1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy likes Houston!! but....................

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigRay, Jun 5, 2003.

1. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Pure speculation on my part but the rockets and JVG are near completion of negotiations that's why he's touring the city. No way Les or CD take a chance at him saying no. That risk is toooo big to take.

I think he had the offer late last week and they have been negotiating ever since. When Tuesday rolled around they were either done or very close to finishing the contract. Since Friday is the 100 day thingy, it makes since to drag it out a little furher to boost ticket sales and generate excitement for the new season. He'll be announced tomorrow during the festivities.

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy Visits Houston

June 5, 2003 - Jeff Van Gundy met with the media today following a tour of the new Houston arena. The following is a transcript of Van Gundy's session with the media.

On his impressions of the new arena:
    The arena was beautiful. In fact they have a practice facility right there in the same place, so you’re always coming to the one area. It was very impressive.
    On what he thinks of the Rockets job opening:
    It’s a great job. I think, Carroll (Dawson) would tell you, there are a lot of people who want it, and for a lot of good reasons. Houston is obviously a great sports town, there is a new arena and they have good young talent. You’re following an icon (in Rudy Tomjanovich) – one of the great coaches who has ever coached the game, so you have big shoes to try and fill. I don’t think anyone can fill Rudy’s shoes. You just have to try to build on what he accomplished here. Boy, that’s a hard legend to live up to.

On how he feels that Carroll Dawson has said that if he wants this job, it is going to be his:
    It’s flattering. I have so much respect for him and what he’s accomplished here. I still don’t feel good about that ’94 series, but other than that I have great memories of (Houston)… So, I’ve been very fortunate to get to know (Carroll Dawson) more over the last seven or eight days and to meet Mr. (Leslie) Alexander was a lot of fun. I spoke to Glen Rice about the situation and to Rudy this morning, so it’s been good.

On what he and Rudy talked about:
    I don’t really want to go into those things, but it was basically, “How are you doing? I hope you’re feeling well.” I hope, if I’m here, that he feels very welcome to come at any time. I’d rely on him a lot, because like I said, there are very few guys, like somebody in the paper said today, who have one multiple championships. I think there are nine, and he’s one of them, so you’d be foolish not to tap into that expertise.

On where he stands right now:
    Well, I don’t know. Like you, I don’t really want to characterize it, but I always have been very impressed and continue to be. But as we all know when we’ve moved, it’s a major decision in your life and a lot of things go into it. So I’m obviously going to take my time and try to make the right decision for me and my family.

On the kind of timetable he is talking about:
    Well, it’s not just me. There are two in the timetable. It doesn’t really matter – the timetable. I think what matters is that both people make the right decision because you want something to last, be good and win big. I think that’s the biggest thing.

On if he is talking to other teams:
    Yes, I’ve spoken to a couple of teams. Yesterday I spoke to the Wizards for a good length of time. We’ll just wait and see how everything works out, but I can’t emphasize enough how much I’ve enjoyed the chance to get to know Carroll and look at this situation. You don’t get a lot of chances – I’ve said this before to somebody I really trust in basketball, and I asked him what he thought were the plusses and minuses. He said that the biggest plus about Houston was that everyday that Yao Ming wakes up, he’s 7-5. Isn’t that the truth. It’s very hard to fill the two positions – center and point guard – and the Rockets have done a great job getting that base. They also have Cuttino (Mobley) and a great core to build from. Those jobs – where you have a good center and point guard and a good nucleus of youth – that’s hard to find.

On if there is a deciding factor:
    Oh no, there’s not any one deciding factor. Like I said, I lived in New York for 14 years as far as being in the one area, so there are a lot of factors that go into picking up and moving. But certainly, there are no questions that basketball-wise, it’s a great, great opportunity for me or anyone. That’s why Carroll has had so many calls and so many people pestering him.

On his wife’s initial thoughts about Houston:
    I’d let my wife – if any of you are married, they speak for themselves. Believe me. I don’t know about you, but my wife speaks for herself (he said with a laugh). No, she’s fine.

On if the Rockets have offered him the job:
    That’s something you should really talk to Carroll about. I like to do that – pawn all the tough ones off on Carroll.

On how far the two sides have come on talks on the business side of things:
    Again, I think that’s something for Carroll. I’ve never felt comfortable talking about business. I’m a coach, so if you want to ask me about pick-and-roll defense, I’m your man. If you want to talk about business, I’m not your guy.

On if he thinks Steve Francis is a point guard or a two guard:
    He’s darn good, I know that. I know we’ve had a hard time guarding him, whether he’s at the point or the two. He’s played both. That right-to-left crossover, man, that’s hard to guard. I think there is a great opportunity. I think all players are judged in the end by how much they win, as are coaches. So the job here is about only one thing: winning, and winning big – winning championships. I’ve said all the time that the only worthwhile goal in the NBA is to be pursuing a championship. That doesn’t mean if you don’t win, it’s a failure in that year. But you always want to be making strides to try to get there. I think because of the nucleus that has been assembled – good ownership, good management and good nucleus – that it’s a wonderful opportunity.

On if he is aware that the owner (Leslie Alexander) has been familiar with that since Day 1:
    He got off to a terrific start. What did he win it in, the first two years? That’s hard to do now. A lot of people go their whole lifetime and don’t win one, so he hit it at the right time. He had some great teams – they were very bold, too, that’s what I like. There are not too many championship teams that would make a big trade in the middle of the next year. They were bold when they got (Clyde) Drexler and turned it around that year and won again. Any time you’re able to get guys like (Charles) Barkley and (Scottie) Pippen, I think it says a lot about your management and a lot about your ownership to make that commitment, but also about the place that people want to come and play here.

On if there are specific things he’s looking for while he’s here or if he needs a gut or emotional reaction:
    Again, if you’re married you know what gut reactions – you’re wife punching you in the gut – can do. No, I think it’s not any one thing, but it’s also not as complicated as it may seem. I’m sure we’ll sit down and try to make it the best fit. They want the best fit for them. I want the best fit for my myself and my family.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Jeff_Van_Gundy_Visits_Houston-77376-34.html

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I get the feeling that Chilly_Pete might be right.

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Van Gundy is not used to all this "red carpet" attention.

:cool:

5. BigRay

BigRay Member

I have a funny feeling Jeff Van Gundy will turndown this job:(

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

don't worry, Van Gundy will be announced as the new head coach tomorrow.

7. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

If he doesn't take it, it will be his loss and Dunleavy's gain.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

thanks ron, for the posting the transcript of the media session.

It's funny, a lot of the latter questions in that session reflected the same train of thought I was having reading Van Gundy's responses. It's really all about moving and whether Mrs. Van Gundy and the kids want to go through the trouble. My impression is that Van Gundy is a straightforward guy, so I don't think he's posturing. I think he's noncommittal strictly because his wife isn't sure. I wonder if the weather affected things. :( :) I think we need a blitz campaign to convince Mrs. Van Gundy that Houston is a great place to live. Where's Jeff? :D

A funny thing is, (again, taking Jeff's responses as sincere) I have conflicting feelings about Van Gundy (or rather Mrs. Van Gundy's) hesitation. As a Rockets fan, I'm thinking - "Oh, so Houston's not good enough to move to? Well, if you love NYC so much, you BETTER not take a coaching gig anywhere else, because that would require MOVING, you know," but as a non-basketball fan, I'm thinking - "Relocating is a big deal. It's good you're not telling your wife what to do and that you're trying to put your family first. It's hard to move after fourteen years in an area you love."

9. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Moving from NY to a place like Houston can be difficult. It would be easier if the move was from NY to the Pacific Northwest, to Chicago, or the West Coast.

Houston would be too much of a culture shock from NY. Houston is just too flat, boring, hot, and nasty looking.

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Heh, yep. It's known as the "Urban Sprawl." A "One story concrete mall."

Out of New York, Chicago, LA and Houston...

...H-town has always been the "redheaded step child."

The city officials are trying to change things downtown though; bring a little style, history and culture. Something that Dallas and San Antonio have already done the last 20 years.

Houston is trying to catch up.

Anyone noticed how the media always mentions NY, LA and Chicago, but seem to leave out Houston? The reason? Square, blocky, and bland city design.

What sucks is that Philadelphia, Dallas and Miami are mentioned before Houston.

Not sure if the city can be redesigned or not, but there is some good news...

Well, two factors have drawn more attention toward Houston in the last year or so...those two factors are: Yao Ming and David Carr.

Yao Ming, of course, brings International attention like never before; and Les Alexander know this is an opportunity on a global scale.

David Carr seem to be the poster child for the "perfect quarterback."

The national media loves him; ESPN, FOX, NY Times, Chicago Tribune, you name it.

11. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Just blow him off, he is not who we want. Let's go for Dunleavy plus a great staff instead....

12. tsl99

tsl99 Member

I think the offer by Rockets is just not good enough, Rockets owner may only want to pay 2 or 3 million.