1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegans and Vegetarians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Raven

Raven Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qI0RoJz7Tno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm no vegan but its a good. Its definitely not the best mex food in town, but for vegan choices I am sure it is the mex in town then.

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

My girlfriend's sister helps run that place and has from day one. We eat breakfast there every time we visit Austin.

She will be pleased to hear we have some Houstonians who love the place.

4. CertifiedTroll

Meal 1: Take a large chunk of lettuce and put motor oil on it. (That'll man you up)
    Meal 2: Buy a bull, eat the whole thing while its alive starting with the crotch. Go cry. Vomit it out. Tadahh you fought your craving.
    Meal 3: 5 Pinto Beans, and some grass from outside
    You made it through the day soldier!

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If I recall, I was angry because some guy told all vegans never to come into his restaurant because they were all whiny complainers and bad tippers which is bull**** and which is I think is a reasonable thing to be angry about. But I don't really know. I am often angry when it's unreasonable to be so too. It's an unfortunate symptom of a personality disorder I have, which essentially boils down to: yes, I am angry. Sucks for me, sucks more for those around me, sucks for my wallet as I spend a ton of money on therapy, but it is what it is. People often tell others they seem angry like it's a thing the other can opt to correct but it often is not a thing that one can correct; would that it were.

But thank you for the kind words about my diet.

As to your questions, I don't eat curries that include yogurt; I do eat curries that don't use it.

My diet began as an ethical thing and then just, over the years, turned into a "that's not food to me" thing. After more than 20 years vegan I tried to reintroduce meat and dairy into my diet for health reasons and I couldn't do it mostly just because I found it too gross. It was like a disgusting feast of filth every time I tried it and it was a chore beyond measure to swallow it. That experiment did not last long.

I am compassionate for living creatures, it's true. But it's only because they are already living and they feel fear and they feel pain. And meat eating is so, so unnecessary. So I do consider the wholesale breeding and slaughter of animals for food to be pretty abhorrent. But none of that is because I value life. I don't really. I just can't get down with violence and suffering.

But I don't go to protests or wear t-shirts about it or give people a hard time when they eat what they eat. I live by my own system of ethics because it feels right to me; I'm not interested in visiting my ethics on others in this matter. I accept meat. And unnecessary suffering exists throughout our society, to humans and to other animals. It's just another absurdity of living in the age in which we live.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok so tell me about tofu and different types, how to cook it, and how to season it.

I am doing some reading about it on the "internet" and I just wanted to get some different opinions here.

Tonight I did a mirepoix with some garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. I also made some roasted potatoes with garlic and butter. After those cooked for a bit i added my chicken to the mirepoix and boom...had a nice dinner. Then I was chatting with a vegetarian friend as I was eating it dawned on me that I didn't even really need the chicken and that might be able to sub tofu for the chicken.

How exactly would I go about doing this substitution? I guess I am going to find some tofu at the grocery store tomorrow (I don't even know where it is at the store) and try to cook it and probably **** it up lol.

Any suggestions or recipes would be awesome!

7. trustme

trustme Member

Why do vegans not eat dairy products?

8. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Where does milk come from?

9. trustme

trustme Member

Where does the manure that is used in soil come from?

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Where does the soil come from?

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I've usually seen tofu around the produce section, in the cold/wet areas. Usually a section with tofu and other vegetarian/vegan foods (vegan cheeses, various meat substitutes, etc.).

I don't really use a lot of tofu, and haven't really used it for something like this. But I'm guessing the instructions would be something like this:
    http://www.veganmeat.com/recipes2/chickentofu.html
    When I've used it before, it has been like that (but with different seasonings and different directions depending on what I'm using it with). Someone else might be able to provide a specific recipe/advice if they've done something like this with tofu before.

I've been hit and miss with tofu. I've had more luck with seitan, and I've been wanting to try chickpea cutlets at some point too. Might be a recipe that uses textured vegetable protein (TVP) too (I use that more as a ground beef substitute though).

Not vegan (like cheese too much...although I've wanted to try some vegan versions). But probably for same reason they avoid meat (ethical/environmental/health/etc. concerns). I've actually been trying some almond milk recently (first time), and I actually like its taste a lot more than regular milk. It is also really easy to make (basically water + almonds), although I haven't gotten around to trying to make it myself. Some vegan meals are just quicker/easier/cheaper to make/eat/drink than non-vegan.

12. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

that ppk recipe for chickpea cutlets is SOOOOOOOO good. and i've made her seitan before, it's delicious but annoying to make. veganomicon is just a really, really great cookbook.

pressed tofu will be easier than the tofu sold in most produce sections. silken tofu is only good if you want to blend it in smoothies. that **** tastes like flavorless jello otherwise. also the firm tofu they have, pressing out the water will help a lot when trying to cook with it as a meat substitute. i have a tofu xpress which makes it really easy.

i eat meat now. that's right, i'm now no better than any of you assholes taunting vegans with pictures of steak. i still find the meat industry morally reprehensible, but let's be real, my morals are shot anyways.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm a big believer in evolution and think we have canine teeth for a reason and that reason is to rip flesh into little sizes that we can swallow.

Snark aside, here are some generalizations based on anecdotal experiences...

Most vegetarians are cool and I may even occasionally have a week or so where I do mostly vegetarian stuff.

Vegans seem more messianic. For some, it's not enough to share a table... they feel compelled to point out the evil of your ways and are constantly trying to get you to watch "the documentary" or read "the book" that will automatically turn you into a member of their faith. I had one tell me I disappointed them because they thought I was smart, yet I still ate meat. And cheese. (I could do without meat, but you'll pry the extra sharp cheddar from my cold, dead hands.)

In sum: All's good, I just wish some of the more ardent vegans would lighten up a little.

14. RC Cola

There's some vegan cheddar cheese recipes I've been wanting to try. If I can get that to turn out great, I can probably go vegan pretty easily. I've tried that Daiya cheese and enjoyed it, but it is just too expensive (and I go through a lot of cheese).

Don't have high hopes, but I honestly didn't think I'd find a good vegan gravy either.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

vegan cheese downright sucks. major reason i couldn't do it long.

this, THIS is the most heavenly gravy i've tasted: ppk mushroom gravy. we always make it at thanksgiving to go on the mashed potatoes and tofurky.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm just looking for some different options since I am kind of bored with the chicken, beef, or fish. Tons of people eat vegetarian so I figured there has to be something to it. I'd also like to minimize how many animals I am responsible for eating a year. I've tried to completely eliminate pig from my diet just for moral reasons. Pigs are pretty smart animals....but I have trouble getting down with the vegan thing too. Like there are different levels of vegans or something ridiculous. It just doesn't make sense to me, but whatever makes someone happy is fine with me.

And I'm not a huge cheese eater anymore. Back in college I would eat a ****in block of cheddar by itself lol. I've cut back a lot on it, but I still love milk and I use whey protein often. Soy milk is just gross to me. Almond milk I can see why people like it, but I just can't get into it yet.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/02/tofu-versus-seitan-taste-texture-and.html

Just found this blog comparing seitan and tofu. I guess I'll stop by Whole Foods and see what I can figure out there.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Has anyone tried quorn? I just read a little about it.

19. RC Cola

I mostly survived off it as a vegetarian until recently. I prefer their substitutes over some other brands (though may vary from product to product). They just make meat products that don't have meat (chicken, burgers, "ground beef," etc.). Some of them aren't that great compared to real meat, but not bad. It is pretty expensive and hard to find though. I usually used it for their ground beef, before realizing I could pretty much make my own with TVP (and much cheaper). Trying to do more TVP, seitan, tofu, and various other recipes (black bean burgers, chickpea cutlets, etc.) to get me off solely Quorn/Morningstar/etc. products.

I actually don't think seitan is too hard to make, although it is a little time consuming (needs to boil for 40-60 minutes IIRC). Basically just using gluten (can buy from most stores) and some various broths/seasonings. I haven't even tried store-bought seitan (they probably have more practice getting the flavor right, but I like playing around with the flavor).

20. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I would avoid tofu and any other soy related products unless you have Japanese genetics. You're over thinking things, eat choice cuts of meat once in a while as long as they're lean and cooked well. Don't justify it because pigs are pink and your girlfriend has pink slippers. If you wanna go veg, there are plenty of sources of protein better than tofu.