otherwise they might have already done so). His huge signing bonus would become instantly chargable to next year's cap.

------------------
    "Thirty-seven?" -Randall, Clerks
    www.clutchtown.com

8. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I was hoping he would stay in school but really can't blame the kid.I would do the same thing rather than risk the chance of a major injury or just playing bad and losing his value.

So who do you guys think should be at the top of the Texans list now ?

------------------