1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vaccine priorities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ROXRAN, Dec 11, 2020.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I seen lots of people say hey @ROXRAN , I’m not gonna be quick to take the vaccine. Supposedly according to the reliable mainstream news , they state already a third have the natural immunity because of the recovered exposure - of course if I recovered I would be in the back of the line, once the elderly and frontline folks receive the vaccine.
    my debate question is fast forward to 2021 when the vaccine is available to at large people, what is your forecast model in your view on how people are receptive to the vaccine ...should we be watching England as a guinea pig signal or simply trust the vaccine and not look at other countries and how they react to vaccine ...I want every liberal here to give me your thoughts. I need 3 things 1. Please put down those you don’t politically agree with and tell us how awful they are. 2. Attack me personally, tell me I suck, call me a name or act generally hostile - trust me my feelings won’t be hurt , it’s D&D after all. It’s to be expected 3. Tell me how this thread is dumb

thank you for your cooperation. I hope you and your family doesn’t die from COVID
    :) haha

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/rbg-has-passed-away.307378/

Blatz likes this.
  3. ROXRAN

4. ROXRAN

Ps it’s the weekend . I’m happy. Nothing you can do about it , send the rage !

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Priority 1) Nursing Homes, Priority 2) ICU and ED docs and nurses, Priority 3) essential workers, Priority 4) roll out to the rest of the masses.

Older individuals and individuals with comorbidities take priority for group 4.

6. ROXRAN

7. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I am so glad this is nearing the next phase. 3000 deaths a day, including the parents of close friends, is unreal.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The mRNA vaccine is much safer than traditional vaccines. There's no reason to not get it.

9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

The science is beautifully simple and I am kind of surprised it works at all.

10. ROXRAN

I just hope we go into a phase where people stop dying , businesses can exist without I don’t care attitudes from liberal leaders , or maybe they care about businesses but hate businesses political inclinations, who knows but I think it’s fair to say businesses got it bad regardless of politics

herd immunity may actually be in play, we still hate each other but it’s important to keep each other alive so we can continue to hate each other and think the other side is stupid if we differ politically

Nook likes this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The method has supposedly been around for decades. It is cool how they can design it to produce specific proteins. If they can improve the method, this will only make future vaccines safer when virus DNA doesn't have to be introduced.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If it takes 5 months for the majority of us to get a vaccine a half million more could be dead at that point. Today we had almost a quarter million new positive cases. This is worse than I ever expected. Of course, Trump doesn't care. He gets all the care in the world, testing, and urgent private personal care for himself.

13. HROZ

HROZ Member

I don't think America can say no to the vaccine.
    USA is too far gone.
    USA not vaccinating will destroy the US economy more than the incompetence of the US government already has.

But the old & vulnerable should get the vaccine first

Healthcare workers 2nd

Then everyone else.

FranchiseBlade and deb4rockets like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Should be mandatory for all kids to even step foot in school.

Should be mandatory for anyone wishing to attend a large event - need to have a card showing you got one.

DD

Nook and malakas like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I bet pfizer going to be rolling out similar tech against cancer next. This is probably why they didn't take federal money for developing the tech. (complete guess work BS here, but it's interesting; I know some people in the biz and they think the tech could easily pivot to different types of cancer.)

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why do you insist on throwing out random baseless chicken little nonsense?

The highest risk are getting the vaccine first. If you're not sure what that means, its the people who are most likely to die from it.

Feb/March is when we will start seeing significant drops across the board. The vaccine will start kicking in, a greater number of people will have antibodies and its the time of year when we see a shift in peoples day to day activity.

Go take an Xanax and chill out

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree. The old and vulnerable are the most at risk of dying or ending up on a ventilator for weeks, compared to anyone else. I have two cousins who got Covid in another state who are both nurses, but work in administrative type jobs. Neither required care outside their home, and from what I heard basically didn't make a big deal of it other than mild symptoms.

Both those nurses were Republicans, and from what little I know seemed to be getting out and around others outside of work. I only mentioned political party because it does seem to show a more no big deal attitude in how they avoided all risks. If either had exposed their mom to the virus the outcome could have been serious, if not deadly.

I would say for vaccine priority elderly in nursing homes and long term care facilities first. They are the most vulnerable, and highest risk. Then elderly starting 80 and above, who are living at home. They are practically living in isolation or risking death, if they have no choice in who are living with them, and how careful those people are themselves. The problem is that there aren't nearly enough vaccines.

According to a 2018 report we had 842,046 age 80 or older. So, if you vaccinated those 80 and above, and only have 1.4 million doses or so, you wouldn't even have enough left to vaccinate those 70 and above before running out, and healthcare workers and such would be left out completely. That 2018 report also said Texas had 1,796,338 people 70 or older. We haven't even addressed the medically fragile, with heart problems, cancer, anemia, or immune deficiencies.

It's sad and scary that all those listed above will be left out if we start with the healthcare professionals and first responders. In reality, unless mass production and delivery of a couple more vaccines takes effect, all those high risk elderly and medically high risk could be waiting months in isolation or in vulnerable high risk living quarters, where they have no choice of those they are around, before they get a vaccine.

This is the only plan I have seen, and the elderly look like they won't get the vaccine before those doses that come here run out. I just hope and pray things change.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/12/08/your-questions-answered-covid-19-vaccine-in-texas/

CometsWin and malakas like this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I hope you are right, but the report said different. See my follow up post. All states do it different. Texas plan is in my other post. You are pretty rude in your response. Unnecessary.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

1) I predict the red snowflakes (and orange ones) will not take the vaccine.
    2) I predict the Snowpublicans will secede and build a wall around the Corn Belt.
    3) I predict the Darwin Award of the decade goes to . . . Snowmerica!
    (We can buy cheap houses as they keep killing themselves--and the rest of us.)

CometsWin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a very important topic and one that shouldn't be clouded with personal pettiness. Leaving that aside here re my thoughts.

By March millions of people around the World will have taken the vaccine and I doubt there will be many cases of severe side effects. That doesn't mean there won't be any and likely there will be a few cases of severe side affects even of people dying from it. For example I read a post from someone saying that 6 people died while on the Pfizer trial. Now 4 of that 6 were actually on the placebo and the other two deaths were determined from unrelated causes. That said stories like that will be magnified and taken out of context to fuel distrust.

That will be balanced out that as more people take few people themselves will hear from people they know suffering severe side effects or themselves suffering from it. Also with the new administration will be pushing the vaccine(s) very hard, many businesses will require people to take them and airlines and other countries might prohibit people from travelling unless they can show proof they were vaccinated. My guess is that will lead to about 60% of Americans taking a vaccine. It will be just around the border of getting herd immunity.

Another problem might be that as the vaccine get's more widely distributed and we see overall numbers of new infections and deaths drop the very success of it might make it harder to get holdouts to take it. With other anti-vaxx movements we've seen how the success of the vaccine actually played into the perception that the disease wasn't serious. For example with outbreaks of measles many who argued against the taking the vaccine said that measles was now rare so not taking the vaccine was fine. Of course in communities that didn't vaccinate we saw that measles wasn't actually gone.

I think we might see something similar. A year from now we might still be getting outbreaks of COVID-19 among groups that haven't vaccinated and we will still be dealing with this disease for years to come.

Nook and malakas like this.