1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy...?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by payaso, Dec 8, 2001.

Tags:
  1. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Rudy has done fine with what he has to work with. Besides injuries, the rockets cannot shoot. Rudy does not shoot the ball. He gets them open looks with coaching strategy.

Van Gundy had unlimited resources at NY and could not win the East, much less a championship. With Cablevision owning the Knicks, they are over 44mil above the salary cap- that's almost 2 teams worth.

Keep Rudy, and support our team. We need some good personell moves tho get rid of the Rice and Cato contracts-or buy them out.
    Then do not re sign Walt, blow off Collier and Langhi.

2. j-bone

j-bone Member

Let's get one thing straight, I didn't once say I would like Van Gundy on the sidelines and two I love the Rockets and that Francis is my favorite player in the NBA. In fact when I get through with this I'm going to go vote for him on the all-star ballot. But all I'm saying is that we can't blame all of our problems on the players and the injuries. Every team in the league has injuries and find ways to work through them, just look at Sacramento. At some point you have to look at the coaching staff and wonder could it be something that they're not doing right.

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

WHY GET RID OF RUDY WHEN MOST OF OUR TEAM IS INJURED? IT IS NOT HIS ******* FAULT.

My ******* goodness! Last year we were 45-37, waiting till this season so we could leap-frog some teams into the playoffs, and our starting pg, sg, pf, and now sf are injured! ****! What the hell? Why don't you wait till next season when Rudy is still at the helm and we are a contender with a healthy Steve, Cuttino, Glen, and Mo?! Then you all can decide whether to fire Rudy or not.

:mad:

4. payaso

payaso Member

... and 'alaskansnowman' must mean 'master of the obvious' in the gw'i'chin tongue. :eek:

where have you BEEN the past couple of years? I don't come in much, but I wait until I have something to say.

I'll say it again; Rudy's a solid judge of young talent and a super nice guy; see Mack Brown. At this point in time, however, I would leave neither business nor coaching decisions to him. He's just not making play adjustments that coaches need to make to be competitive. And the team on the floor is showing nothing for what the organization has paid.

5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

I think his two championship rings speak volumes more than Chaney's COY award.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The greatest player in Rocket history "jumped ship" because he wanted more money. Plain and simple.

Look, if you think Rudy is such a bad coach, who exactly would you suggest? And, if he is such a horrible coach, why is it that it is VERY likely that teams would line up to bid for his services?

We are having a horrific season. No question. We have 5 players out with injury, 4 of whom are starters, and a bench made up of really young, really old and CBA castoffs.

Everyone talks about what a great coach Pat Riley is/was, well, he is struggling his ass off in Miami because he is stuck with not a lot of talent. You are right in saying that Hakeem is responsible for much of Rudy's success, just as MJ was responsible for much of Phil Jackson's and Kareem and Magic were responsible for Riley's. This is a player's game, no question.

However, when you don't have any bullets in your gun, it is tough to shoot anybody. Rudy is firing a cap gun at teams armed with machine guns. That is the reality. His ability to adjust to a given situation has been destroyed by the fact that he has lost his best players to injury.

Unfortunately, we all have to suffer along, but you cannot put this all on the coach. Put John Wooden in his place and we would still suck.

7. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Hey, if you guys want to fire Rudy, I say go for it. I know there's a team in Denver that would love to have a coach of his caliber.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Jeff, you forget how young this crowd is. You may need to explain who John Wooden is to some of these guys.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

:)