1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vescey and WSSP Radio] TMac/Wells for Redd/Villanueva/1st Rounder?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by docgundy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Some people don't know when they're losing until they completely lost everything.

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Well, except that the GM himself has gone out of the way to say that he doesn't know where all these reporters are getting their rumors from, that T-Mac himself has told him how excited he is about the way the Rockets are playing and how much he loves it here, and that there are no trade talks at all.

It puzzles me how so many people can't see the forest for the trees. Outside the Rockets organization, most people smell blood because of T-Mac's injury and the Rockets' disappointing start. So naturally they're all speculating about prying him away from us, and the two biggest culprits would be Chicago (for obvious reasons) and Milwaukee. Milwaukee has made it clear that they are ready to blow up their team and that outside of Yi and Bogut, nobody is untouchable. I'm sure they made a phone call or two. That's what GMs of sucky teams do. But as far as we can see, the Rockets are not entertaining any trade offers for T-Mac, and until we get some local report indicating otherwise, anything you hear, whether it's from Stein, Vecsey or Smith, is just hearsay and speculation.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

I can not believe you guys liked this "deal", it is a robbery.

I dont like TMAC's game and all but I would not even trade Battier for Redd+CV, who need ball to be effective and never played defense.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree that there's probably nothing to it. But this is the first trade suggestion that actually made some sense to me. It's not completely unrealistic like T-Mac for Kobe, and it isn't completely dumb like T-Mac for Kidd.

I hate to lose a talent like McGrady. But if are going to "rebuild" around Yao and scrap this rest of this season (as so many here were suggesting just a few weeks ago), this is as good a way to go about it as any.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But what you are hearing is rumors from the other side. that means some guy at the bucks organization probably made a call to the Rockets and said hey, how about this deal. and the Rockets were mum because they aren't going to do anything until they see how t-mac fits back in after returning from his injury.

It's just a waste of energy right now.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Exactly just ask Orlando.. Oh wait :eek:

7. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Truth.

I can't wait until McGrady is back, and the winning continues, so everyone will STFU already.

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Right, getting rid of McGrady really helped them... it's not like they landed a high lottery pick who would have been there regardless of whether McGrady stayed, and basically rebuilt from scratch. [/sarcasm] Not to mention, Orlando really isn't even that good...

If you want to ask anyone, it should be Toronto.

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Orlando missed the playoffs the next what 3 years after that trade?

Yeah, they've done swell. Just look at them soar to the top of the Leastern Conference. :eek:

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

All these trade talks came just cause Magic Johnson had to say one of them gots to go on National TV. :rolleyes:

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

Talent-wise , this seems like a pretty fair trade to me. However, Redd is a little too similar to Mcgrady for my liking (soft, tends to stay on the perimeter, dominates the ball, lacks leadership, etc.).

If we’re trading Mcgrady, it should be because we’re looking to move the team in a different direction. Basically, trying to change the makeup of the team. I don’t think this trade accomplishes that. Redd would basically just come in and play the same role that Mcgrady is currently playing. If the team wants to make a change, make a real change, even if it means getting a lesser named player or less talented player. Get a player who is completely different from Mcgrady (consistently attacks the basket, good leader, etc.).

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't really follow college bball, but I've heard those names. I haven't heard "once in a lifetimer" "franchise player type" "can't miss" to any of those names.

Maybe you or someone else could fill in which college players are those type. I mean, Rudy Gay and Rashard Mcants are nice players, but they're not franchise type players like say Lebron, Chris Paul, or Dwight Howard.

BTW, Redd is overrated. That deal sucks if that first round pick becomes just another good player. I need a Lebron type in the draft for me to get interested.

13. zforrest

zforrest Member

I would love this trade!

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd be iffy about the trade. I'm down on McGrady because of my concerns over his commitment to winning, but this deal isn't the greatest.

McGrady for Redd and a 1st isn't half-bad. Redd's a pure SG and has a fantastic team attitude. He's also worlds more durable - last year's shut down was at least in part because of Bucks tanking. Tracy's time bomb back and overall fragility aren't the best things to hold on to. The Bucks 1st helps make up for the fact that you're losing a lot of assists, rebounds, and general playmaking ability with McGrady.

Charlie V for Bonzi....I'm not a Villaneuva fan in the slightest. One week on, one week off. No work ethic at all, no professional pride, unreliable, inconsistent, and a risk for knucklehead-edness. What room is there for him while we're grooming Scola? At the 3? He doesn't play all that well there, partly because he doesn't care enough to chase faster forwards.

All in all, I could live with this deal. Redd and Yao would be a nice pair to build around, and I'd be more trusting of the fact that they were trying their best every night.

Still, I don't see T-Mac going anywhere until this summer at the earliest. When dealing big name guys, that's the time to do it. Much wider options and easier to move 1 guy for several assets. Dealing him for any one All-Star isn't going to make us all that much better, if at all.

Evan

15. vince100

vince100 Member

Redd is much more selfish player than McGrady. He would shoot rocket right out of the playoff.

16. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

IMO, Redd wouldn't be happy playing second fiddle to Yao. He had a chance to play with Lebron and decided he wanted to be the #1 guy in Milwaukee.

Redd is a good scorer/shooter and loves jacking up shots. Sure we're happy when they go in but when they stop falling the fans are going to be b****ing like most of ya'll are going right now about T-Mac. His defense is questionable as well.

T-Mac is a versatile talent. He is Redd in terms of being trigger happy but he can rebound, pass, play d. His attitude is the only thing questionable.

In terms of pure talent, Tmac > Redd.

17. MFW

MFW Member

This better not be true.

Not only is TMac MUCH MUCH better than Redd, he's less selfish too. Look in a dictionary for the term "jacking up shots" and you will find a picture of Redd there.

And as crappy as Bonzi is shooting, he is at least attacking the basket, not to mention can create his own shot. Villanueva is trash. Can't score consistently and can't play a lick of D. The best part? He's a 7 foot 3 point shooter. Even if we can't re-sign Bonzi, it's still basically a wash.

The only saving grace is the pick. But would you trade TMac for a guy who's more selfish and a worse player than him and a 1st rounder?

18. Rowdie Brandon

I'd like the deal....Bonzi might not be here next year, because it's a contract year and tracy is a proven loser....Redd might not have the talent that tracy has, but I could see him working better in Adleman's system...you get Villanuea and there's no longer a need for Chucky...and the 1st rounder should be pretty good considering how much the bucks suck.......the rockets would be foolish not to do this deal if it was on the table....................

19. All Souled Out

For the people who want Yi instead of Villanueva - it isn't happening. Kohl obviously really believes in Yi. He spent the entire off-season trying to convince him to come to China, and drafted him after being told not to. Kohl was risking a lot, and probably agreed to giving Yi guranteed minutes if he came. He's not trading him after all that trouble.

Besides, Yi is the only player on that team that will block shots, and aside from Mo Williams, actually looks like he's trying on both ends of the floor.

As for Michael Redd, he's basically a Ray Allen that passes less. Redd is definitely an All-star shooting guard, and one of the best shooters in the league. The only thing that separates him from Allen is probably just a lower basketball IQ in terms of team concept (Allen happily shared the ball with Lewis, Cassell, Glenn Robinson).

Now, that said, I would definitely do the trade for reliability reasons. McGrady is on the decline, and his health has made him unstable. At least with Redd, Houston gets a sense of stableness in its rotation. He shoots a lot, but that shouldn't be a problem in Adelman's offense, since Bibby shot a lot and both C-Webb and Miller got their points.

Another problem with Redd is is defense. He's one of the worst defenders in the NBA. Luckily for Houston, as long as Shane Battier is around, he'll be guarding the other team's best scorer. So this shouldn't be too large of a problem, especially since the Rockets as a team are a lot more disciplined defensively than Milwaukee.

The Houston Rockets depth chart would look like this:
    C. Yao Ming / Dikembe Mutumbo
    PF. Luis Scola / Chuck Hayes
    SF. Shane Battier / Charlie Villanueva / Steve Novak
    SG. Michael Redd / Luther Head
    PG. Rafer Alston / Aaron Brooks / Mike James

Carl Landry, Steve Francis, Kirk Snyder would be the 3 out on injury reserve.

There's a lot less flexibility with the basic rotation, as Redd, like Ray Allen, isn't a swingman (they're both prototypical shooting guards). But, Yao has an incredible amount of shooters around him. C-Vill will put up Wells like numbers and improve both the 3/4 positions. But the only inside threats would be Yao, Scola, and Brooks (the team's only slasher).

Could that team achieve the .500 Houston's at with the current line-up though? Definitely.

20. MFW

MFW Member

The "Kohl promised minutes for Yi" rumour has been trumped by Kohl, Harris and Krystkowiak.

And yes, there is no way the Bucks are trading Yi. On the other hand, if Yi's name is not in this deal, it's not even worth looking at, which is why this thread is a waste of time.