1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy quote announcing Game 1

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheFreak, Jun 10, 2007.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Van Gundy said something like "Parker is the best small finisher since Tiny Archibald" in game 1 of the Finals. I'm pretty sure he said Archibald, but could be wrong.

At any rate, I have to ask - did you ever see Kevin Johnson play? Rod Strickland? Tim Hardaway? Good lord.

Could you imagine Kevin Johnson playing in today's rules? The guy might be the best player in the league.

If you think this is just another bash Gundy thread ... I don't really care.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

He was just blabbing and probably didn't even think about what he was saying

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

funny how he always supported one of the worst finishers of all time so adamently....rafer

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Calvin Murphy?

5. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Good Lord, the man's a color announcer. They're paid to fill in the silences. They're supposed to pretty much say whatever stuff just pops into their heads. It's not an easy job coming up with game-relevant stuff to say on the fly.

6. uchlha

uchlha Member

van gundy + color dont mix :p

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am glad you mentioned KJ. I think he is the most underrated PG of all time. He would get 20 and 10 while shooting 50% from the field on a yearly basis. It was amazing yet he went under the radar. I agree. In todays game he would dominate. He would be a franchise player rather than a supporting character.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

By the way I really like JVG as a color announcer. And he is much more open in his responses.

You can get a real sense of what he thinks about things as an announcer, much more than a coach.

I wish him well at ABC/ESPN.

DD

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kevin Johnson is in my top 3 favorite point guards all time, with Magic and Jason Kidd. Pretty hard to get maximum spotlight only playing 50 games a year and missing entire seasons (think Grant Hill). Even hobbled with injuries he could give you 20 and 10...

Van Gundy is expected to say the "proper" thing and be a spot-on expert. While its okay for Bill Walton to spout nonsense about someone's play reminding him of the GREAT (insert All-Time great) whoever... Parker does shoot a very high percentage from the field for a small guy and in the league LEADERS in points in the paint, up there with the big guys. So its not totally without merit. "Best finisher for a small guy" is somewhat a vague category anyway and what Van Gundy said serves to START the discussion as to who that might be, and is not the final verdict.

JVG = a rare pass on this one.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw all 4 of those guys play. Strictly on the issue of finishing, TP is as good as any of them. If he ever becomes deadeye from 20+ feet, TP will rank up there even though he probably will never be the passer that Tiny and KJ were. When it comes to attacking the basket and finishing, TP is poetry in motion. For him, the best is yet to come. It's hard to believe he just turned 25.

11. pchan

pchan Member

Fire JVG!

I think his nonsense comment is responsible for the record low rating.

12. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

what a slap in the face to rafer alston...

13. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Yes, I have, and Tony Parker is on par or better than all of them at getting to the basket and finishing. So I agree with coach in that he's one of the better finishers I've ever seen at his position.

Tony Parker might be the most underrated player in the league from an offensive standpoint. He's extremely efficient shooting the ball and is probably the single best player at breaking down defenses with his penetration. He's also one of the smartest guys in the league, his shot-recognition is second to none, on par or better than Wade's.

It's scary that the guy is just coming into his own. Barring major injuries, that Spurs team will be scary for at least another 3-4 years.

#13 tigermission1, Jun 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

"What else are you going to do in San Antonio for two days?"

:D

[game two quote]

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if some of the other announcers are jealous of him... they've been announcing all season, and here comes the new kid getting to do the finals.

16. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

he overrated Tony Parker just a little because he had to watch Rafer Alston all season which skewed his opinion. :D

17. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i don't know, this guy had a pretty good finish...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifx_gRF-ouU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ifx_gRF-ouU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Completely agree on TP but for Manu and TD it's even par or downhill from here on. Bowen, Horry, Barry, Finley are all old guys and the Spurs don't have other perimeter players in line to take their place. I think this will be their last championship unless Pop pulls some kind of miracle during the summer. The rest of the NBA (especially the WC) isn't standing still.

19. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

"I don't know what I was thinking"

20. Guru

Guru Member

It seems like JVG has become a guilty pleasure for a lot of the people on clutchfans. At first it was all about: FIRE GUNDY and there were a hundred threads about that. Now that he is gone, its about his qoutes and a hundred threads on that. Who cares what he says, he is an annoucer and those are just his comments. How come there aern't a thousand threads about Stepen A Smith's comments, at times he is the biggest dufus. I'm surprised one of these threads doesn't have a sticky!

Just my thoughts... :)