1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[vent]CC fraud

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

UGH I am sooo upset right now. I logon onto my Circuit city account to pay my balance on my credit and I notice that the balance on my card is 7200 dollars and not the 500 dollars it should have been. Apparently someone last week charged 6700 dollars on my card which obviously sent my blood pressure through the roof. What really upset me and also worries me a bit was I never even activated this credit card. I signed up for the card to make my big tv purchase over a year ago but never activated it since. I've used the card a few more times at the store but have always had to jump through loops on the phone with the bank (chase) to verify it was me using the card and not anyone else. I didnt have a problem with this because if anything it added a little bit more of security for myself (at least I thought)

I looked at the reference number for the purchase and noticed that it was purchased at the store I frequent which relieved me a bit since I used to work at the store when I was in school and knew all the managers there. So i went in and its all going to be taken care of, but its just all a pain, I am hoping it doesnt affect my credit score (it will temporarily) in the long run.

It looked like someone at circuit city somehow got my info and used it to make the purchase it was an inside job and I dont know if they would still have my HR file at that particular store to obtain any of the information necessary to get the auth number from the bank to make the purchase. The manager is getting to the bottom of it he is going to get the people responsible he has it all on tape. the stupid thing is that I go to that store maybe once a week to buy dvds and all so everyone there knows me esp all the managers since i was a former employee, apparently this guy was a new hire.

Is there any way I can take legal action against circuit city or the people responsible if this does have an adverse affect on my credit even after it gets taken care of?

oh and for those of those who were interested it was a 52 samsung lcd 120hz 1080p that was bought, a bose lifestyle v20 home theater system (a blu-ray/HD player built in) and another hdtv that added up to the whopping price tag.

tinman would approve for the quality of the purchase, i just want to get it all straightened out.

:mad: :mad:

/end rant

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

OH NO! :(

Maybe you can get CC to fly you out to every Rockets game for the next 3 years for your trouble.

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

So let me get this straight... which CC are you talking about, Carl Crawford or C.C. Sabathia? :p ;)

4. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I looked at the thread title and for a second I thought you abreviated CC for ClutchCity.

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

lol folks are getting lazier by the second. theres acronyms for everything now. i'm surprised the title wasn't: [v] CC F

6. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

l o l

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

A couple of years ago someone purchased a laptop from Walmart on my CC, and the dumbasses had it shipped to my house. After talking with the UPS delivery guy, who was very cool, he was able to attain the other sip to address and I passed it onto the credit card company. They immediately erased the purchase from my account and charged the girl in MN. with credit card fraud. Have no idea what penalty she received, but I was surprised at how quickly the CC company fixed the situation.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You could probably jump in a class action suit against store retailers who have lax standards in keeping your private info when you opt in their store cards. There's a link I read awhile back describing how stores pressure their clerks to push it on customers so much that the clerks usually fill in consent to speed up the process and make it all the more convenient for the user. The clerks also get some performance incentive, so what could possibly go wrong?

9. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

If you get it fixed, then it will not have any negative impact on your credit history.

Last year, someone stole my mom's wallet and used my Alaska Airlines credit card at a nail salon and made some other purchases. I quickly called the credit card's I.D. Theft division and they were amazingly helpful. Since my mom only uses my card to purchase gas (and get me free flier miles) the found it odd that there was all these random purchases. It didn't even show up on my credit history and the credit card took all the charges off.

But I know the frustration you are feeling. It is the most annoying thing in the word. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy! You really feel somewhat helpless and violated that another human being would do that. The thing that really pissed me off was that the girl who stole my mom's wallet also stole a picture of my mom and my grandma which he had held on to from her childhood and since my grandma had passed away, it was really important to her. I did my best to try and find the lady and ask her to keep the cash and whatever and just give back that picture! But I wasn't that lucky! :(

10. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

To be completely honest, more than half the clerks and owners don't care one bit about fraud C.C. purchases because they still get their money. I remember I called the nail salon where my card was used and the owner didn't give a crap. Her attitude really pissed me off because on the back off the card where the signature bar is (and where stores are supposed to check before running the card) I had wrote "CHECK I.D." with a black sharpie! But they don't really care! The C.C. takes the hit and gives the store its money.