1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy likes Houston!! but....................

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigRay, Jun 5, 2003.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Maybe he went to the SA v. NJ game, then CD and co. brought him down the Katy fwy...

After a couple hours of driving from the Beltway to 610 on the Katy freeway, he changed his mind about Houston...

just my 2 centavos.:D

2. xcharged

xcharged Member

The Rockets second choice will be here till friday...(or so the article says)
    http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Closing_In_On_Van_Gund-77318-34.html

June 5, 2003 - The Houston Rockets’ search for a new coach has come down to a two-man race, with one candidate beginning to emerge as the favorite.
    Ever since the Rockets missed out on the Larry Brown sweepstakes when the former Sixers coach jumped all over the Detroit Pistons' sudden vacancy, Rockets owner Les Alexander and general manager Carroll Dawson have had their eyes focused on Jeff Van Gundy or Mike Dunleavy. When ousted New Orleans Hornets coach Paul Silas called the Rockets’ position the “premier job” but opted for a sure deal with the Cleveland Cavaliers, both Van Gundy and Dunleavy became the two frontrunners for the Rockets’ coaching vacancy.

As the NBA’s coaching carousel continues to turn every day, Van Gundy recently accepted an invitation to visit Houston on Thursday and Friday. Van Gundy met with Alexander and Dawson in Dallas on May 26 for his first official interview. Besides looking at houses and schools, and meeting with the Rockets brass, Van Gundy may very well leave Houston with an offer. There have been rumors floating around that Van Gundy’s wife was out looking at homes in Houston this past weekend.

On the other hand, Dunleavy, who was strongly considered for the Rockets position due to his former days as a Rockets player, seems to be headed to the Atlanta Hawks. Dunleavy’s up-tempo style of offense has always been a joy to watch and I think he would have been a good fit in Houston. His coaching style makes him a better fit for a Western Conference team. When Dunleavy went over to Milwaukee in the East he struggled greatly. The Rockets have a group of talented offensive players and Dunleavy’s basketball mind would definitely have a few schemes to get the Rockets to move the ball around more.

While Dunleavy remains the dark horse candidate, the Rockets have indicated they will not interview any further candidates. Therefore, if things go well Thursday with Van Gundy, expect him to be Rudy Tomjanovich’s replacement as Rockets head man next season.

It is difficult for some to erase the memory of Van Gundy racing on the court and grabbing Miami Heat center Alonzo Mourning’s leg when Mourning and former Knicks forward Larry Johnson squared off during an Eastern Conference playoff game a few years ago. If nothing else, that incident shows Van Gundy's undying loyalty and willingness to stand up for his players, which instantly commands respect in any locker room. His 248-172 record over seven seasons in New York shows that he does indeed know how to coach.

If Van Gundy finds his way to Houston it will be interesting to see how his coaching style fits in with the second youngest team in the league. Van Gundy is more of an Eastern Conference coach, placing emphasis on defense and allowing no easy baskets. The Rockets have an average defense and definitely could use a little more tenacity defending the great teams in the West, but Houston’s problem this past season was more about offense than anything else.

Steve Francis, Yao Ming and Cuttino Mobley all need to touch the basketball, but the key lies in their patience and getting the ball in the best spot to take advantage of their abilities. Van Gundy coached in the brutal Eastern Conference where 90 points is like 120 in the West. Van Gundy’s Knicks thrived on a bruising power game that most often wasn't pretty but got results.

If this style becomes the new brand of basketball in Houston will Rockets fans be excited? Probably so if Van Gundy can bring victories. The San Antonio Spurs play an ugly style of basketball, but that has propelled them to the brink of an NBA title. Remember the old cliché - winning cures everything.

While Brown would have been an X’s and O’s-type coach that demanded respect, and players would have given their all for Silas every night, it is more of a mystery how Rockets players will respond to Van Gundy. Will Francis be OK with having to run more halfcourt offense instead of using his great athletic ability? Will Mobley be pulled for taking one too many three-pointers? Will Yao be yelled at for not being tough enough in the post?

All of these things remain to be seen, but Houston seems to have found its guy. There will almost certainly be a Jeff Van Gundy sighting in Houston, and although he may or may not have been the first choice, hopefully he’ll end up being the right one.

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I-10 would definately make me rethink living in Houston.

I-10 is my mortal enemy.

4. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

thanks for the info guys.

Im glad Gundy is staying through tomorrow, hopefully he won't bail town before making a decision.

5. xcharged

xcharged Member

hopefully he won't bail 18 games into the season...

sorry, was that a cheap shot?

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Want me to make you jealous?
    I can go from my home in Baytown to Downtown on I-10 in 25 minutes...morning rush or night...you just live on the wrong end of the Beast..

my prediction: JVG...

the suspense is killin me..:(

7. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i think JVG aint saying anything that may make people think if he wants to go here on other teams coz he wants the door open. you know, everything is not in the final until the rocs make an official annoucement about JVG being the new coach. i think he did the right thing of not giving any signs of wanting or not wanting to go here in houston so that people wouldnt "jump the trigger". but its really makin me nervous coz everything is not final and there is still a chance for JVG to say no. know'm sayin? its like, the rocs head coach search is gettin more and more intense and scary each day that passes by...

8. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

VG is not an idiot like CD who reveals his cards during a poker game. Think about it, if you were VG and the team already announced to the world that you were their choice, you only have more bargaining power. Of course you would remain non-committed.

Then again, maybe VG doesn't really want to coach. Where is that guy who said that he was at a party and it was revealed that Mike D. would be the coach?

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Latest from 610 is they're in negotiations.

Van Gundy says this is a great situation basketball wise, but he's lived in NY for 14 years so he has to decide if he wants to leave. No timetable set for a decision.

BubbaMac- Dawson did the reverse in the Larry Brown situation. That sure turned out good for him, right? :rolleyes:

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

My gut feeling is that Van Gundy will turn down the Rockets offer unless they throw crazy money at him.

He seems like a NY type of guy that doesn't want to live here.

11. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

My take....

1) Did he actually say he's not sure if he wants to coach here, or is that assumed because he didn't make a declarative statement today? I would have been surprised if he would have declared his intent to coach here, so no biggie if he didn't, before negotiations...but if he explicitly said he was unsure, that's another kettle of fish.

2) In terms of how Les handled this...I have no rpoblem with it. None. I think he very definately blew it with Brown, and that's a huge black mark on the organization, but in stating he's for JVG here, assuming that Carlisle and Rivers aren't available, he's only doing what he should have done with Brown; declaring our interest so the best guy available doesn't get the feeling we're not sure, and bolt at the 1st sure thing. Yeah, it might cost him a few thou in the negotiation, but big deal.

3) On the other hand, if either the pay escalates to the point where we end up paying more for our second choice than we would have had to for our first, I think that that would be a pretty clear sign that we blew it large with Larry. Or if money once again becomes the reason we don't get our coach, then we're an organization in trouble...

13. farhan007

farhan007 Member

you gotta be kidden me. What coach doesnt wanna coach raw talent like Francis and Yap!!!!!!!!! Somehow you arnt in agremeent with all the espn anylist becasue all they say is houston is the most wanted job because of FRANCIS and Mobley. And Gundy just said today during the press conference that Francis is a GREAT talent.

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I usually don't bust on grammar, but "Yap" is priceless. :D

Who is Yap?

15. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

When I saw what JVG had said, I figured two things:

1. Negotiations were in progress if not completed
    2. Wouldn't it be nice to intro the new coach as a surprise for the 100 day thingy? It certainly would get the city excited about the new season and boost ticket sales. My guess is that tomorrow they'll have a press conference introducing JVG at the 100 day thing.

16. farhan007

farhan007 Member

you know what i mean!!! Yao

17. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

Then what's the point of going on the interview? He interviewed in Cleveland also? If he doesn't want to coach, then a simple "no thank you will do."

18. Mingaling

Mingaling New Member

JVG would be a fool to pass up a gift such as the Rockets. I believe he will be our man. In the begining i wasnt thrilled about this, But I also think that the Rockets need to step up that D. I think he will be a good fit. They need to ink him!:eek: :eek:

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Almost 20 years of being a Houston sports fan has made me pessimistic about things.

I hope you are right and he does take the job.

#39 Chilly_Pete, Jun 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2003
  20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yep. And it's not like he's going to go back to the Knicks any time soon.