1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vacation / Road Trip Suggestions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

- Forced to use a week's vacation by April 26th or I lose it
    - Taking off April 18th - April 22nd
    - Have very little "vacation" money at the moment
    - Don't want to sit and vegetate for a week
    - Thinking of doing a road trip with a friend (within reasonable distance of Houston)

Any suggestions on notable events that are happening around Texas during that time?

I guess we could always go to Austin for a few days (there are people there we could probably stay with), but to be completely honest we're not real big on the whole bar hopping thing these days. Even if there are some cool things going on locally, I'd love to know. Like I said, I just don't want to sit on my butt and waste my time off.

If by some chance the Rockets make the playoffs, I plan to go see a game in San Antonio (vowed to do that since the start of the season if they met) - so we could make a road trip out of that, I'm sure...but that's probably not going to happen.

2. TheresTheDagger

Well, at least 2 (hopefully 3?) Texas teams will be in the 1st round of the NBA playoffs at that time. Thats what i'm doing. (i'm off the same time)

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

4. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

Lots to do in San Antonio for very little money and as long as you eat and stay outside of downtown. Riverwalk, Alamo, other missions and the Japenese Gardens are all free and Casa Rio on the riverwalk has good cheap food.

You could also go see a minor league baseball game in Round Rock or Corpus Christie. Take a trip to Galveston during the week.

Check out tripadvisor, it has lots of good suggestions.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd take a drive to New Orleans and eat/drink/party

7. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I'd go the Hill Country and nearby places. Stop in Fredericksburg (Enchanted Rock, antique shops), canopy tours in Cypress Valley, tubing in near New Braunfels, Natural Bridge Caverns in SA, Avery Ranch Golf course in N. Austin, trail biking in the Greenbelt and McKinney Falls, etc.

Also, it's a long drive, but Big Bend is a great place to visit during spring.

And, if you're feeling adventurous, maybe Monterrey (Mexico)? A friend came back from the place a few weeks ago, she stayed there 3 days for work. Had a great time, but she said to use the utmost caution when wandering about. Tamualipas and Nuevo Leon are basically in the hands of cartel members, but the city itself hasn't become Juarez, yet.