1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vandermeer - a legend in his own mind

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TheProfessor, Dec 11, 2013.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Yeah I agree. Just gotta jump on the Craig Ackerman is great bandwagon for sure.

Vandermeer I can take or leave.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Yikes. 2-11 brings out the critic in everybody.

I'm not a fan of Vandermeer on sports talk (i.e. his takes usually seem off to me and lack substance, and he's obviously a fan first), but I think he's decent with play by play.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yep he has to be one of the worse play by play guys in NFL. That whole rock and roll routine is played out and sucks. He's a kiss ass so he will always have a job here.

4. Indaface

Indaface Member

Hardly ever listen to the Texans on the radio (or 610) so I don't really know much about his ability to call a game...but Rock n Roll is trash. Whenever I see highlights with that call i shudder.

I'm a fan of Ackerman. Obviously nowhere near Gene's level, but i'm a fan.

5. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I heard Vandermeer the other day during a Texans Grill broadcast and they were talking about how awesome it is to play the colts as spoiler and going on about the year AJ and JJ were having. Nobody wants to hear that BS when the team is crap. It's awful. He didn't always annoy me so much in the past but ever since he became a member of the Texans he's such a tool. The rocket's broadcasters are homers too but they are much more objective than that fool.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So, it wouldn't have been nice to play spoiler to the Colts and AJ & JJ aren't having great seasons...regardless of what's happening to the rest of the team?

Why can't they find some positives in this s*** of a season? Why should every single thing out of the announcers mouth be negative? Wouldn't that be much much worse to listen to?

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The rockets broadcasters are all super homers. The only guy who isn't is clyde but he just says absurd things.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bull will always call out the rockets poor play or flopping. I don't mind them being homers as a local broadcast, Bill and Bull are like real fans.

Vandy's homerism isn't a problem as long as he is willing to call out a Texan (which he will never does). Vandy's biggest problem is his complete ineptitude as as a play by play announcer. He is just plain bad. Listen to Craig Ackerman (who is relatively new) and then listen to Marc......it's not even comparable. Marc just doesn't know how to do it.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Last night Worrell called out four Rockets that stood around watching a King drive to the hoop for a dunk.

10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

As the most notorious fattie on Clutchfans, do you really think fat people care about the weight of sports-talk folks, ESPECIALLY radio sports talk people. (I have seen photos of both...and I probably could pick them out of a lineup if my life depended on it...but I have never given what they look like much thought.

610 is going to cover every bowel movement in the Texans camp and off-season Texans stuff will probably be their bread and butter unless the Rockets make a long playoff run in which case they will grudgingly give them a little coverage. Vandy is an apologist for the powers that be on Kirby...but so would anybody they hired to replace him.

For the record, I love Charlie P, and o.k with the job Vandermeer does on Texans broadcasts...but I seldom listen to Texans games on radio.

/eats doughnut ends rant.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Just as a citywide reaction to a public figure, I do think there is a bit of an unintentional bias involved. Put it this way: if there were a 5'6 140lb guy running for mayor, no one would say anything about his size being a factor, but tacitly it would be a factor. Like you say, we can't see the people, just hear their voices, but Charlie and Vandy both have higher pitched voices also. As a reference, compare that to ND Kalu and Greg Koch doing the post-game Texans shows on 790. Obviously you can tell those are bigger guys.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're weird

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

ROCK & ROLL!!!!!

Cool - Story - Vandermeer.

You are truly the worst. (well, outside of the LAC tv play by play guy who says "bingo!" after every LAC 3)

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Gene used to say Bingo also.

15. Ashes

Ashes Member

Vandermeer is just putrid.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make, but Vandermeer is like 6'-5". He's skinny, but I wouldn't call him small. Regardless, I think it's a really bizarre point to discuss when talking about radio personalities.

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

"hey guys what's going on in this thread here?"

[​IMG]

18. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Being hated by this group of grammar-challenged 'experts' (who have no idea how hard the job is) probably means Vandermeer's doing a great job! I think he's fantastic and a true professional. Try bringing enthusiasm an energy to a team that's lost 12 games in a row when you spend your day on the topic each and every day. That's an incredible challenge that is lost on this group. Vandermeer is an intellectual, and most basketball fans these days are not (being honest), so I'm not totally surprised by this reaction. Hockey - Baseball - Soccer - Football - Basketball are how I'd rate the overall intelligence of sports fan bases.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tis the season to be trolly trolololololol

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Would this be the same Bob McNair who said at the Kubiak-is-fired press conference that "I thought Gary would be coach here until he retired" etc etc?

I do wonder about McNair. Loyalty is a great quality but not when it turns out a mediocre, and now bad, product.

As for Vandermeer, sometimes these guys do become a little in love with their own voice. Okay, Mark, we get it. You have a voice for broadcasting. Now if you would just....reel it in a little.

Like when he was one of the on-air morning (I think morning?) dudes and he'd drift off into his "thespian theater" (thess-pee-ahn THEE-ah-tah) schtick.

Yo, Mark. Audience = average working stiffs. Reeeeeeeeeel it in.