1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Valuation of Rudy Gay from Grizzlie's Fans Point of View

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wizkid83, Jan 31, 2009.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This could've gone to another Battier vs. Gay thread, and if need be please merge it, though I think there's a slightly different angle here.

After the Steve Francis trade, I briefly started digging for Memphis boards to see some of Francis's news (btw, the search only re-affirm my belief that Clutchfans is the best basketball board on the web). While reading through some of the thread titles, I was actually surprised at some of the feelings the fans have towards Gay.

It seems that there are some sentiments and doubt from Grizzlies fan concerning Gay in that he is

1) A detriment on the defense
    2) He can't play in the offense without the ball in his hands
    3) When OJ is in the game, he parks behind the three point line and just spots up
    4) There has being very low evolution in his game from his rookie year.

For example take a look at this topic:
    http://boards.grizzliesonline.com/index.php?showtopic=4654

Now, I'm not saying that wont laugh us if we offered Battier for Gay right now, nor am I saying he wont grow other areas of his game and blossom into a great player. What I want to point out is that

1) There's no telling what Rudy's developement would be on team where he's at best the third option, he might only take the floor as a spot up 3 point shooter with Yao and T-Mac.

2) Given his need to dominate the ball and our team set up, he would've have had a lot less playing time, especially the first year under JVG with his poor defense.

3) He could become great like Kobe, or just another mirage like Corey Magette.

4) Fans will complain and b---h about players that just a few years ago they loved. It doesn't matter what teams or city the player is on, it only matter what they've done lately. And then there will always be tireless defenders of the players being blasted :)

2. FFz

FFz Member

Replace OJ with Yao and ask any rockets fan who that reminds u of.

3. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I get the feel that they believe it's going to be OJ Mayo's team and not Rudy's. Fast how a rookie can supplant their star so quickly.

4. ibm

ibm Member

rudy gay is a nice player. but he ain't nothing special. each year in the draft you can spot up about half a dozen just like him.

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Why does no one mention that stromile swift was also involved in this deal? Dumping his contract was a pretty big part of that trade that goes unmentioned. If we still had stromile, we would not have been able to sign scola or landry. Ill take Scola, Landry, Battier over gay and swift any day.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Don't think that thought hasn't crossed my mind.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

wow, nice to see that the grass truly isn't greener on the other side.

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Battier has averaged 5.5 points while playing over 30 mpg this month. Do his so-called intangibles outweigh that? I don't think so. Could Rudy Gay be taught to give you the same intangibles on this team? Yes, I believe so. Could he do it while scoring on the offensive end as well? Yes he can. Would Rudy Gay be more effective on the Rockets right now than Battier? Again, the answer is yes (especially with T-Mac's injuries). It's easy to see who got the better end of this deal. Battier can't even get you a lottery ticket much less a lottery pick.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If so, why doesn't he get himself taught some intangibles for his current team. 12 game losing streak and counting. The so called rising star perhaps should learn to step up.

Sure, another ball-stopper who plays no defense is exactly what we need to to fill the quota during TMac's injuries.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Please don't bring Battier into this, or you're basically ignoring the point of this thread.

This is in response to so many Rocekets fans proclaiming that Gay is the next superstar more than anything else, because we see nothing but box scores. The point is that Gay puts up better numbers than his actual skill suggest.

11. Eric Wong

Eric Wong Member

Why his name is gay??? Gay, oh, no no no. AIDS!

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

So Luther Head can avg 10 as a rookie, Wafer can avg 15 as a starter, yet Rudy can't play as a rookie nor avg 17 with Yao and tracy?

Kenny Smith always said in Sacramento , those were the hardest 17ppg in the world and in houston those were the easiest 13 in the world. All those that think its easy to score on a bad team hasn't played oragnized basketball before and were never the main option neither.

13. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Well he's stepped up a few times and single handedly won games for them. But to answer your question I think it's because the focus for him in Memphis is to score a lot for his team (not saying that's right or wrong). Thus, if his job is to score points, he's going to concentrate less on other aspects of the game. He's only in his 3rd year and those other things will come along.

I think the Rockets could've molded Gay into a player that fits this team real well. He has all the athletic tools and he's a multi-dimensional basketball player as oppossed to somebody who just pitches a tent at the corner 3 pt line. He wouldn't be the focal point of the opposing team's defense as he has been in Memphis. Overall, he would actually be in a better position to do better here than in Memphis

Herrera I've noticed other than the ocassional post here and there you've been absent in the Battier threads. Are you running out of obscure stats to defend your boy? Would love to see you come into those threads and address the criticisms Battier is receiving by many posters or did Vernon Maxwell take a weight to your face again? :)

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think the point being made is many people believe Rudy Gay would have averged like 25-30ppg alongside Yao and Tracy. Your comment is right, if lesser talents like Head and Wafer can get 10-15, then surely Rudy can get 15-17, BUT in a similar role as them, spot up shooter with drives here and there. He wasn't going to come in and become an all star because there simply wasn't a role for that here. So was it really worth keeping Gay and a bad Stromile Swift contract for him to score 17 pts a game, 2 more than a "scrub" could get playing with Yao and tracy?? Of course not, you get a glue guy, get rid of a bad contract, and get a role player who demands less touches and less money, who can get you those 15 pts a game,as for the other 2, i'm sure Yao or tmac can make up for those.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I feel some, not all, home team fans tend to underrate their "star" players and overrate their role/bench players.

16. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Kwame, you belong on my sig with Leebigez.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't want to turn this thread into the whole Gay v Battier deal. My point was this, it didn't have to be Rudy, but he was the highest rated player on the board and he fit a need position for the team. If nothing else, draft the guy and sign Mo Evans,Matt Barnes type to play either behind or in front of him. If he's struggling, someone is always enamored with talent. I was on the board talking up Ronnie Brewer during the draft because I knew Gay would be gone and he was the 2nd best wing in the draft. When I heard they were trying to get Roy, but had failed, I thought they should just take Gay or Brewer.

The thing is also, people on his board have been crowning Wafer and his accomplishments since he's cracked the rotation. Imagine rudy with a tracy from 2 yrs ago and yao. Both of whom were better players then than now. They wouldn't have felt the need to trade for artest of they would have drafted gay or brewer. The canyons for slashing has always been there, but the rox didn't have the type of players that could take advantage. As far getting rid of Swift, how valuable would his contract be now? That's 6m that comes off this summer or could be used as trade bait. The rox screwed up and if they had to do it over, they wouldve just drafted Gay or Brewer.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

there's been a lot of things, not related to the battier-gay trade, that have gone wrong and kept the rockets from really contending...but that being said, had let's say those thing didn't happen, like the injuries for example. In that scenario keeping swift would have been a really bad move and hurt the team's chances since he would have been their PF and wasn't really working out.. Sure his contract would be desirable NOW, but they weren't planning for the future, but for what was the present at that time. Its easier to look back now, after all the injuries and lack of offense, and say Gay could have really helped us.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Kinda yeah it was valuable like that. Though it can be seen as the Scola acquistion being its own independant thing. That was Spurs wanting to get out Scola's contract and the Rockets taking it out their hands giving them Spanoulis's expiring contract.

Landry was a 2nd round pick who shoulda been signed to the standard cheap 2 year deal. And as rocks for brains as Stromile is, he can play backup center. If anything no Stromile freed up money for Bonzi Wells & Steve Francis signings.

So I'll take Stromile at backup center, Scola, Rudy Gay & Landry on rookie scale contracts over Battier & company.

20. manhore

manhore Member

Is it me or is it just coincidence that the coach at that time was JVG when Yao and McGrady was playing at a higher level?