1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy has no creativity.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smartxtai, Dec 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. smartxtai

smartxtai Contributing Member

It annoys me. He keeps on just pounding and pounding the ball into Yao. I hate it because it's always the same in the second half. Rockets waste almost all their time trying to get the ball into Yao every single time and if they can't, they hope that their 3s will bail them out. 3s are supposed to be taken when you are open, not to bail your team out. Yao gets tired because of trying to position and at the end of the game, he isn't as effective anymore. Gundy can't think of other plays for his team when Yao is out. It frustrates me.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We've spent Yao's whole career complaining that he doesn't get the ball enough, and now this? (This should be in the game thread, btw).

Normally we have Mcgrady to bail us out when going to Yao doesn't work. Right now we don't really have any consistent creaters, so we're going to have to rely on 3's.

Don't be too frustrated. We won championships relying on those 3's and a big man. We just turned the ball over too much in the first half tonight, and GS made a big shot at the end.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I unerstand and sympathise with you in this matter.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, going 15-31 for 38 points is incredibly ineffective. Without McGrady, Head is the only player we have who can create his own shot (until Bonzi gets all the way back). They zoned. Yao killed them over and over.

Yes, it is boring as hell. But it worked all night long.

We didn't lose because of JVG's lack of creativity. We lost because we didn't hit a shot on our last possession, we didn't guard the pick and roll on THEIR last possession correctly and we gave up an offensive rebound/putback and one prior to that.

5. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Are you serious? What did you have in mind?? Rafer isolation or juwan post ups.

6. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Contributing Member

if you compare how fluent the lakers game was and compare to ours, i would say i'll take Phil Jackson over JVG anytime
    well, who doesn't?

but on the other side, there's only so much you can do when you just have Yao. the thing is, when they are not passing into Yao, the critics (including us) are saying we need to pass it to Yao everytime, but now he's doing it, we have complains again, that's just life as a head coach.

But i do agree with you that he should come up with better plays to set Yao in a position to catch the ball. in the end of the game, they have two plays surrounding Yao and a third one coming from weak side,

7. docgundy

docgundy Member

Van gundy's strategy is the best strategy right now. Yao is tearing up the league. I won't mind if he takes 50 shots tomorrow. KEEP POUNDING IT GUNDY! Yao nor Gundy did not lose this game. The last 30 secs were crap. And the refs were awful throughout.

8. dudelos

dudelos Member

im gonna have to agree with this. the rockets need a new offensive strategy that they can go to. i like the strategy that utah used that has carlos boozer roaming around looking for the open spot on the floor, that's why he's scoring 20+ per game and why they are winning so much. this could equally work with both mcgrady and shane battier because they both can hit from anywhere. and another thing i wonder is why doesnt luther head get more shots? he's a 50% three point shooter but he mostly gets bail out threes rather than plays made up for him. rafer needs to shoot 5 or six less shots and give it up to the more efficient battier or head.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

jesus christ...just kill me now.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've heard it all now. All the whining and crying about not getting the ball to Yao enough and here we have a thread about going to Yao too much after he scores 38 points. JVG can do nothing right for some of you. JVG has his problems but blaming him for everything including the weather is silly.

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yao got called for a travel with 59 seconds to go. Not JVG.

Shane fouled Dunleavy to give him a 3-point play with under 30 seconds to go. Not JVG.

Yao airballed a hook from great position with 10 seconds left. Not JVG.

Baron Davis hit a cold blooded game winning 3 with 1.2 seconds left. Not JVG.

Yao shot a fadeaway 3 from about 26 feet out and came up about 5 feet short. Not JVG.

If any of those 5 things goes the other way, we likely win the game...on the road...without McGrady.

Now if you want to blame Van Gundy for the last inbounds play, you are probably intoxicated. No matter how much you dislike him, there is no way that Van Gundy drew up a play to get that shot. I believe we even had 1 more time out, which Luther should have called if he had nowhere else to go.

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

GREAT post. Only thing is we were out of timeouts. Otherwise, fantastic.

13. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Do we have to see a new JVG SUCKS thread after every loss?

14. stangend77

stangend77 Member

yes cuz he does...........van dunny :rolleyes:

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Exactly. Perhaps more than any other, the NBA is ultimately a players league. The greatest coach and the greatest players in the world will not be successful if his players don't execute.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've been on the fence with JVG as the coach and it's mostly leaning towards support rather than burning him at the stake. But maybe what Phil Jackson said about JVG IS right--that he's predictable.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

there is nothing you can do on offense with this team. do you want them to run more and forget about yao? we have to run the offense to him. get it into yao and when the defense collapses he'll kick it out to open players.

now, when there is no outside scorer (tmac) things become difficult. the defense knows we only have one option so they pack in the zone around the paint.

at this point, do you ignor yao and play into thier defensive game plan of letting someone else beat you? no. you let yao dominate anyway.

yao is our ONLY option. the defense knows it. they play him 5 on 1. so what can you do with that creatively? find new ways to post him up? go away from yao and let rafer shane and luther win the game without him?

just face it, we don't have enough fire power to compete in the west when tmac is out. even when he's in we are one good scorer short of being a contender.

18. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Well, you can either try to find players that can execute or try to find ways that the players can execute. We have tried the first approach in the past few years but havn't tried the other yet which is replacing JVG with another coach.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes if we had Gene Hackman as coach last year we could have won state man, STATE!

20. stangend77

stangend77 Member

i guess i missed something?