1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy is #9 ESPN "Coaches gone wild" list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by john_l, Oct 14, 2003.

1. john_l

john_l Contributing Member

9. Jeff Van Gundy, "human hammock"

Does Jeff Van Gundy look like a fool? You be the judge.
    April 30, 1998. With 1.4 seconds left in Game 4 of the Knicks-Heat playoff series and the Knicks leading 90-85, Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson started scuffling. New York coach Jeff Van Gundy moved in to break it up, but the best he could do was grab onto Mourning's leg. Van Gundy was dragged all over the court, almost helpless. "At one point, he actually was lifted off the ground and held horizontally by the arms and legs, looking like a human hammock," wrote Newsday's Barbara Barker.

Van Gundy got kicked a few times and stepped on, and admitted the next day that he knew he "looked like a fool." But, he said, "I don't regret going out there. I was trying to protect my player. Whether it was appropriate or not, I'll let everybody else judge.''

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/wildcoaches.html?partnersite=espn

2. DaDa

DaDa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What a brave little man!

3. droxford

droxford Member

He shouldn't feel too bad. Most of us couldn't do much different against a 6'10 260 lb professional athlete.

I'd probably just wet my pants and threaten to drip on him.

-- droxford

4. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

classic. :D

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No joke. Anybody that has the guts to step in between Charles Oakley and Alonzo Mourning when punches are being thrown is a braver man than I.

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Coaches Gone Wild?

whoa, at first I thought maybe Meech showed Van Gundy the ropes - you know, got Van Gundy drunk and had him flashing his breast down in Cancun.

7. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I wonder how he'd look like hangin on to mooch's leg before getting into a fight with earl boykins.........:D :D :D