1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Valanciunas' team believes that Rockets would select him if he can't reach a buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jun 11, 2011.

1. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Is he as good as Malick Badiane?

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'd be excited if we traded pick 14 and 23 to move up to 10 and take this guy, even if we knew we could not get him over here for 2 years. People are seriously overestimating the value of our picks in this draft.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

His ceiling is Pau Gasol. No one in the draft outside of Irving and Williams has the potential to be better (yes not even Kanter). You take him even if you don't get him for another two years.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes, teams can pay up to $500k to a foreign team for any player without it counting against the cap. That was included in both scenarios that I described.

The Rookie Exception is what allows teams over the cap to sign their first round picks.

ROOKIE EXCEPTION -- Teams may sign their first round draft picks to rookie "scale" contracts even if they will be over the cap as a result (see question number 42).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q19

You are correct that you can use the Minimum Player Salary Exception on any player. I didn't think it applied to draft picks but they are included.

Looks to me like there's not much chance that Valanciunas' falls to us. There were reports that Valanciunas' buyout would be at least $3M but there have also been subsequent reports that the actual amount is still being negotiated.

Supposedly both Clevland and Toronto are very interested in him at #4 or #5. I'd have to think one of the lottery teams above us would simply use their cap space to pay a bigger chunk of his buyout and ensure that he comes over to the NBA immediately. I can't see him getting past Cleveland, Toronto, Utah, Detroit and Sacramento and still being there when we pick. Without the buyout issue he's a potential top 5 pick so once you start getting to #7 or so it's a great value even if you have to use up some additional cap space.

If he were to fall to the Rockets then I think that you take him regardless of the buyout situation. Even if you had to wait for him that would still be a huge value at #14.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Man I don't know about this stashing a player for 2 yrs thing. I need something to be excited about next season.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'll be excited if there IS a next season.

You're spoiled. :p

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where have all the big men gone? Is it really a product of the illegal defense changes?

8. anchel

anchel Member

Yeah, or at least I agree with you. :) I think today he would be a mid-late 1st round pick. And I'd say early-mid pick if he had played as PG these last 2 years and had been coached differently. Curiously, both Ricky and Llull probably would be now better -and more prepared NBA- players if they had interchanged teams. It's the bad part of drafting a player and let him go. Their respective teams (especially coaches) won't care about his NBA development, they are only concerned about winning games and save their jobs.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Doubt that teams would actually pay on top of the cap for a rookie. Rubio and Splitter comes to mind.

10. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Why are we getting excited over a guy who will help us after two years, but we will be mediocre until then.

11. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Excellent pick up!!

12. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

The dream team in your sig considers Tracy McGrady to be the best SG of all time. So, you wouldn't understand why.

1 person likes this.
  13. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

OK, your favorite player at that position. Whatever, still insane.

14. herro

herro Member

It's just saying that he's a lottery pick. We ARE the floor of the lottery.

15. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Nobody ever thought Battier was a better player than Gay, not even Morey.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm not following your logic. Minnesota would have gladly helped pay Rubio's buyout, but the buyout itself wasn't really the issue. Rubio didn't want to join the T-Wolves until now. Minnesota used the #5 overall pick on Rubio, you don't think that they would have used some of their available cap space to ensure Rubio joined them immediately?

As far as Splitter, when he was drafted he didn't have a buyout option so teams knew that he wouldn't be available for a couple of years no matter what.

Neither of those two situations are similare to Valanciunas'. His current team is in financial trouble so everyone knows that he's available for the right price.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As far as him possibly being drafted by the Rockets and staying overseas, wouldn't it be better for him to come over right away seeing as we have a big man coach as our head coach. We have a new coaching staff as well. Or is this because of the possible lockout?

18. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

This shouldn't come as much of a surprise. Regardless of the buyout situation, the Rockets were expected to be one of the teams that would take Valanciunas without even blinking. As a Rocket fan, I am really hoping that the contract negotiations continue to go south because that is honestly the only way we are going to land him without giving up significant pieces to move up. There are still a lot of teams that would still take Valanciunas though, if he slips then it might be best to package our picks to move up a few spots so we could secure him before another team does.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not to derail this thread, but I thought it was pretty cut and paste Battier has been the better player for the first 4-5 years of Gay's career. Now that Gay has leveled up he's the better player, however if you take the value (talent per dollar) of their contracts Battier's still the better choice for any contending team. Any team that pays Gay 20M is destined for failure, especially since all their other rookies are up for big money over the next 2-3 years.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

You slept with Malick Badiane???

The thadeus strikes again!!:p