1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vandermeer leaving KILT 610 for job w/ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Mar 22, 2012.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsmedia/2...-610-talk-show-to-work-full-time-with-texans/

David Barron

Marc Vandermeer will become director of radio broadcasting for the Texans and will leave his job as KILT’s (610 AM) morning drive time co-anchor in late May or early June, the station said Thursday.

Vandermeer, who came to Houston in 2002 as the Texans’ radio play by play announcer and hosted afternoon and morning drive shows on KILT, the team’s flagship station, will make the move as part of the new contract that shifts advertising sales for the Texans radio network from the station to the team.

“It’s awesome to be able to work for an NFL team and to be involved in all aspects of their radio programming,” Vandermeer said. “I’m not saying goodbye to Sports Radio 610, so I will still maintain my relationships there. It’s the best of everything for me.”

The move was not unexpected, since more and more NFL teams are taking their radio rights in-house. Vandermeer and Paul Allen in Minneapolis-St. Paul were the only NFL play by play announcers who hosted daily sports talk shows.

“This is a benefit to the Texans and a benefit to us,” said KILT program director Gavin Spittle. “One of our points of contact with the team will be a guy we love and trust in Marc. The tough part is losing a guy who has done such a great job in morning drive, but he will continue to be a huge part of the radio station.”

In replacing Vandermeer alongside morning drive co-host John Lopez, Spittle said he will consider candidate from within the CBS Radio-owned station and from elsewhere. One element of Spittle’s decision, he said, will be to avoid disrupting the rest of the station’s lineup, which has the highest Arbitron ratings among Houston’s four all-sports stations.

The Texans and CBS Radio signed a new agreement last October that will keep Texans games on the station for the next 10 years and expands the amount of Texans programming during the offseason.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

This sucks. I wake up every morning listening to his show, and it's my favorite of the 4 shows they have in 610. :(

3. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

610 just became 60% more unbearable.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

What's 60% of 0??

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Abandon ship! Lol.

Watch Brad Davies join Lopez for MONSTERS of the Morning! ROFL

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dang. Listened to that show every morning.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

bye, Jay Leno of morning drive

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I hope they replace him with someone who can be more critical of the Texans than "the soda I ordered at the concession stand was flat."

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

610 was already #4 on my list for most radio show time slots anyways, including the morning (1. Lance Matt and Adam, 2. Cablinasian Granato, 3. Mike n Mike). Aside from the Rockets/Texans contracts and tradition, what is keeping them in business?

With Rich Lord and Barry Warner they probably rule the demographic for geriatric listeners at least. "EVERYTHING SUCKS NOW! IT USED TO BE SO MUCH BETTER IN THE '60's!"

10. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I know 610, 790, and 1560. What's the 4th?

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Bring in Ted DeLuca! ;)

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Seems the formula for 610 these days is to have an old blow hard with a younger guy (Odd Couple, J&R, Mad Radio), that's what I'm expecting who they team Lopez with next (yes John, you are the old blowhard).

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

97.5, i guess (espn)

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

97.5 fm

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Say goodbye to the Rock & Roll TD.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

He'll still be doing the Texans games.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well the homerism is complete. that guy will still defend david carr.

18. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Marc was pretty bland as a talk show host, but I like him a lot more than pretty much everyone else 610 runs out there. It's frustrating that because of the ties to the Texans and Rockets, 610 will always have relatively high ratings and because of that, management will never be motivated to make any real changes.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They should just rename the station all texans all the time.

20. blackistan

blackistan Member

790 has a better morning shoe