1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Utah Ronnie Brewer to Memphis Probable

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htown1984, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Wondering if they are adding him to prepare for the possible loss of Gay.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If that's your definition of a "dead eye shooter", then Rafer Alston and Trevor Ariza are dead eye shooters too.

Max was a lot of things but he was not a great shooter. Even tinman would admit that. The best you could say was he got streaky-hot every now and then, but not very often. Defense and attitude were Max's calling cards.

3. MONON

MONON Member

I agree with Nuggets4 that Ariza will be fine next year with Yao back. For this year; he was brought here to be the 1-3 option, which he isn't. Without a go-to guy, defenses don't have to double team anyone & can play srtaight up on everyone. Next year with Yao being double teamed, Ariza's shooting will improve.

As for Brewer, he shoots 49.4% from 2, 25.9% from 3 & 62.5% from the line. He attempts 8 2pt, .6 3pt & 2.2 ft per game. His 3 & ft % aren't good, while his inside the arc % is very good. But then he's the 4th or 5th option on that team. I would expect his field goal % to drop, if he were on the Rockets this year. I just don't see an improvement with Brewer vs Ariza.

4. MONON

MONON Member

I forgot to say that I haven't seen Brewer play but 1 or 2 games, so my opinion is a statistical one.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I think the plus in having Brewer instead of Ariza is that Brewer will not try to put the offense on his shoulder like Ariza. But then again we do need 1 or 2 other players to create their own offense outside of AB, Landry, and Scola.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Are we talking about the Ronnie Brewer the Rox shouldve drafted in 06? Not the guy that could handle,defend,pass,slash, and was everything the rockets needed at the time? Oh yeah, hes on his rookie deal also,

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

the sick thing is that he REALLY wanted to be drafted by the Rockets.

8. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

The problem with the fans responses to how Ariza has played is that they're impatient. He's still very young, and when Yao comes back, I expect Ariza to contribute greatly.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

i remember DD wanting his standard white player in jj :grin: . I wanted brewer because he fit everything the rox needed. A 6'7 swing who could do little of everything. Well, we know what happened, we would have our player on a rookie deal with a young team. Ariza nor shane would be here if we wouldve just drafted brewer.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Not drafting brewer was not that big of a deal like some who like to hang on to that notion that the Rockets would have been better off.

Much ado about nothing.

11. sbyang

sbyang Member

Some of the posters hereare just enamored with Brewer because they see all the physical skills and think that he can figure out his shot. I don't think so. He's been playing with one of the best PGs in the game and is still a train wreck on offense. He's like a 25% 3 point shooter even though every team leaves him wide open and begs him to shoot the 3.

He's got 2 ways to go, he can figure out a way to shoot the stand still 3, in which case he'll become Bruce Bowen light. Or he could continue not being able to shoot and go from starter to bench to out of the league like Desmond Mason. I think the latter is more likely to happen.

12. Tinffiny87

Tinffiny87 Member

I don’t think Utah does it, doesn’t make much sense being that both teams…