1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Van Gundy has no creativity.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Dec 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Lutha Head 26pts, that's creativty right there.
    Some of yall need to get your head straight.Outside Yao and Tmac, the talent level drops so much that are not even funny.

2. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

Yao played 41 minutes and he was too tired at the 4th quarter. But JVG had no other strategy but to pass the ball to Yao. I hate JVG the rubbish and miss tmac more and more after such a game.

3. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

I'm not sure about creativity, but I'm wondering how JVG called a time out 2 times, and the best shot we got out of that was a Yao fadeaway 3 point shot???

:confused:

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

you other whiners(the ones against what the main post says) are missing the point. he is not saying get the ball to yao less. he is saying create other plays to mix it up. when ALL you do is go to yao, it is too easy to make him ineffecftive especially in the latter part of the game. sure his overall fg% looks good but most of his misses are at the beginning(when he is cold) and end of games when he is tired or triple-teamed. van gundy runs plays for noone but mac. that's not very creative.

5. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

I'd like to watch Yao shoot 40 times rather than Rafer take 20 shots.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I thought the offense opened up the Laker game with the 2nd stringers ironically...If you mean all Yao is limited to on offense is get fed the ball off a postup and back his way to the basket forcing it in, yeah I can see that. Sometimes it seems 90% percent the offense. Not too many pick and roll situations with Yao and not much of Yao facing up the basket either, strictly low post game and passing out for jumpers. Not like Yao can take the ball on the high post, pivot to face the basket then burn past his man on a drive, though. He's 7-6 and somewhat limited with what he can do. Dribble penetration and getting Yao the ball when he's cutting while nice takes those talented type players. Which the Rockets really don't have.

Having offense for players other than Yao or Tracy, now thats a concept. I can't think of anyone else but Juwan whos had sets run through them. But that's a good thing when you got Rafer on the team. In the end unless Bonzi comes around Van Gundys kinda handcuffed with what he can do out there.

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Sorry to disagree, but on a night when you have 107 points in regulation the problem is not offense, it has more to do with 20 turnovers. You can't blame our perimeter shooting either, the Rockets shot almost 40%.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I didn't watch the second half, so this is coming from a neutral mindset. But isn't this exactly what the OP is trying to get at? 3 of those "bad" plays involved Yao. I can see him easily making those, but never at the end of the game. This whole second half trend is becoming frustrating. A travel, an airball, and a fadeaway that comes up 5 feet short?? That's too much reliance on Yao at the end of the game. We know he isn't exactly the best finisher out there, but maybe that is JVG's fault? 41 minutes for him against a running team might be too much. Teams in the second half have the ability to stop him. It's the coaches job to mix things around.

I could also argue that Yao going 15-32 is pretty ineffective. It wasn't that bad of a night for him, but we should expect more. He was able to position himself very well in the first half. Again, I don't know what kind of shots he took, but he is capable of being a 60% shooter, without a doubt!

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There is a lot more the team can do, give Yao some cutters, pick and roll up top. Give and go more often......more movement.

Usually this is not a great idea as it brings more people to Yao in the post and gives him less room to operate, however, when they are zoning anyway.....find an open spot and get ready to shoot, and it doesn't have to be a 3pter.

DD

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yao is extremely clutch in general. He regularly hits a nice turnaround baseline jumper to seal a victory for us. There is no one on the team I would rather give the ball to when finishing a game except sometimes Tracy (who is out) and Luther (if we need a 3).0

Anyway, in regard to the 3 plays you pointed out, the travel call was BS and the last play wasn't drawn up for Yao.

11. prisonbreak

prisonbreak Member

I don't think "pass the ball to Yao" is really the problem for the Rox. I think the real reason why the game looks boring is that there are not enough sequential moves after Yao gets the ball. No question that Yao can make jump shots pretty good when he faces 1-on-1 defense. However, most teams won't give a lot of such kind of oppotunities for the whole game. When Yao gets boxed, whether the other players make enough moves decides how effective our offense is.

Without T-mac, Yao has to detect the guy who is trying to box him, find out the distance away from the rim, put an eye on whether there are any open-shot oppotunities for our perimeter players behind the arc, and be ready to pass the ball to his teammate who is cutting in from the weak side. We should be proud of the way he has played. Yao is responsible for making the specific decision when he gets the ball while the other players should provide enough choices to him. In my opinion, we have tried too many 3s, but the most effective choice is to cut in from the weak side and attack the rim directly. Snyder once did that pretty well. T-mac also made 2 dunks feeded by Yao in our 1st game against Warriors. I definately think we should do that more often. Bonzi has the ability to do such a job. It's his time now. (BTW, I really miss Snyder, he is so brave that even there is a machine gun in front of him, he still pumped to attact the rim without fear. :cool: )

12. windfern

windfern Member

Jeff is right, it was a boring offense but statistically that was the right thing to do.

That play we always use in the last secs, where Rafer starts to attack 5 secs before clockshot and then passes it to Battier on the right and a quick pass to Yao for a quick hook shot, has a lot of options. We've seen it succesful once, I don't remember against who, but once we start making that play in aconsistent basis, we'll see a lot of variety to that one play.

I'm a little disappointed on the last play last night where Yao took a bad 3pt shot. We can do better than that. I think this is the part that JVG lacks creativity.

13. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

The last play CLEARLY showed a lack of creativity on JVG's part! The play was for Yao to catch the inbounds, throw it back to Luther Head and Head would take the final shot. Hmmmm...where have we seen that before...OH YEAH how about the LAST TIME WE BEAT THE WARRIORS ON THEIR FLOOR WITH A LAST SECOND SHOT!! Even the TV guys showed the recap before the play! The only reason it worked the first time was that T-Mac ran towards half court as a decoy so Luther could get an open look...this time everybody knew it was going back to Head and he was blanketed.

Sad that the talking heads get to laugh this a.m. at "Yao's weak attempt at the buzzer" after the guy dropped 38/18 :rolleyes:

14. amathie

amathie Member

when t-mac is out, beside Yao, what else JVG can do?
    is there any other efficient way on offense beside
    throwing the ball to Yao, waiting for him to score,
    or pass the ball out for 3s when he was double teamed?

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JVG hate threads have no creativity

16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Dangit! you beat me to it... :D

This thread has no creativity!

17. Highwire

Highwire Member

This thread has no creativity.

But this makes sense. Only that you could have said it much better.

18. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

I agree that there are far too many bash threads on JVG and I don't argue with the "pound it in to the big man strategy"--it brought us two championships, but it DOES look like he could use an "offensive coordinator" sometimes LOL

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When TMac is out and we have no real Bonzi, yet, giving it to Yao as much as possible is what I'd do, for damn sure.

That strategy with these injuries either works (a W) or is good practice for Yao to improve.

I mean, as part of Yao's improvement is teammates getting a feel for when he wants them to cut. It's a fine line between when to cut and when to stay put and give Yao room to avoid bringing your man to him. If the entry passer cuts, the reposting option for Yao is often cutting with him. If perimeter guys start moving/refilling spots on cuts, Yao might kick-out to a now vacate spot, if he doesn't pay extra attention to them. And what I consider most important, we don't have the ideal talent for using the opposite high post position right now, but Bonzi can do it. With a superstar center like this, there is such a thing as too much movement that overwhelms him with keeping track of everything. It'll take chemistry building, which starts with GOING THROUGH YAO!!!

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

No problem with the logic. Just wanted to emphasize all of that works exponentially better for a team forcing transition tempo. With slower transition, the defense is already set and in place for a team with too few slashers.