1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy quote announcing Game 1

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Jun 10, 2007.

1. redefined

redefined Member

Idiot also said that you have to keep James in when he picked up his 2nd foul?

Tell me JVG, how many times did you leave Yao in there when he picked up 2 quick fouls?

2. Major

Major Member

LeBron didn't have a McGrady to carry the load while he's out.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

plus, its not like jvg always took yao out. I remember several games where he left yao in.

4. redefined

redefined Member

Never in the first quarter

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

well i dont know about "never" but im sure it wasnt that often. But then again, yao is an easy target out there for people to run into him and get called for a cheap foul. Its a little easier for a guard to stay out of foul trouble than a big, slow guy trying to defend the paint.

6. Nick

Nick Member

It did happen... especially when Yao was picking up fouls he could easily avoid, and the game could possibly get away by just sitting him down the next 8 minutes.

Also, keep in mind that Yao normally needs a rest with about 4 minutes left in the quarter anyways. If he picks up 2 fouls in 2 minutes, he only needs to go 6 more minutes without picking up another foul to stay on track.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

we should probably just stay out of the way of people making up new ways to bash an ex coach :D

8. PeteTheCheat

PeteTheCheat Member

Keep in mind this is the same company that employs Bill Walton...thoughtless yet whimsical comments are encouraged by the worldwide leader :)

9. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

He's right. None of those guys you mentioned have impacted their respective teams as much as Tony Parker has. Without him, there is no fast-break for the Spurs. If you remember their championship in 99, the Spurs and the Knicks just walked the ball up and used up all 24 seconds. Very boring Finals. Parker's changed their style for the better. And he's got 3 rings (okay maybe 2) to back JVG's words up.

KJ, he was a tough competitor. Not as good a finisher and nowhere as fast as Tony. Strickland, I don't think I ever remember him finishing. He was a great passer. Those memories of Parker tearing apart Strickland 2 years ago when he played for the Rockets are still fresh in my mind. He got cut the next day btw after we got Mike James.

Once again, Tim Hardaway had a killer crossover and good jumpshot, but as far as finishing on the break, he wasn't all that great. Parker's without a doubt up there. I thought Damon Stoudamire would establish himself too in this category, but it just didn't pan out.

10. redefined

redefined Member

Let me rehrase--

What idiot coach would keep his star player in after receiving his 2nd foul with 10 minutes left to play in the first quarter?

We all know JVG would

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

werent you just arguing that he never let yao play?

meds time?

12. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Van Gundy also said something like "Ilguaskas is 7'2 he should be dunking the ball when hes that far in the paint"

It left me wondering why didn't he teach Yao the killer instinct to dunk the ball when hes in the paint?

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Whatever. Last night the only idiot was Mike Brown for taking LeBron out after 3 minutes.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

you cant make someone do that. lets not forget that players are responsible for their play...i think people often forget that.

15. Guru

Guru Member

You can't teach killer Instinct! Dwight Howard is not who he is because of Brian Hill!!!!!

16. cheshire

cheshire Member

I think you undersold KJ a little bit here. If you saw him play G7 against H-town in 95, he was unstoppable in finishing and drawing the foul. Plus his teams never missed the play-offs except his rookie year.

TP may be a little faster but KJ has hops that TP can only dream about. But I like how they both played.

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

tony parker seems like he's better at finishing than he really is, because people foolishly think they can stay with him so they end up actually guarding him. they end up getting burned and parker is so fast he gets a layup before the help comes. parker wasn't doing jack when lebron guarded him, or anybody not named larry hughes. this is one thing jvg is absolutely right about; i dont care how many jumpshots tony parker hits, you do not guard him close. you give him at least 4 feet and dare him to shoot, because the moment you step up on him he's just going to burn you. give him enough space, all his finishing power goes out the window bc he has nowhere to run except into your body.

18. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Let's not forget that JVG has coached Yao for 3 years. So doesn't it make you look silly when you say stuff about another center? The player he coached, hardly took it to the rack and dunked like he admittedly should? Makes him look like a fool imo.

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Or maybe he've said it multiple times to Yao and it just didn't happen and he was venting that frustruation using Ilguaskas as a medium :D. I mean practically the whole world was calling Yao to dunk more, it just wasn't in his nature (nothing wrong with that, he's still effective the way he's playing).

20. BigM

BigM Member

if you keep talking to him then he'll continue to post and that's not good for anybody. it's called dallas water, don't drink it. he already did.