1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy likes Houston!! but....................

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigRay, Jun 5, 2003.

1. BigRay

BigRay Member

He doesnt know if he wants to coach here. I just heard it on 610 Matt Jackson said Van Gundy said he likes the city and the organitzation, he likes what Rudy T has done with the team and players. This sounds good but why isnt he coming out and saying I want the job he is saying I like the city of Houston and the Rockets organitzation but he still doesnt know what he wants to do. this is making me SICK

:mad:

PLEASE NO MIKE DUNLEAVY:eek:

2. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

i am not sure if i want a coach who has shown less interest and excitement in coaching an up and coming team like the rockets.

3. Nero

Nero Member

Maybe they are just going to wait until August 1st, when he is truly a 'free agent' .. that way we wouldn't have to compensate the Knicks at all, as was alleged earlier..

Would it matter that much if they waited? How much goes on with the team during the next couple months anyway?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess coaching headcases like Francis and Mobley is not all that enticing.

:)

DD

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe Houston ISN'T the best coaching opportunity...

It's not like it matters who the coach is, anyways...

6. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

I think this is his way of saying:

"SHOW ME THE MONEY!!" :p

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Relax, relax. He's visiting Houston, yes; but where is Les Alexander? Until those two have their meeting....

8. ShanghaiShark

ShanghaiShark Member

glaringly bad sign. No way he would say "I don't like Houston". So it's pointless he said otherwise. Being physically in houston and urged by CD, he still can not make final decision.

K now who is left? Is Don Nelson back from his vacation?

Or get Rudy back.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

TechieOne you hit the nail on the head about showing me the money. Van Gundy got his best poker face on.

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

;) :D ;) :D

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not much. Just implementing a summer program for the players and getting the roster sorted for the upcoming season.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sounds to me like he likes the team, the organization and the city. But hasn't gotten the full commitment yet because money has not been discussed.

If I remember correctly this was just a VISIT for JVG. Dawson and Les are NOT there today. So until the "second interview" etc where money will be discussed, I think we are in a holding pattern. Hopefully Les and Dawson will be in Houston on Friday to iron out these details.

I still believe they are pretty far along in the JVG negotiations at this point, otherwise they would look foolish in parading VG around Houston as their number 1 choice only to LOSE OUT on him. It would look pretty bad! Which is why I think they are close to having it done.

Detroit was in a similar situation with LB. People had Brown going to Detroit before it happened and then it looked like Brown was "deciding" between the Rockets and Detroit. But the reality was that he was all but locked in with Detroit over last weekend. Just need to fine tune a few things.

13. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

good points. sets me at ease.

14. Nero

Nero Member

Sure, but let's see.. August, September, October.. if VG can't 'get the roster sorted' in three months, then we make big oopsie anyway.. summer program, don't the assistants usually handle the summer league stuff anyway?

I'm not saying we shouldn't get VG here sooner than later, just trying to figure out the cost/benefit between waiting til Aug 1, as opposed to possibly losing a future pick or big $ just because we couldn't wait.

15. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Paul Silas received this same tour and media meeting, however, not much was made of it b/c he was never thought to be a leading candidate.

I do think they are making an effort to sign him, but the question is will they come to an agreement? I would not be too certain this is a done deal.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The main difference between Silas and JVG is Dawson is on public record as saying that JVG is OUR MAN and the job is his if he wants it. We never said anthing like this to Silas.

Again, with that said, it looks pretty bad for the Rockets if VG does not take the job.

17. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

The suspense is killling me.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

are you guys saying neither Dawson or Les Alexander are in Houston today? :confused:

How long is Van Gundy in town for? will he be here another full day?

19. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Dawson is definately in town.....moneybags a$$ les is not

20. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I think the Chronicle said CD was coming back to Houston Wednesday night.