1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vandalism against BLM Murals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Could be other groups too.

Not the same as vandalizing a statue of washington though... you cant seriously consider these equal comparisons to the left going insane and tearing down statues and trying to rewrite history.

cml750 and Uprising like this.
  3. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Lol, this thread cannot be serious. How can you vandalize against graffitis err I mean BLM murals?

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have a visceral reaction to this vandalism.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are so worried about defending BLM murals, but don't blink when it comes to the problems of representation in Hamilton.

jcf, tinman and pgabriel like this.
  6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Did you even watch the first video you posted?

davidio840, jcf, Bandwagoner and 6 others like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Hilarious

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can’t expect much from non 99ers

Bandwagoner likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I once argued with a Yao Only fan in the GARM when Yao had a bad game in Boston. The Yao fan insisted Yao played well and was treated unfairly.

So I decided to tell him that Boston’s Len Bias
    kept beating him on the boards. and this YOF kept mentioning that Yao played better than him.

so this stuff happens when you have people so driven by their purpose on Clutchfans

cml750 and pgabriel like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

clearly white supremacists are a mischievous bunch, playing 4D chess when the rest of us are playing checkers

jcf likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

He’s like Jeremy Lin in the Portland series
    @Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Right because in your world, "Anti-fascists" are the actual fascists, and white supremacists are just fighting for liberty from tyranny of black people.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I thought you didn't have any point to your hamilton thread

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Read the thread title. Only the first link is related to Trump supporters and I called that out. The rest of the videos it's not clear who was behind the vandalism. Where did I suggest otherwise?

#15 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Just labeling yourself anti fascist doesn't make you so. Actions speak louder.

cml750 likes this.
  17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

here’s a family that is more concerned about the death caused by BLM protesters

tinman likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

"Morning thoughts on the subject of graffiti...":

https://althouse.blogspot.com/2020/07/morning-thoughts-on-subject-of-graffiti.html

excerpt:

Now, what was this discussion of graffiti? It arose from a headline in the NYT, "2 People Charged With Hate Crime After Black Lives Matter Mural Is Vandalized." The "mural" is painted block letters on the horizontal surface of the street. I think "mural" implies a wall. But, I quipped, these days up is down and horizontal is vertical.

The etymology of "mural" goes back to the classical Latin "mūrālis," which is a plant growing on walls, and the oldest meaning of the English word "mural" is a plant attached to a wall! That's news to me. The OED quotes "Now is the best time for pruning young Murals" — from 1699. Using "mural" for "A painting executed directly on to a wall or ceiling as part of a scheme of decoration" only goes back to 1908.

Is "graffiti" a better term for the painting on the street? The etymology of "graffiti" is the Italian word "graffito" (plural, "graffiti") and that means a scratching.

But the thing the NYT called a "mural" is big painted block letters. And isn't "graffiti" something illicit? I think the government officially or tacitly approved of the original "BLACK LIVES MATTER" writing. If one group paints a message and another group paints it out, isn't that just a back and forth conversation between private citizens, writing and rewriting on a public space, a speech forum?

For the government to leave the first message-conveyers alone and to charge the second message-conveyers with hate speech is definitely and strongly to take sides. That's viewpoint discrimination in the extreme — but if the first message was government speech, then government can choose its message, and viewpoint discrimination in the extreme is perfectly fine, and all we can do is talk about what we think of the government's saying that.

Here in Madison, we had some people stapling "We Support Our Madison Police" signs on top of the Black Lives Matter murals/graffiti on the plywood over the windows of the Wisconsin Veterans Museum. Could the sign-staplers be charged with a hate crime for appropriating the same physical space that the Black Lives Matters spray-painters had used?
    [​IMG]

more at the link

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Some of this art has permits so people shouldnt mess with those. I dont agree about painting this marxist groups name on the roads but i dont write the permits.

Nook and dachuda86 like this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Yeah. The people are not different than assholes who go around trying to stamp on other people's free speech by censoring and blocking them, or showing up to scream over them in order to stop them. You are protected to express yourself and I take real issue when people want to take that right from anyone.