1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Vassilis Spanoulis and Carl Landry traded for Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HornRocket, Dec 8, 2011.

1. HornRocket

HornRocket Member

That's what you Morey bashers are complaining about. Every trade you complain. And pretty much every trade Morey comes out ahead. And then you complain about the giving up the players you didn't like in the previous acquisitions.

1 person likes this.
  2. arjun

arjun Member

this is the stupidest way of looking at things....if a 2nd round pick turned out to be manu ginobili..and then you trade him for jason kapono and say "oh we got jason kapono for a 2nd round pick" then id call you an idiot

3. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Very clever and accurate title.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So it's ok to trade Kobe Bryant for Darko, right :rolleyes:

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

if we give up Dragic too, then it would Aaron Brooks too, right?

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think we gave up that much for that little.

we gave up more talent than gasol is worth, i agree. but we gave them up for added cap space. its the extra $3-4M in cap space that we overpaid for.

7. HornRocket

HornRocket Member

Just saying. Morey doesn't whiff on these deals, and the sole reason people are pissed off is because they like the players he has acquired basically out of thin air.

8. HornRocket

HornRocket Member

Yes, by all means. Feel free to include Aaron Brooks

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Well that's oversimplifying it, but point made

10. Moleb

Moleb Member

but the timing is horrible. We will get a middle tier draft pick and still be average. Gasol is on the decline. How will this benefit us long term. Even short term? Gasol wont take us to the playoffs, neither scola, nor martin could take us into the playoffs? How do we benefit? Explain?

11. Audioout

Audioout Member

Yeah? Well, the Lakers traded Kwame Brown, Marc Gasol for Chris Paul and Dwight Howard. :mad:

12. HornRocket

HornRocket Member

And without simplifying it, I'd say it's pretty obvious Morey is working to build a team for the new coach. Out are two of the biggest defensive liabilities for an All Star big.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Based on the title.... it makes it sound like gave up very little for a lot. It's just showing the flaw in that way of thinking.

14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Spanoulis would be at least the 2nd best player on the Rockets roster. I would not brag about him being traded like it was such a huge gain.

They lost a guy that would be an all star point guard in the NBA for 10 years.

15. inflight

inflight New Member

really??

I have yet to dislike one of Moreys moves and i hope he makes me eat my words but this is an AWFUL trade!! How can anyone be happy about this? we are getting a player that is soft and disappears in the playoffs, for scola AND martin AND...... really? I have to be i am at least happy for scola/martin maybe they can win a championship now they are not here!!! and that is the dumbest thing ever... we traded MARTIN/SCOLA for gasol.. pissed off rocket fan here!! -- honestly wouldve rather had andrew bynum.. at least he has potential, and he gets injured a lot which fits the houston style of play

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe, maybe not. in the timeline of DM's roster moves the title is correct. it's a matter of perspective. was this a good trade for the rockets? depends on how they use the cap space and gasol as an asset. did morey turn vspan and landry into pau gasol over matter of seasons? yes.

the fact is morey is going a great job of upgrading the value of our assets. assets doesn't always mean production value on the court. it can mean trade value (as i believe pau has greater trade value than the players we traded for him) and cap space.

i think the rockets gave up on court production for trade value and cap space. so the team will produce worse on the court but we are still winners by getting greater value in return for what we gave up.

17. sinobball

sinobball Member

I thought he was a shooting guard.

18. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Spanoulis is a point guard. Navarro is a shooting guard.

19. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I pretty much dislike this trade as well but it's mostly because I hate Pau. I'll reserve judgement on the trade for now. Morey made some cap space let's see what happens with that. He got rid of 2 defensive holes 2 players I really like Scola especially, but for a player I don't like at all. He's a Rocket for now though so I do like him. I know NO had a whole to fill so he probably had to give up a pg. I don't understand the draft pick, but maybe it's New York's. Melo/Stoudamire/Chandler will almost certainly have a good record. Lull is supposed to be coming next year so Morey made some room. Hopefully it end up better than it initially looks.