1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Valentine's day "un-islamic"?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Exiled

Exiled Member

Do you speak French ! Then how come you don't know that Quebec French is

drifted from la langue maternelle

Maybe you lived in Laval or west island but the language law applied upon cultural demands , this years an increase of Restriction is going to take place . Once you move further to Quebec city or St. Laurent you will not find many people accepting to use English ,nor broken French as a way of communication

As for others not accepting Valentin or other foreign cultural tradition , it's their right to do what's fit them I'm not going question why Hindu put red spot on their head , Jew wearing tiny hat or why American think a dog licking a kid face is adorable etc ; it's their culture/religious things, people happen to be just different

2. Northside Storm

You're not going to question those faiths, but assumably you'd support their "cultural practice" of banning other cultural practices because, well, ick? Because supporting cultural diversity and banning cultural diversity are the same thing? :confused:

and are you questioning my French with your two words, or did you not understand my English? and why are you using Google Translate? Pourquoi est-ce que tu parles du langue maternelle, conard, la langue maternelle des Français est la même que celle des Québécois. Regarde-moi, je peux te traiter comme une putain ou osti de tabarnak de calice, je peux te traiter comme un conard. Ohhhhh je parle Parisien et je parle Québécois. <<*Check-ça*>> mec!

...le français, c'est le français. Conard.

(hey french bypasses the swear filter! sweet.)

Google Translate that s**t. lol.

I lived a few steps away from Place des Arts metro, in the Quartier des spectacles right next to Bouillon Bilk, Furco, and Parvis (all of which I enjoyed copiously) so yeah, if you're going to spout off city names in YOUR broken English to try to explain to me how my home province AND hometown works, I don't think that will roll :rolleyes:

Google Maps that s**t.

And no, I highly doubt the Liberal government will increase budget to the OQLF compared to the PQ.

Wikipedia that s**t.

None of this has remotely ANYTHING to do with prudes banning commercialized love, it has more to do with lingual paranoiacs trying to enforce language laws that I don't even think make sense. I'm not sure why you'd even bring it up.

#22 Northside Storm, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If Muslim don't want to celebrate it, fine. If the government is banning it, that is intolerance and if they are banning it based on it's not Islamic, it's religious intolerance.

It's pretty anal though. Valentine is more of a commercial celebration around the world than anything. Who really think of Saint Valentine? Just heart, card and chocolate and whatever else. What harm can it do?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

More backwards thinking due to religion.

Hooray.

DD

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I did the math. In Islam, 95.58% of all matter and notions are considered haram.

[​IMG]

6. bongman

bongman Member

I did not celebrate Valentine's yesterday. Does this make me Islamic?

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

honestly who gives a crap. They can do what they want, I think its a stupid scam reaching into my pocket every year but banning it, like somebody already stated, is petty.

Its not a picthforkesque mob southpark moment though.

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

Um, so what does "banned" mean in this context because the articles clearly state that most folks participate anyway.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

At this point you can make an argument that everything in the world in unIslamic

people are bat**** crazy

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've read of protests of Valentine's in a lot of Asian countries, including Hindus in India and people in Japan. So what? It's a scam holiday.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Conrad lol

You swing between "malcommode" or "Un esti d'cave" to defend your poor opinion

No reason to be stubborn ,move on , everyone out side of French Canadian speaker find it near impossible to understand what's going on .

You should just focus on using Google skills to find Valentine's day origin, history and educate your self a bit over this commercials luv your mentioned . Can you even order a cup of coffee or donut from TimHorton in many places in Quebec if you don't know French !
    Or why people of this province paranoids with English stuffs !
    Can you explain why this French Canadian tube had to be translated with subtitle in English and proper French if it was understood by other Francophone !?

I guess like many others in montreal ,getting drunk,high ,after public urination while calling others stupid is your way of joy

[youtube]FPcuFs0_0Qk[/youtube]

12. Northside Storm

Why don't you learn how to type properly in English before insulting anybody's linguistic skills--you are utterly incomprehensible. You have several flaws in your logic spread throughout your posts, but I can't tell if it's because you can't express yourself in English, or you just have nothingness where a reasoning faculty should be. ;)

Your French is straight out of Wiktionary, which to be honest, is much better than your English. I don't feel the need to explain how joual works and doesn't work to somebody who cherrypicks a f**king Youtube video and can't seem to express himself properly. I let it slide before even though discussing with you was like running through an incomprehensible barbed wire for the most part, but if you're going to be a d**k about my language and hometown...

As for the "way of life in Montreal"--hell yeah on the drugs/alcohol, not to mention having one of the highest standards of living for one of the lowest costs in the developed world, researchers who are redefining artificial intelligence and creatives running the world's largest brand campaigns.

Novel evolutionary behavior tends to correlate and cluster around intelligent people--so thanks for the compliment for Montreal, a city where I'll assume a few people kicked you in the nuts, or you got sexually frustrated by the glaringly beautiful women :)

anyways, if you want to get back to the topic at hand, you can start by spouting gibberish about banning St Valentines as a result of cultural prudishness vs banning English-only translations in Quebec :/

#32 Northside Storm, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  13. Exiled

Exiled Member

Lol yeah you must be very lonely in Houston when you picture Montreal women , and I do seriously understand why is that so possible

iPad mini 3 browser drive me crazy especially on this website ,I use opera now but it keep shutting down or curser flicker so often to the point I just submit whatever so it make my broken English even worst

And for the French ,yeah it was intentional ,translation won't come by easily from Google :)

My favourite city by far is Kitchener ,ON , but I spent a few years in montreal as I was doing my résidence en médecine interne, this would make a few people faints . I don't know many places to be honest , Côte de niage area as St.Mary,montreal de general etc on my way -bus 59 , didn't have time to hang out often, and when I had a chance I would go somewhere else but I'm one of those a few people who really didn't like this place . It Felt so similar to New Orleans which I didn't like either but with worse weather 9 months a year...snow shoving or summer steam is not my ideal environment , it felt sometimes depressing , I did't mind living in Baytown instead

As for the drugs and intellectual standard , this what every crack addicts says lol

14. Northside Storm

I'm not in Houston, I'm in the Bay Area now, though your logic probably applies doubly as hard here, but hey, what's life without some struggle ;)

You may have visited Montreal for a time (I hope a residence at the General didn't dissuade you from medicine in general), but I was raised there as a Bill 101 child. As you can probably tell, language issues and sassing my hometown make me swear slightly more than normal :)

Watson and Crick, Steve Jobs, Paul Erdos, and many others are proof that drugs do not equal destruction, They can also usher in great creativity.

I don't think language laws are particularly relevant in this discussion, and neither do I think they are a good example of either data-driven or successful policy. That's really the point I'm driving at on this aside.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exiled, do you think people who celebrate Valentine's Day should be treated like Raif Badawi? Do you think Raif Badawi should be treated like Raif Badawi? Do you think a culture that treats people like that for having an opinion is superior to whatever is going on in Montreal?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I see that Exiled dodged the question.

Is that him? :confused: What is this gentleman actually saying?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1N8ShN_t26Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

The sad thing is, if valentine's day celebrated the love between a man and his goat, no one in the Islamic community would have a problem with it.