1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Varsity letter jacket?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rage, May 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. rage

rage Member

I want your opinion on something.
    My daughter is a freshman on her high school varsity soccer team. She just got awarded a varsity letter jacket and we are supposed to order it next week. With all of the patches, it could cost close to $200.
    The problem is her district is re-zoned and she will go to another high school next year. I'd like to know how important a varsity letter jacket is to high-school-ers. Should I spend the money for something that she is not going to wear at all?

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no. I never wore mine and i don't know many people that did

3. Southern Select

It's not about wearing it. It's a keepsake that she earned. She will love it more in 30 years then she will now. Or in 30 years she will think "I would love to see my old letter jacket but my dad wouldn't buy me one."

4. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

but she will get another one next year. SHe will have one...does she need 2?

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't how great it is for girls, but I think for guys it carries more value. For a guy if you like a girl you can let her wear it, sort of a way to mark your territory.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Unless you're R. Kelly.

3 people like this.
  7. Southern Select

She will get four is she earns four. Even though it seems like a forgone conclusion that it will happen - things change. There is a chance, for whatever unforeseen reasons, that this will be it.

My wife's evil stepmother sold her letter jackets at a garage sale while she was at college (her team won state). They can be treasures later in life.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

If you can afford it, then you should probably get it. Or how about you lending her the money and let her pay you back. She could do chores around the house or make money babysitting or something.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

what? four letter jackets? you don't get a jacket each year...you just add patches.

I'd see if you can just get a patch. Next time she earns a letter jacket at her new school, she can just add it there.

A letter jacket is not that big of a deal. Sure it brings back memories, but just go look at your yearbooks. At some point you have to move one.

10. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Like DonkeyMagic said, she'll letter again at her new school, so she'll get a jacket.

It's an accomplishment and an impressive feat to letter in your freshman year. I'd say...if you can afford it AND she really wants it, buy it.

If she didn't give a damn...well then there's no reason in buying it now is there? I'd talk to her about it to see if she really wanted it (since you didn't state she would want it)

11. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Possibly try asking her how she feels about it? She might have a better read on things than people in the BBS.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

/thread

13. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

She can just order the patches that show her accomplishments..then when she gets her jacket for her new school she can get it put on.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Get it for her, dude. Part of having kids is spending money AND positive reinforcement.

15. rage

rage Member

We are talking about it. I just thought it's good to hear from people who've been thru it.
    My daughter wants the jacket a lot but it's not a absolute must have, do or die thing, I don't think.
    I can afford it but I am teaching her not to waste money. I am suggesting to her that I'll get her a smart phone like a blackberry instead which will cost me even more. She is un-decided still.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Depends on the school. At my school, they were very much a point of pride, and were worn often. I still have mine 20 years later. I say get her the jacket. In 20 years, she won't care that she had a smart phone.

17. rage

rage Member

This is a good idea. Does it make sense to have another school's logo on the jacket though?
    I'll suggest it to her.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My little sister plays Varsity soccer and LOVES her Lettermen. She wears it all the time so I would assume your daughter would love it as well.

If you can afford it just buy it.

19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Interesting. Back in my day, we didn't have to pay for the jackets. They were given to us by the school if we earned them. Then you'd add letters as you earned them.

But yeah, you should shell out the $200 for sure. You don't want your daughter to be the only one on her team without one.

20. rage

rage Member

You mis-read my original post.
    She won't be at the same high school next year. If she does wear it there, she will be the only one who does. ;)
    BTW, she did say she wants to wear it at the new school but I told her she would not want to do that, right?