1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vampire Weekend #1 Album in U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bmthint, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bmthint

bmthint Member

http://pitchfork.com/news/37633-vampire-weekend-hit-number-one/

Vampire Weekend's new album has hit #1 in album sales, beating out mainstream artists like Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, and the Black Eyed Peas. Only the 12th indie title to do so since '91. Is there still hope for music? Is this even thread worthy? Idk but god damn i love this band and this album.

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i need to give there prior album a few more listens. then check this one out.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't like their music though, so I'm not going to cheer just because they are "indie."

4. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

their first album was really good, i have to listen to this

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Cool. It's a good album.

Maybe Spoon will be #1 on next week's charts.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Spoon deserves it. Their new album is $$$.

Vampire Weekend, not so much unless you have a vag.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

please don't turn into Kings of Leon...please.

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Moe's is going to crap all over this thread like it's a Jazz Fan begging for mercy.

I can't wait...

9. DCkid

I actually like Vampire Weekend's album more. Only listening to it twice, I would say it's Spoon worst album. That being said, I do like it a lot.

:rolleyes:

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

popular?

11. DCkid

My guess is that he's referring to completely changing their image and sound as to become more marketable. I would say it's unlikely as the new VW album is less "pop" than their debut.

12. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

"Indie" is the new "alternative."

Which means we have a few short years before the indie versions of Nickelback start showing up.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

They already did that, god they are so conscious of their image.

The first album they were going for a "We summer in Cape Cod" look and now they are a "California band." Its like they did their undergrad at Harvard and Yale but decided they didn't want to work at their respective father's law firms and investment banks so they all got to together and decided to go do their post grad at Stanford. "He gaize! We're headed for the Contra Costa (spanish for opposite coast)!"

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Back in the day bands such as Black Flag, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, Fugazi and Dinosaur Jr. were considered Indie according to the book I'm reading, "Our Band Could Be Your Life- Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991."

Maybe I wasn't aware of the "Indie" sling back then, but I sure didn't consider them anything but alternative or the beginning of Grunge.

#14 LonghornFan, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  15. Shovel Face

Shovel Face Member

I remember a long time ago when Cobain talked about "Grunge Greatest Hits" TV ads that would appear in 20 years. I didn't think something like that would really happen. The music was too obscure haha. Less than twenty years later he was right and it made me laugh.

I also never thought there would be a day when I would hear Red Hot Chili Peppers songs being played in McDonald's etc. In the mid 80's that notion would seem to be a complete impossibility.

I for one embrace the insanity.

Lady Gaga is much more of an artist than yall realize too, IMO.

16. DCkid

Give me a break, any perceived change in image you're seeing is nothing compared to Kings of Leon.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

I feel a lot of VW's criticism just comes across at petty. How dare these preppy kids from upper middle class backgrounds have success with their music! Don't they know there is no place in indie rock for polos! If only they wore second hand clothing and ironic t-shirts.

Whatever. Focusing on the music, their new album doesn't do anything to suggest they're trying to have broader commercial appeal.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

hahaha. unfotunately KOL weren't that good to begin with...but yeah, they totally changed (but it has made them money)

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fugazi was def indie. Didn't they sell cds out of their home or something?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I cannot dispute this. She's the closest thing to Madonna in the last decade.

20. DCkid

This type of thing confuses the crap out of me.

I always thought alternative pretty much started with REM's Murmur (or maybe a few of their lesser known influences).

I though Black Flag, Husker Du, Fugazi, and Minor Threat would fall closer to punk (specifically hardcore punk) than alternative, no?

As far as "indie." It depends if its being used with its literal definition of a group who sells record through independent labels. Or currently it is used more to describe a genre of music starting with the likes of Pavement.

#20 DCkid, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010