1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Utah Muslims work with LDS Church to help typhoon victims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andrew Wiggins, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Andrew Wiggins

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...DS-Church-to-help-typhoon-victims.html?pg=all

Some positive news in the D&D is not a bad thing. Props to the Islamic Society of Greater Salt Lake for raising and donating $120,000 to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and working together to assist victims of the recent typhoon in the Philippines. It's always see people helping disaster stuck victims. I can only imagine what it feels like to go through what they've been through. Losing everything, including loved ones and starting over again is never easy.

1 person likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for some positive news.

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Good post. Wish those extremist Muslims could see how working together can accomplish infinitely more than working against.

4. Dei

Dei Member

They still can't make Utah not suck.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice story and Utah is one of my favorite states. It has incredible natural parks and world class skiing. Since 2002 you can drink in bars and buy alcohol.

It is a shame though that they idolize evil.
    [​IMG]

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looks like Utah's Mormons have a good influence on Muslims.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Mormons and the LDS Church in general tend to do a LOT of great charity work and make lots of charitable contributions. It is cool that the Muslims in the area joined with them in this effort. Would love to see a LOT more joint church efforts in this world. It could really make a difference. Small churches just don't have the funds to do a lot by themselves, but the big churches can really do a LOT of good stuff.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The LDS church has a very interesting outlook on minority outreach that many other churches simply dont have.

LDS growth today is almost entirely minority driven (reflecting the general population growth of the US). As a result, the LDS church has made it a pretty big priority to push for issues that benefit immigrants and minorities. For example, the LDS church is a big time advocate for immigration reform and as a result Utah has some of the most liberal immigration laws in the US. (despite being an incredibly conservative state)

Utah is one of the only states in the US to give work permits to illegal immigrants. On top of that, Utah is one of three states to grant drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. All of that happened because the LDS church provided political cover for Republicans to vote yes on those bills.

So the LDS church working with Muslims doesn't shock me at all. LDS has been more progressive on minority issues than almost any other religious organization. They deserve tons of credit on that front.

9. Andrew Wiggins

Hear, hear. I was skeptical when I read the Islamic Society of Greater Salt Lake trusted the LDS Church enough to give the $120,000 donation without making sure it got to the victims. That said a lot to me, and now I understand why they do.