1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy Asked if He'd Take Rockets Job on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NOLArocket, Nov 19, 2015.

1. ibm

ibm Member

gundy is concerned with the effort and commitment level too, like many of us here.

(paraphrasing)
    it has to start from your best players w/ commitment.
    harden is a championship-caliber player. dwight is "still a great great player" with the most room to improve. but it starts w/ commitment.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is something to say about the son of a coach growing up around Xs and Os all your life, especially an NBA coach. The Van Gundy brothers talk about that, too.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And your response is exactly what he said at the end of his answer. "We've grown to accept that it's OK to 'talk about someone else's job', but I just don't do that."

Sorry his answer bored you.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

great answer. respect to JVG

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I had no problem with him being let go back in 2007. 3 first round exits in 4 years and frankly 2 of those series should've been wins(Dallas, Utah). In his defense though, his roster was far less talented than what the Rockets currently have.

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

That's always his answer, not sure why I bothered to look. JVG always classy about that kind of thing.

7. bmd

bmd Member

You down with JBB (Yeah you know me)
    Who's down with JBB (Every last homie)
    You down with JBB (Yeah you know me)
    Who's down with JBB (All the homies)

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's probably way more concerned with the commitment level of Les Alexander, who forced Gundy out when he refused to be more like Coaching Legend Mike D'Antoni.

9. ibm

ibm Member

yup. as stubborn as the man can be, his integrity is unmatched.

but i still hold some grudge over his insistence that yr. of going all out, with all the injuries in an obviously hopeless season, and trying to win meaningless games. that cost us draft positions. :p

10. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

A head Coach is like the president. No matter who it is, there will always be a good 25% of people that hate them irrationally.

Objectively JVG, Adelman and McHale all did a good job. The difference always comes down to players executing.

11. SamFisher

In what alternate universe were the Rockets favored to win over the 2005 Mavericks?

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Just wanted to add:

The cats out of the bag, JVG has a MAJOR man-crush on Dmo! ... :grin:

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His firing was always more of a PR move in my mind. People were upset without moving on further then they did, but I tend to think that was more of a player issue than a coaching one.

14. ibm

ibm Member

i remember that.

but hiring a hc is all biz b/w the owner and the candidate. if there's a mutual intention from both sides, i am sure they can work it out.

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

He was not fired by the rockets, people still can not get a correction information after several years.

16. SamFisher

According to Jeff Van Gundy, he was fired.

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think many picked the Rockets to beat the Mavs. Both teams did enter the postseason with long winning streaks, so it was a pretty even matchup with experience and home court giving Dallas a slight edge.

But when the Rockets went up 2-0 and were coming home for Games 3 and 4, there was no excuse at that point to lose the series. Yes, the refs did screw over Yao with ticky tack calls and Jon Barry when Finley was out of bounds in Game 5, but they were up double digits in Game 3 and let that game slip away. They were a quarter away from a decisive 3-0 lead and instead lost 3 straight games. Van Gundy deserved at least some heat for that.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Love Van Gundy but I'm riding this ship with JBB

19. ibm

ibm Member

to me game 7 of that series is a myth. what the hell happened? any clue?

20. SamFisher

Dallas was a 58 win team featuring prime Dirk and a very deep roster with former all-stars like Stackhouse coming off the bench - the Rockets meanwhile had Ryan Bowen in the rotation.

Not a single prognosticator or advanced metric had the Rockets winning that series or even taking it to 7.