1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegas Summer League

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by KlutchQT, Jun 14, 2015.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

1. Anybody going?
    2. Anybody ever gone? Worth the trip?
    3. Anybody know when the schedule gets released?

I'm thinking of going solo -- 99.9% sure I'm gonna do it. The tickets are on sale, but there doesn't appear to be a schedule out yet. I wanna book my travel while flights/hotels are still affordable, but I'm not sure if I should just pick random dates and hope the Rockets play a few times in that span or what. Do they not release it until the last minute, or what?

2. Play07

Play07 Member

how much are tickets and do you have a link ? only found utah tickets through NBA.com for a 3 day pass

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Note, the Rockets don't always go to Vegas. Sometimes they go to Orlando.

People will go if the Rockets are there and we have a first rounder. It's been done many times....Lamb, White, TJones and Dmo all as rookies was much fun. But if we trade away our first rounder, won't be a big crowd. And few will go if Rockets don't even play there.

If Llull shows up, count on me going. But doubt he would.

Best to raise this issue again after the draft.

4. KlutchQT

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Direct link http://bit.ly/1FSzvCv

Got it from their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NBASummerLeague/photos/a.110982673572.117641.106102338572/10153452435218573/?type=1

They recently changed to having a tournament to crown a champion. That puts a little more difficulty in pre-booking if you want to watch EVERY game, cuz Rockets can be eliminated a couple days early

It is Las Vegas, where even if the Rockets aren't playing, there are still things to do away from the b-ball. Compared to, Utah ... If you're a bball fan in general, the non-Rockets NBA experience might still be fun too. That of course means more money is needed, but not like it'd be a total loss. Maybe can book short with flexibility to extend days if need be, and just accept the extra cost if extra days are added on.

1 person likes this.
  6. Play07

Play07 Member

Thanks for the info, I'm going to be in Puerto Rico 30th-7th may go to Vegas that weekend when I come back or m-w when hotels are cheaper if rockets are are still playing as you say.

But would like to see what happens draft night if we use picks, & see if Capela & KJ will be playing in Vegas also. I remember last yr some guys played with team in Orlando but sat out in Vegas

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If the Rockets have a first rounder, Clutch usually goes. And when he goes, many follow.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo KJ is going to get decent offers from some teams and bolt…..a couple months sitting on our bench won't make GM's forget the tremendous upside he showed in philly

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I went in 2012, going again this year with a few of my fellow clutchfans. I'll be there from Thursday, the 9th to Tuesday, the 14th. Staying at the Venetian and renting a car to drive back and forth to the arena.

I had an amazing time in 2012, I would highly recommend it. It's easy to meet players, as they usually just sit in the stands like everyone else, the tickets allow re-entry so you can come and go as you please.

edit- Those VIP courtside prices are crazy. With the General Admission you can get pretty close to courtside in the Thomas and Mack arena. The Cox Pavilion is like a high school gym with limited seating, so there's not a bad view there at all, just gotta get there a few minutes early to get a seat. We didn't have any seating problems there. When we went to the first game at Thomas and Mack, we sat in like the 8th row, plenty of space for everyone. We were sitting next to a Trailblazers scout, it's really cool being around all these people who watch basketball for a living.

1 person likes this.
  10. Space City

Space City Member

The Rockets will be participating in Vegas, and even if they also participate in Utah or Orlando, it seems Vegas is the one to go to. If you'll remember, last year the only real notable guys who played in Orlando were Nick Johnson and Tarik Black and that team was rather terrible outside of Nick being a human highlight reel. Then in Vegas, we played Canaan, Covington, and DMo and that team was much better (note that Daniels didn't play, because he was working on a new contract). So, I wouldn't expect KJ to play as he will be in the same position as Daniels was last year. But, if you want to see Johnson, Capela, and maybe even Papa, Vegas is the place to go. Plus, we can all hope Llull plays there, but it's unlikely.

11. Space City

Space City Member

Ok, I just looked it up and we won't be participating in Orlando or Utah, so ignore the first part, but the rest of what I said should hold true.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Definitely go for the experience, I've been to 3 ('10,12,14), going to my 4th next month.

Schedule should be out soon, they announced it around June 12 last year, it's a safe bet you will at least see 2 games if u book the first weekend, since it is Tournament style format where they play at least 4 games in the first week. Last year, they played on Sat/Sun/Tues and I flew back on Wednesday. Looking at last year's schedule, everybody plays 3 games in the first 5 days, gets seeded by record, and it is double elimination, so every team plays at least 5 games. So it's either going to be Fri/Sat/Mon, Sat/Sun/Tues. I don't think any team played 3 games in 3 days.

They play about 4 games in each arena for the first few days and you can leave after a game, then come back if you wish. If you bring a backpack, they inspect you're bag, but have gotten away with bringing food/drinks in if it is in your bag.

The crowds have been getting bigger every year I've gone, they really do need to schedule the bigger teams and/or higher draft pick teams in the Thomas and Mack Center as oppose to the smaller Cox Pavilion (seats around 3k). They were dumb enough to have the Bucks/Cavs game in Cox Pavilion on the first day that had Parker/Wiggins playing that game.

The joy of it is seeing the former Rockets, like back in the '90s, seen Chucky Brown, Randy Livingston, Tracy Murray, all were cool as hell to talk to.

Plus seeing Royce White bling out in a silver suit at 3am on the strip was unreal.....

#12 Dave2000, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. KlutchQT

Thanks, all. The schedule is out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Oh look it's the Las Vegas Summer League schedule (not including tournament): <a href="http://t.co/q9mmWuIi5c">pic.twitter.com/q9mmWuIi5c</a></p>&mdash; Adi Joseph (@AdiJoseph) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdiJoseph/status/610855389140287488">June 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

awesome find, looks like I'm catching all 3 games, happy that it is Fri/Sun/Mon since UFC will be on Saturday night!

15. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

if you're interested in the possibility of sharing a hotel room KlutchQT, let me know. Lol I waited until schedule was published to book, looking at rates now & of course they've gone up. Not liking the idea of paying $600 after resorts fees for 4 nights for a room by myself.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Since Kwame might not be attending this year, I guess I'll have to sub in as resident guide.

17. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Summer League is fun. Games all day. Get to meet some NBA people. Plus Vegas afterward. One of my better vacation experiences.

18. KlutchQT

I'll email you through here tomorrow :)

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

damn ill be heading to vegas at the end of the week when summer league is over:(