1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Velasquez Called Up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cardpire, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Great to see elite prospects getting called up.

Awesome time to be an Astros fan........ :)

2. The Drake

The Drake Member

October Is Coming.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Really changes what may or may not happen today. Exchanging Velasquez for Buchanan makes that move make more since, but now that means someone else is gone from the 25 and 40-man roster.

I think the right move would be to DFA Hernandez or Deduno, and option Villar.

4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I kind of thought Hernandez would get moved to bullpen.

Glad to see V man come up

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Buchanan was demoted to make room for Correa. Imagine it's going to be Villar moved for Velasquez since Hernandez is sticking around.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Feldman is only out 4-6 weeks. I don't think he'd go on the 60-day unless there was a setback.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so much a complete and utter shock, but I would've expected one of them to at least do enough to get the call in the event RobertoFausto struggled.

I guess I look at that set of guys (Woj, Peacock, Straily, and White), and they seem to have a bit more upside than the typical AAA washout type of years' past.

To your point, I'm not sure I would expect to make a statement that one of them will be a difference maker in the future with our (or any other team's) typical AAA rotation (not counting guys just passing through on the way to The Show).

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like K% and BB% better than WHIP, and even then the difference in WHIP is very small and I would treat the WHIPs as the same.

I too am surprised that either Straily or Woj hasn't performed well enough to be in majors.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Cycle is now Keuchel, Velasquez, Oberholtzer, McHugh, McCullers. Damn, I really like that group.

10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

White Sox are looking at two dynamic young arms with the best pitcher in the AL in the middle. When was the last time our Astros threw a 3 man set like that at someone???

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We haven't had great young arms in a long time. Probably have to go all the way back to 01 with the Oswalt, Miller, Hernandez trio.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Faustberto to the bullpen is effectively a "delay the inevitable" move...

Would you be against bringing up Feliz again to stay in the bullpen?

13. The Drake

The Drake Member

Not at all. Would welcome the youngster back with open arms

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Would love to see Feliz up and in the pen. We are pretty much going "all in" with our young kids right now anyway, much rather see Feliz in the pen than Fausto

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd rather he got regular work as a starter at this point. Maybe after a while in AA since he just got there.

I imagine VV will be on a very short leash since he's mostly pitched out of the tandem and hasn't had many opportunities to stretch it out yet. I'm betting Hernandez pitches at least a couple innings tonight.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I really dislike this 1:1, apples-to-apples type approach; it flies in the face of even a semblence of critical thought. Valesquez has been in the team's system for 5 years; McCullers 3. This is just Appel's second. Sure, yeah - there are reasons to be concerned about Appel - but not in relation to two more experienced players moving through the system faster, imo. That's an unfair evaluation of Appel. Plus, it's very possible Appel simply isn't as good as VV and LMJ - but that doesn't mean he's not good.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Just to be a garbage time long man, it seems like a waste. I'd prefer he get some regular innings against AA competition, as he is still yet to prove himself there. Not that I think he won't, but High A is effectively as high as he has gone. He wasn't particularly great at QC last year either.

I'm fine leaving him down to keep working.

18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't young arms, but Clemens-Pettitte-Oswalt was as nasty as they come.

As for Feliz, I feel pretty good about our short inning bullpen guys - I'd rather see Feliz continue to develop as a starter than convert him now.

Then again, we'll see how Oberholtzer comes together. If he struggles, it may be worth a shot.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure anybody is treating them all "equal". If anything, Appel being a 4 year college pitcher and the #1 overall pick in the draft does put his "minor league experience" time in a different light, and people are justified to question his slower progress.

But I agree that he may just not be as good as the two guys who've just lapped him.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think this is the case at the moment. VV and McCullers were arguably the two best pitchers in the Texas League so far. Granted, it was in a small sample size.