1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Valanciunas' team believes that Rockets would select him if he can't reach a buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Jun 11, 2011.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/statuses/83169622383263744

Hmm. Unless the Bucks really like Valanciunas it doesn't make much sense with Bogut already being there and the Bucks being in a win now mode (that's said to be their thinking anyway).

Smokescreen? :)

2. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

As has been pointed out numerous times, Valanciunas is much more of a PF than he is a C right now. ESPN is just running wild with calling him a C. At this point of his career, he is much more of a power forward.

I will say it again, he was too small and too weak to guard any center in the low post in Euroleague.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

These teams, if they want Valanciunas would be trying to trade up for him anyway, with or without any publicity regarding Houston's interest. It's not that hard to figure out that, once you get past, say, the top 7 or 8 picks, teams will have to seriously think about drafting Valanciunas even if he's not coming over right away.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This is why Houston is talking to Detroit about a deal.

5. HMMMHMM

I disagree.

You're right that as of right now he's too weak to guard any centers, Euroleague or NBA, but saying he's too small is nonsense. He has the measurements of a NBA center and he'll bulk up over time. The frame is there and he's already put on a decent amount of weight over the last year.
    He's not fast enough to keep up with NBA PF's either.

6. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Say it all you want but it doesn't change the fact that he's a 7 footer. He's not ready, strength wise, for the NBA right now -- and perhaps even Euroleague as you suggest -- but in two years he could be a pretty good center.

Nobody is expecting him to be an immediate contributor -- heck, he's not even coming over for another year -- but he plays center for his current team and I see no reason he won't continue playing center as he gets stronger.

Edit: damnit hmmmhmm.

7. HMMMHMM

http://twitter.com/LithuaniaBasket/statuses/83221109452963841

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress/statuses/83224657129508864

Well... if it's Valanciunas the Bucks covet, then who are we trading up for?

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

9. HMMMHMM

Must be Jimmer then ! :)

10. pge71188

pge71188 Member

11. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Valanciunas is more than fast enough to guard NBA power forwards. And if he keeps bulking up his small frame, he will lose his motor.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chad Ford:

As I wrote in my mock draft, news that Jonas Valanciunas won't play in the NBA next season makes it unlikely the Cavs will select him at No. 4. However, it doesn't mean the Cavs still won't draft him. I'm hearing the Cavs are exploring moving down a few spots in the draft to take him. The goal is to secure another first-round pick to compensate them for not getting Valanciunas to play this season. One potential scenario has the Wizards giving up Nos. 6 and 18 for the No. 4 pick. The caveat? Enes Kanter has to be there at No. 4 for the Wizards. If he's not, there's no deal.

The Cavs, for their part, would take Valanciunas at No. 6 and add a third asset at No. 18. Jordan Hamilton and Marshon Brooks are among the possibilities with the latter pick.

If the Cavs don't select Valanciunas, it appears he still won't fall out of the lottery. I have him at No. 14 in my latest mock. But I'm hearing this afternoon that the Bucks might select him at No. 10 if he's on the board, and the Warriors are even more likely to take him at No. 11.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't understand why the Bucks would want him with Bogut on the roster. I also don't understand why the Wizards want Kanter when they have McGee.

14. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Because he is more of a power forward than a center. People like Chad Ford have never seen Valanciunas play even a single game.

15. HMMMHMM

Well, for one McGee has the brain of a nut and so has Andray Blatche.

McGee is a little younger though and maybe not as immature as Blatche, so the Wizards are probably thinking about pairing Kanter with McGee.

16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

So everyone bar you are wrong on the topic he is a PF instead of a C because you *think* they haven't seen Valanciusnas play at all? Right.

17. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Hmm maybe if Cleveland drafts Kanter and Valanciunas falls to the Rockets at 14, they can make some sort of swap...

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

seriously every european player the rockets look at you always say he is not yet ready. even the ones who show the most promise.

19. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Yes. That is correct.

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

I never said Valanciunas is "not ready". I never said any such thing. I simply answered why the Bucks might want him. Because he is much more of a power forward than a center.

I like Valanciunas. He would be a good pick. But he can't guard a single center in Euroleague. He is also much more of a power forward on offense. It is true that people like Chad Ford have never in their lives seen a European basketball game.