1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy giving his former team love

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by underrated015, Feb 22, 2012.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I like that he said that no one could name our starting five and gave praise to Parsons. I'm pretty sure Van Gundy would've loved coaching him.

It was also funny playing the Sixers last night. We're almost mirror images of each other. Niether of us have a bonifide star, both of us play our young players heavy minutes, yet both of us are fighting for home court advantage just by being well coached and putting up great effort.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

JVG as our color guy would be awesome. Plenty of national guys have regular gig (Marv Albert with MSG, for example).

I really, really hope they re-evaluate the broadcast teams with the new Comcast network. Have a feeling nothing will change though since the Rockets have ownership.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Have they ever brought up a radio guy? I really like Craig Ackerman and Joel Blank combo. Maybe bring one up let the other ride solo.

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You never know, they might :) Rockets/Astros only own 77.5% of it. I would love having JVG to replace Clyde.

I don't mind Bullard at all though.

5. Rockets0515

Rockets0515 Member

I went to a Texans game last year and on the walk from where we parked to stadium he was walking 5 feet in front of me with his daughter, really nice guy talked with him the whole way. So he obviously has a soft spot for houston, would love to get him as a commentator over Drexler

6. senter

senter Member

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=7598360

just listened to this podcast he did with some chicago guys and i found it interesting that he mentioned his top 3 favorite teams were orlando (because of his brother obviously), chicago, and golden state. its at around the 15 minute mark.

I was surprised there was no rockets mention. but its okay, we all know how he feels deep down in his heart haha

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This ^^^^^

1 person likes this.
  8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The 3 teams are coached by (1) his brother, (2) his former head assistant, and (3) his former player and broadcast partner. He's just rooting for friends and family.

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Get it done, Les!!!

JVG, even when the Texans weren't that good, he always give them love. I've seen him at Rice baseball games and seen him on TV at an Astros game.

10. Carl Herrera

JVG as our white guy would be very good as well.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Wow, it would be so awesome. Sadly this will probably never happen :(

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Orlando - Stan (brother)
    Chicago - Thibodeau (long time assistant)
    Golden State - Mark Jackson (long time broadcast partner)

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Am I the only one who thinks he's a horrible, no more like awful, commentator? I cannot stand it when he's color commentating a game! He goes on long rants about something that isn't even relevant and wont shut up.. He's worse than Matt Bullard.

Flame shield on but I hate him as a commentator.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

You crazy man,... lol I love that guy!:grin:

15. tosweet68

tosweet68 Member

Yes, you are the only one :p

16. heartofachamp34

Yea, he can get too carried away with his criticism of the refs and the rulebook. But that's what normal sports fans do too. And he's still very insightful for the most part. My fav commentators are still Doug Collins, Steve Kerr, and Kevin Harlan for the color (no regard for human life!!)

Actually, Marv is working for YES now (the Nets' broadcast network). Mike Breen is the one doing Knicks games.

17. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

This is a first.

18. cod

cod Member

JVG would have loved this pairing on his Rockets :p
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oJaoctqVc0U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There are some thick girls on that cheerleading squad. Get 'er done, Dorsey.

20. Carl Herrera

They have less fans in the stands than the Rockets