1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Vernon Maxwell, Josh Smith, Rodman [NBA.com]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 2, 2015.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Hey guys remember when Maxwell punched a fan? Remember when he almost killed his own teammate with a weight? Oh oh. Remember when he quit on the team in the playoffs?

Great guy. Honorable person. Classy citizen. Let's all cherish those memories. Deserves a lot of respect.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rudy T said there would be non believers and DudeWhack is a non believer

seriously, go play with your mcgrady barbie doll and pretend it's the second round of the playoffs

leave the adult discussions to the adults

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

It is insulting to put McGrady and Maxwell in the same category much less the same sentence, which is what I am about to do in this post..

One was a clutch performer for a championship team, the other was a mental midget.

I wish that pansy McGrady played with Maxwell as his teammate for a season.

That would have been a rare chance for Mcgrady to grow a pair. Artest showed McGrady how to lead while McGrady was on the sidelines. Maxwell might have fixed him a bit by simply beating him up on the sidelines after each quarter, which is something McGrady severely needed.

McGrady also had a habit of throwing his teammates under the bus. Would have loved to have seen him try that with Maxwell. McGrady would have literally been under a bus after the game.

Anyways, hot-hotheadedness and craziness is what made Maxwell the player who he was that helped Rockets win the first championship.

A talented Mental midget was just not going to get it done. 0-7 LOL.

-clutch shooting from the 3 point line
    -Single handily turned the series and the Rockets championship hopes around
    -clutch defense on Dan Majerle

Maxwell was the crazy that the Rockets needed to win the first championship.

L E G E N D
    -

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Also, no way we would've had the performance against the Pelicans with Maxwell around.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Maxwell is a legend.

[​IMG]

6. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

This is a basketball fan site not a humanitarian site, thats why we love Vernon and hate Tracy. So you can leave now!

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I never mentioned any specific players. And I wouldn't be so quick to speak for the masses broski. There is no we here. Go back to lurking and loving classless humans.

8. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

Just because i don"t post alot does not mean you're right! I was talking basketball and as a player you could not brake Vernon he had a hart for the game. not every body is a good person, but some still have value in other things.

I used tracy to make a point not put word in your mouth, they were both crazy good players one a nut and one a gentleman by comparison, the nut got a ring the gentleman nothing that good. we only means more than one and you have no way of knowing who i speak for!

9. tinman

Supporting Member

How old is max? Close to 50? He looks the same. Haven't aged at all.

Vernon maxwell forever

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I hated HATED could not STAND Vernon Maxwell his offensive erraticness. He was the most inefficient junk shooting volume scorer maybe ever. HE just could NOT. SET. HIS. DAMN. FEET!

(And I tend to think the Rockets won in SPITE of Maxwell sometimes. Mario Elie's efficiency offset Maxwell's bricking. Thats why Rockets won another title without him)

Why I hated Maxwell's offense is because WHEN he was ON, it was breathtaking basketball beauty. Had all the skills, the aesthetic athleticism that few in the game have. And I mean that. Wish it was just more consistent.

Maxwell gave juuuuust enough where his contributions overcame his quirks. Where I can look at him favorably enough. One thing I liked about Max is though he's not making his - his OPPONENT was NOT gonna get his either lol.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

lol@tinman trying to say who is and isn't a "real" fan....dude is delusional

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Love it! One of my favorite MadMax moments, actually. That's back when my dad and I had season tickets. I was home for Christmas break from Baylor. I went to the game that night with him...saw that crazy shot...then caught a flight to Little Rock the next morning to hang out with my girlfriend (now my wife and mom of my 2 sons) for a few days after Christmas. Wore Rockets gear all over Little Rock. Now every time we go, my sons do too...walking around in shirts that say Clutch City on them :)

This shot and the one he hit against the Knicks in Game 7 are the 2 most memorable ones for me. I was in tears when he that one in Game 7. I wore his jerseys to every one of the home playoff games I went to that year. Loved that cat.

Here's what I've learned after 40 years. There aren't good people and bad people like in 2 separate camps. Each of us has the capacity to do bad stuff...and we do it sometimes. And each of us has the capacity to do good stuff...and we do that sometimes, too. We're all screwed up. I'm no better than Vernon. Had he had my home life and I had his, things might be entirely different for both of us.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Very well said, though I will never hold him high as a person, just read this from his own son:

http://www.sporttaco.com/rec.sport.basketball.pro/For_Vernon_Maxwell_A_Legacy_Tarnished_3240.html

Also if any of the allegations regarding giving a woman herpes when he knew he had it, that is a terrible thing to do, regardless of his childhood. That being said, he's still in charity games and playing with plenty of former players and I'm sure if he were that messed up, they would not want anything to do with him. Still, I would love to read about Max making amends with his family, which he might have done already.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

This is like post of the year material dude. I should have known..you're a 99er.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...shots-ring-true-20-years-after-5404760.php#/0