1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy Asked if He'd Take Rockets Job on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NOLArocket, Nov 19, 2015.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This is Bickerstaff's team.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

" This team needs a knife fighter" ....... Jeff Van Gundy...2005

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Both JVG and Rick did not get the contract renewals, that were not fired. JVG may be not happy, but,

4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Shows you why JVG is a homer and full of crap..

He says that last year we "overachieved" by getting to the western conf finals, while during the regular season on ESPN he though we can win it all.

These so called analyst have no clue whats going on with this team. We have a great roster that underachieved with McHale...

5. dragician

dragician Member

No way he'll be back.

6. ibm

ibm Member

overachieve - can win it all (at the time),,, is there any contradiction here? i dont see it.

and i agree this season so far we've been under-achieving, i still cant figure out why people have the impression that our current roster is so "ultra talented".

btw, jvg had this subtle disagreement with firing mchale so soon. he said it several times that, when players are "not responding to a coach", its not like black and white or "static". sometimes you just have to wait it out a little. right or wrong, that's the opinion from a former nba coach w/ fair amount of success.

7. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Counting down to "Hey, let's bring back McHale!"

9. Lando

Lando Member

Agree'd. I wish he would have had a follow up question to the extent of something like "is coaching in the NBA something you can see yourself doing in the future ?"

10. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

I know JVG enough to know this is what was he said and i didnt listen.

11. ibm

ibm Member

not necessary. he went for the opening at new orleans this summer. (i was wishing that he'd get it.)

now his daughter has grown up, he's got more time to be a hc again.

12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

he turned down a job in NY because his daughter was still in HS at the time. I believe she now attends UGA.

I saw JVG at his daughter's AAU game a few years ago (my daughter played in the following game). She played like you'd expect of a daughter of JVG... smart, hard nose, fundamentally solid. She hurt her knee in the game... which brought JVG onto the court, but otherwise he sat quietly in the stands.

Must be intimidating coaching the kid of a great NBA coach...

13. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Didn't Battier say many times that they would win but JVG would still be down on the team? That may not go well with the players on this squad.

JB seems to have the Xs and Os while being a motivator as well. Glad we are giving him a chance.

14. ibm

ibm Member

good to know. thanks.

i love the man as a person, and i also wish he'd get another shot in an nba hc capacity. i wish him the ultimate success in coaching. he deserves it.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But that would exactly be what this team needed... they all thought wins would be handed to them simply because they fluked into the WCF last season.

And if this squad can't handle that, they don't have a championship mentality.

16. ibm

ibm Member

was gonna say exactly the same.

its so hard and takes so much to put a "right" group of people together at the "right" time to win a 'ship in sports. the spurs from last yr. comes to mind. they played well, yet down in the 1st round...

17. TheresTheDagger

How interesting would it be to see Dwight Howard being coached by Stan Van Gundy's brother after he got him fired in Orlando?

I think I heard they (SVG and Dwight) reconciled, but you know the national press would make it out to be a big thing.

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Anyone that has listened to him call games on ABC/ESPN could have told you his answer. JVG is fiercely loyal to the coaching brotherhood and would never speculate on an occupied position. We (hopefully won't) revisit this issue in the summer if things go poorly.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Until it isn't.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I really like J.B Bickerstaff. No offense to J.B Bickerstaff. I would take JVG back in a second. Hopefully he has just been waiting around houston to coach.