1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VanVleet and the underdog mentality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jul 3, 2023.

1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The mighty Jayhawks refused to schedule VanVleet era Wichita St. because they knew they were a problem and there was no benefit in losing to an in state Mid Major.

Finally in the 2015 tournament they had no choice, FVV put up 17/6/6/4 while playing pitbull defense to take down Goliath.

As a Jayhawk fan I know firsthand what leadership mentality FVV brings to the court as an underdog. Don’t be surprised if he leads our young squad to the playoffs this year or next.

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

his leadership is badly needed

3. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This

groovemachine likes this.
  4. Asian Sensation

I was really looking forward to Harden showing our young guys how to go on a bender and stay up all night partying with rappers before morning practices.

[​IMG]

#4 Asian Sensation, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    Madmanmetz and anchel like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

at least this team has a real pg now. firestone should win gm of the year for that

BigShasta and daywalker02 like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a teams game and the NBA is a tad more complex than the NCAA.

His job is to babysit, if he can lead anyone to a solid Playoff spot, then a statue is probably best suited for him in this town.

Hard to be an underdog and earn 43 million a year.

[​IMG]

#6 daywalker02, Jul 3, 2023
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A Song of Ice Stone and Fire Stone.

13 in 33 and Jontro like this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

FVV is not a point goard. yul C when when you actually watch him play.

We are still in need of a PG, the only one we have on the roster is Amen

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why don't you just go troll another Harden thread.

10. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL

I think his 7 assists to 2 turnovers says different.

13 in 33 likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I love it man. I love the identity we're building. We have a bunch of underdogs. ALL our young guys are underdogs now whether they realize it or not. The forced downward pressure on their stats (from heavy tanking) has turned them into underdogs and the rest of the NBA does not believe they have the talent they have.

I love that FVV can say: I don't care how high you were drafted, I'm a champion. If you don't like it, take it up with the coach who's also a champion. I love that we have guys who have seen what happens inside a championship locker room (Uncle Jeff is a champion too). I love that we have a HC who can say: I made Jaylen Brown and Jason Tatum less selfish and they got closer to a title than ever before. Within one season. Who the F are you to be selfish? I love that we have a coaching staff that grew up in a culture that was a semi-dynasty.

No more Eric Gordons, Christian Woods, John Walls who just didn't give a F about being ancillary parts of a young core. That energy was poison too. No more HC who doesn't know if he's a tough guy or nice guy. We have a tough guy who was just humbled by a stupid mistake he made, admitted it, has worked on it, and is ready to elevate himself.

Basketball is not a democracy. Even if the HC is wrong (Silas) it's imperative that authority is ordered and credible. Obeying a mediocre plan is much more powerful than half-heartedly supporting a better plan. It's going to take about 30 games for this team to be "that" team. The young team with a bright future that plays the right way. Sengun, Green and Jabari have everything they need to flourish and they were never lacking in talent. They were only lacking in fundamentals and mentorship.

Excited as hell for the coming season.

#11 Mathloom, Jul 3, 2023
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

What can't he do?

Do you mind listing 5 pure staring PG's in the league that meet your definition?

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

7 assists and 2 TO's in a starting lineup with 2 other playmakers in Siakam and Barnes. That's EXCELLENT. I would love to have a "not a PG" who can do that.

groovemachine and Believe It! like this.
  14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Absolutely!

groovemachine and Mathloom like this.
  15. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

FVV is very underrate here for this defensive toughness. He has played very switchable role up north.

I truly believe the biggest benefit will be he will not only play hard for coach but his attitude is a perfect match for Amen. Amen just got a new big brother to show him what he doesn't know and see as a rookie. This will shorten his learning curve.

FVV was the ideal player for this team at this time.