1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Velasquez Called Up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cardpire, Jun 8, 2015.

1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agreed. I also like that we aren't suffering through long periods of suckitude from the likes of Villar/Fausto. Pulling the plug on these guys as regulars in early June is a great sign, and it is sends a message to the other players: Don't stink or it could be your a$$.

I really want Villar gone as the corresponding move to VV coming up.

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Correa and now VV. Jeez I love it. All our prospects are coming up now!

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yeah...I am kind of surprised they did not DFA Hernandez (although they still could). With Straily, Peacock, Asher, etc., Hernandez is redundant.

Villar still has value, especially if they could transplant a brain into him.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Ohhh Dominguez probably regrets turning down guaranteed money from the Astros now. He may still have a career, but now he is going to have to earn every nickle.

As an Astro fan, there are two bullets we dodged, Dominguez and Grossman turning down nice contracts. Singleton is a prudent person, and he did agreed and sign his contract. Singleton is probably fond of it is better to have one bird in the hand than two in the bushes...

I bet 8 million might look pretty good to Grossman now.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think the two are necessarily mutually exclusive. I think right now, we're just trying to get a head start on finding out what it is we have with these two. There's no way Correa and either one of McCullers/Velasquez would be included in the deal, so we're just positioning ourselves to be in a position of strength once the trade deadline gets closer.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Players are too quick to let the union and the agents bully them into making unsafe decisions. They would have been rich, not stupidly rich, but it would have been a life altering amount. If they were actually good, they would have made more money than they know what to do with, and the lost earnings would have been an afterthought.

Instead there is a good chance these guys might have to work 9 to 5's for the majority of their life. Just because something may benefit the club in the long run, doesn't mean it's a bad thing for you. Baseball's union has gone out of their way to protect the interest of the top 20% over the life security of the working class players

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

another example is aikens

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed. But I am happy they are trying one before doing the other.

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This bods well for Appel. He get's the notice that if he performs well. He will get the call-up.

Luhnow letting the players get their chance. I love it.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Appel didn't need that notice.

The Astros promoted him out of Lancaster far quicker than any normal player would have deserved. If he had succeeded at all this year he would be in the rotation right now.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm fairly certain every single player in every minor league system operates under this assumption. What could he have possibly thought before yesterday?