1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Varejao to Grizzlies?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by roswell raygun, Jul 3, 2007.

1. roswell raygun

A coveted free agent power forward may be off the market.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/17449461.htm

Cavs' Varejao gets hefty contract offer
    Move puts team in danger of paying luxury tax

By Brian Windhorst
    Beacon Journal sportswriter
    As expected, the Cavaliers may have a difficult decision upcoming with free agent big man Anderson Varejao.
    According to an NBA executive, Varejao has been presented with a hefty contract offer in excess of the league's mid-level exception, which is around $6 million for next season.
    Such an offer could be for up to five years and around $40 million or more. Only a handful of teams have cap space to make such an offer, but the one likely after Varejao is the Memphis Grizzlies.
    An active player and rebounder, he fits with the up-tempo style of new coach Marc Iavaroni.
    Varejao is a restricted free agent, which means the Cavs would have the option to match an offer sheet he could sign with another team.
    Offer sheets can't be signed until July 11 and the Cavs would then have a week to match.
    Team sources indicate the Cavs would like to keep Varejao but they are wary of overpaying as they head into the luxury tax next season. Which makes the decision complex, especially with Drew Gooden as the team's starter.
    Varejao is currently out of the country and is preparing to play for Brazil in the FIBA Americas Championship in August.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

This should be posted in the NBA Dish

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is the market, it looks like we're not going to get any quality at 4 with just a MLE.

We're going to need a Sign and Trade. Not surprising - size costs money.

I see Battier, Brooks, and Sura to Portland for Magloire, Frye & Rudy Fernandez.

Portland is overloaded with big men. They want Battier, and can use Brooks.

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think Darko will end up taking an MLE deal. It may not be with us, but I think he will.

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Great player, but i'll pass up!! :confused:

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm a die-hard Cavs fan, and I love Varejao's heart and hustle. He was one of the few on the team who had that. But I wouldn't want to resign him at that price. Are teams getting more desparate or is this indicative of what's left in FA?

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Portland has a hole at sf, but their plan is to let the youngsters play together for 2 years, then they'll have some cap money and can get a big name sf (or pg if their young points don't cut it). I think Battier might be too old for them, but his professionalism will certainly set a nice example. I also believe Magliore is a free agent, and am not convinced he can play pf.

8. SmitingPurpleEm

If Varejao can get 5 years $40 million based on hustle and defense/flopping alone.... I shudder to think what Darko will get based on the supposed untapped potential of his skill. At this rate he's getting Nene money for sure and we aren't going to be able to get him. I guess we'll have to settle for retreads like Joe Smith.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Obviously, wrong forum, but...

Seems like a stupid signing at the price, but that's said every year. Remember their Brian Cardinal signing a few years back...ridiculous.

According to this article, the teams with cap space, and approx. $ available to spend (assuming a $57 million cap), are:

Charlotte Bobcats, $31.2 M
    Milwaukee Bucks, $18.3 M
    Memphis Grizzlies, $14.6 M
    Detroit Pistons, $12.5 M
    Orlando Magic, $11.0 M ($18.0 M without Darko)
    Chicago Bulls, $10.2 M
    Atlanta Hawks, $8.6 M

Hawks, Pistons don't really need PF's. And the Pistons obviously won't spend for Darko, if that is your specific target. I think the Bobcats lost a lot of capspace in their draft day deal.

Bucks could probably use a backup PF, which you wouldn't think you'd spend more than MLE on?

Magic apparently aren't interested in Darko, specifically.

Grizzlies seem to be targeting Varejaeo. Cavs may match, but it'll be a close call.

Bulls seem to be targeting a PF, though latest reports having them wanting to keep Nocioni, and looking at a Joe Smith, Chris Mihm type player.

So, other than battling other teams with the MLE, I think the teams with space, looking to add a greater than MLE PF type, would be:

Grizzlies - See what happens with Varejaeo
    Bucks - Depends on Yi. You'd think Gerald Wallace would be a smart play for them (if they re-signed Mo Williams, kept Yi, you'd have Williams, Redd, Wallace, Villanueva, Bogut with Yi to develop...not bad)
    Bobcats - Have to wonder if they've been saving cap space since their existence to spend it on a Darko/Mikki Moore type player. Makes little sense.

10. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

He will have to their are no teams other than the Bucks that can even offer more and they will not even be able to if they resign their own guys.

11. pasox2

Supporting Member

Darko wants 10 mil. Forget him.

Magloire is a free agent, but he can get more in sign and trade. If we don't bring back Deke or Big Jake, we have some cash for Magloire as our back up 5, and he can effectively platoon at 4, offering 6'11" and 260lbs when we need some power and rebounding, if a big is beating us up inside. Good value, I think.

A jump shooting, passing 4 can be Frye or we still have the MLE to chase Joe Smith. Magloire is still a good value. Let Deke and Jake go, pick up Magloire, and swap draft picks.

12. B.I.G

B.I.G Member

Your vision is a bit messed up, wait no completly messed up. Portland cannot even trade Frye because he was just traded meaning he will not be allowed to be traded again for 1 year.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Frye can be traded anytime on his own. If he were to be packaged in a deal Portland would have to wait 45 days after the Knicks trade was approved.

14. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

So they paid to get rights to fernandez and traded randolph all in orde to get Battier, and brooks and some contract slashing which they don't have to do.... this trade makes 0 sense. I guarentee Battier wont be a blazer next year, they are getting young.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Par for the course. Remember the FA frenzy a few years back:

Adonal Foyle: $41 million
    Etan Thomas: $42 million
    Hedo Turkaglu: $42 million

etc...

16. Laozi

Laozi Member

I guess the Grizz hope that Varejao's hustle and heart can counter Pau's lack of energy on the defensive end. This won't be Brian Cardinal again, but it is a bit too much

17. pasox2

Supporting Member

It makes sense because Portland has a hole at SF and back up point.

Their lineup is

Oden/Pryzbilla
    Aldridge/LaFrentz
    Outlaw/ ? /Udoka
    Roy/Webster
    Jack/ ? /Dickau

That team can use Battier's vet leadership and he fills a hole. Brooks can play this year behind Jack, instead of them waiting. Portland spent picks on a lot of foreign players, just stashing them, while they try this crew out.

Trying to get Frye might be too much, but Portland doesn't really need him.

18. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

i don't want to trade Battier unless its a MUST...othewise I say keep him and try to get the next best PF.....Battier would be missed more than some fans think....

19. abundance

abundance Member

Cleveland will match Varajao.

20. abundance

abundance Member

I wonder if they would match Varejao, and trade Gooden for cap relief and a pt guard. Rafer and Sura for Gooden? LOL. just a dream.