1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vegans and Vegetarians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You might want to check out this new Praetorian fad. I'm pretty much sold on it and am about to order the kit. The best part about it is that you can eat whatever you want because the armor is so heavy that you stay in excellent shape.

[​IMG]

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I love Radical Eats. I'm at the Eastside Farmers Market every Saturday morning, unless I have a Friday night gig. They cook and sell breakfast foods, mainly tamales, out there. Delicious. Another good source for things vegan is Pat Greer and YahRaw Kitchen. They also sell stuff out there, although they don't cook at the Farmers Market. I get bags of sprouted sunflower seeds (with sea salt), kale chips, flatbreads and soup mixes from her. She also makes this vegan pesto dip that kicks ass. Damn good stuff.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

All-steak diet. Yum. ;)

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Obvious troll is obvious, but if you'd give it a shot, you'd be amazed at how good vegan cooking can be. Vegan pizza was, bar none, the best I've ever had in my life.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I always knew you couldn't resist the taste of fish.

1 person likes this.
  6. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

7. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

oops, Michelin STAR...not just Michelin.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not a vegan or vegetarian.

I do eat a vegan breakfast. A bowl of Kashi Go Lean and unsweetened almond milk.

When eating out, if the restaurant has a good vegetarian option, I order it. Some restaurant are easier than others. Dimassi buffet has lots of veggie options. Blackeyed Pea has a 5 vegetable dinner plate.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i am a foodie and i eat everything. i try to eat meat ( and everything else for that matter ) in moderation for health reasons. i have no ethical dilemma with it but certainly understand those who do. most of my vegan/vegetarian friends are still into food. i find brightside's indifference to food puzzling.

10. thegary

you see, i love veg. love greens, salads, squashes, lentils, grains, nuts, everything. love food, red meat included.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I like meat too. I limit my intake as much as I can for health and ecological reasons.

But cooking without it doesn't make food "boring".

It's the opposite, really. You have to be more creative.

Yes, but we're in a part of the world where it is far from the norm.

12. thegary

i don't think it is boring, just that meat cannot be "replaced" in terms of umami. i tend to only buy humanely raised, anti-biotic free product. it costs more but i do feel better about both the quality and the process. i have nothing bad to say about people's diets. food happens to be one of the things in life that bring me immense pleasure.

13. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Amen, can't imagine life wo meat. It's like telling a teenager there no women left on earth:grin:

14. Voice of Reason

Ive been a vegetarian for 20 plus years. Heres what I normally eat:

Breakfast: Eggs, oatmeal, toasted peanut butter sandwiches, or cereal (healthy cereal).

Lunch: Green Smoothie with a hand full of nuts.

Dinner: Same meals as everyone else except with meat substitutes. Meat substitutes consist of soy or wheat gluten products.

Restaurants: Almost every restaurant has at least one or two items on the menu that I can eat. They either have a specific vegetarian item, or they have something like pasta. Some restaurants will have things that are not on the menu. For instance, Hut’s Hamburger in Austin has had a vegetarian chicken fried steak that they've sold for 25 years, but has never been listed on the menu. Larger chain restaurants like Chilies, can have a large selection of choices that vegetarians might not be aware of.

http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis_Vegetarian_Menu_Generic.pdf

The best restaurants for vegetarians are Italian, Indian, Greek, and other ethic restaurants. The only time I ever have problems finding food is when I go to small Mom and Pop type restaurants out in the country. I try to avoid those places. Some fast food places, like McDonalds can be are not worth going to either.

1 person likes this.
  15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm not vegan, but many of my friends are. I've had a lot of really delicious vegan food.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

i wish houston had a fraction of the meatless options available in austin. It's amazing. Walk down sixth and get a veggie dog with all the trimmings, portobella paninis, or seitan bbq. I love austin food. :(

17. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

"Certain eaters." And yet you asked all vegans not to come to your restaurant. I expect that fried chicken and watermelon are your most popular dishes with blacks and that all gays that come in call you "girlfriend." Do you have the same problems with stereotypes of race and sexuality as you do of special diets?

I second guess nothing except the ingredients when my food arrives and quite obviously has been cooked with a chicken stock or some similar thing after I've been told absolutely it won't. When I send my food back or question it once it has arrived, I am told 99% of the time that "oh yeah you're right, there's chicken or cheese or butter or milk." About 5% of the time they apologize for promising then breaking the promise and feeding me something that makes me literally ill.

Even so, I don't say if you're a waiter please stop working at restaurants.

Also, I am not picky at all as long as my food is vegan. And I am so grateful when restaurants/waiters/chefs are sensitive to that that I always leave 50% tip or higher.

Watch the broad brush, bro.

18. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

So true. I literally travel there sometimes just to go eat. I have about 50 friends in Austin, about 10 very close ones, but sometimes I just go there w/my gf for 3 squares and drive back home without seeing a friend at all.

Mr. Natural is amazing. Also Bouldin Creek. So many great options in Austin. And soy chorizo breakfast tacos everywhere.

19. thegary

i can only imagine how ****ty it is to be vegan and to eat out. are you a good cook, batman?

20. Garner

Garner Member