1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Viacom CBS terminates Nick Cannon contract after anti-semetic and anti-white remarks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaBeard, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh I don’t know about amongst younger AA, but yes amongst middle aged black men I have heard it quite a bit. Some of it is that 20-25 years ago The Nation of Islam and Louis Farrakhan was more prominent and pushed anti Semitic beliefs greatly. So the influence was strong... they also heard it from their parents as it was sometimes connected to more radical wings of the Civil Rights Movement.

Some older black men years ago told me that there was tension between blacks and Jews because Jews owned all the businesses in the black segregated part of town.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why not? It worked for Rudy G.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Younger AA's are really into conspiracy theories and yes a lot of black folks think white people are inherently evil.

I can't believe that Farrakhan is still alive and that anybody still listens to him but he is perfect in this time where everybody is upset about everything.

I will say that I believe Jews took advantage of underserved population but that's no fault on them and yes probably some of those owners where racist.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Gobert?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I think he's gifted and talented... also arrogant..

You can't call out wrong doing and then go do it.. (not even Trump)

And like Trump, he wants to blame everyone else for what he said and did..

T_Man

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Farrakhan Public Enemy generation. I'm middle aged but never was into anti Semetic conspiracies. I work with a 55 year old who was talking about right before this happened. I was and wasn't surprised

edwardc and Nook like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't. Thats why i said they shouldnt be cancelled. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the whole "only whites can be racist" opinions.

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who are the hypocrtits?

Random people on twitter?

Who has said only whites can be racist, I have not seen that here.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well I haven't seen anyone make that claim and Cannon has been fired so he was canceled like white people would be canceled if they said anti-semetic bs. So I really don't see a double standard here. Nick Cannon should be fired. He said abjectly bigoted stuff towards Jews and White people.

11. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Have you guys seen Cannon in "Day of the Dead 2007"? I know he probably needed the money back then but the portrayal of his character ... Damn.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I've never heard nor think that is a significant perspective in any circles of the black struggles movement. Yes I call it that because the struggle to live within human dignity and standards is what it is and was all about...

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Well I don't think he is fired, just fired from one of his jobs. Mel Gibson's remarks led to him being fired for years. Seems like a double standard to me.

14. Nook

Nook Member

It is an opinion that was common with the Nation of Islam and was pushed by others in the black power movement in the past.

Pointing out the fact that some of those involved in a movement (in this case civil rights) have certain biases or prejudices does not invalidate the entire movement. In virtually every struggle movement there are going to be some that have bizarre or racist/sexist beliefs that seep into parts of the movement.

If you are not aware that tension with Jews, or the belief that white people are inferior, or hatred of homosexuality have been part of the more militant (and militant isn't a slight as I actually agree the movement should be more militant) faction of the black empowerment movement, then you are not overly familiar with the history of the movement.

FWIW Malcolm X denounced this part of the movement in the last 18 months of his life..... and certainly not everyone involved in the movement holds these beliefs. However, the reality is that people like Cannon, Ice Cube, Combs and others learned and heard about such things because they were common enough.

You defensiveness is misplaced.

jiggyfly, Sanctity, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Also.....

I do not get where the idea that only white people can be racist comes from. It is largely a straw man.

I have a very diverse set of friends and business connections and I have never had a single one make such a claim.

Perhaps people are confusing the idea that in a patriarchy where the rules and rulers are white, then they hold the power..... with other races cannot be racist.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, and it is too bad in many senses. In my opinion the self empowerment part of the Nation of Islam and proactive approach is extremely successful and positive. In fairness I have also known a number of people that have abandoned the more negative bigoted part of the message over time.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody still remember the Jessie Jackson "hymietown" kerfuffle?

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Agreed! I teach college. Imagine from a teacher's perspective. If I make jokes about men, because I'm a man, that's not OK, because I have students who are young men and I am reinforcing a stereotype to them. If I make jokes about my own race, I am teaching stereotypes to my own race.

Is it cool for Black people to make jokes about "CP time" or whatever? No. It teaches younger Black people there is a concept called "CP time." Is it cool to joke to white kids "White men can't jump." No, it's not. [And don't forget the flip side of that racism: "Non-whites are jumpers!"]

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Yes.... it crushed me when I was a tiny kid.

I did not understand how he could fight for equality and say such a thing....

That was before I realized the real world is far more complicated..... and that the comments of one person does not invalidate a movement.

jiggyfly, Sanctity and RayRay10 like this.
  20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only reason I knew about this is because Eddie Murphy had a Best of his SNL skits VHS tape in which one was a akit on this.

Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.