1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Values] Do Americans Take Sports Too Seriously?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The ref has already indicated he's considering suing over the incident, but for libel and slander rather than anything else. Apparently the kids are claiming that the reason they did what they did was due to the ref shouting racial slurs at them or some nonsense like that.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Football coaches are the highest paid employees of some state governments, much less individudal schools.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

S!
    E!
    C!

4. juicystream

juicystream Member

Sports being taken too seriously is a worldwide problem. In the pros, I can at least understand that there is money at stake, but amateur sports?

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sometimes they're the highest-paid full-time, in-house staff, but they also generate the most non-tax revenue per capita; and governments hire all kinds of consultants for much higher compensation. The managers for state pension funds or trusts are finance professionals and demand comparable fees.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Do you? You don't seem to have any identity or frame of references beyond your religious and political factionalism, and you display very tenuous grasp of either. Literally no effort on your part to discuss the thread topic beyond reaffirming your clique membership and ideological insecurities.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

There are still way too many people who "don't watch sports" whatever that means.

8. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I don't know about the rest of the world, but for the United States...I think most people, including many hardcore sports fans, have their priorities straight enough to keep in mind that "it's only a game" and not to take sports too seriously. Sure lots of people get mad if an official makes a terrible call during a close game, but they quickly get over it and don't lose any sleep or break things over it. It's a vocal minority that goes overboard into crazy-ridiculous-hate territory with the things they say and/or do. And that small group of people usually attract a LOT of attention from the media...y'know, shock value and all that. It's real tempting for some people to generalize the actions of a few and wrongly apply it to all of society.

That said, I think the John Jay incident isn't a good example to use for the thread topic. Those two kids were just a couple of brats that will hopefully be kicked out of all sports (and I suspect their parents probably weren't model citizens either) and the assistant coach who orchestrated the whole thing is disgusting scum that needs to be behind bars.

I agree.

Deep down (perhaps subconsciously), some people fear those that they don't know and "aren't one of us".

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

SAN ANTONIO FOOTBALL PLAYERS SAY COACH TOLD THEM TO STRIKE REFEREE

Dudes are saying they were told to do it by a coach. F that iSht. I would QUIT and tell everyone what they're "telling me to do." :mad:

<iframe width="476" height="270" src="http://abc13.com/video/embed/?pid=990670" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whatever they say the REF said... doesn't justify them hitting the ref, much less BLIND-SIDE.

At least, in the minimum, do it like it seems it was "legal" or "by accident"...

Now they are saying "regret." Ha. Hindsight, huh? :mad:

10. bnb

bnb Member

no surprise.

two kids don't take it upon themselves to hit a ref on the same play without being directed to do so.

...and i'm of mixed feelings on the mullet. Bit nostalgic on it's return but not liking the beatles bowl cut influence or the shave. Like a 60's, 80's, 00's mash up.