1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

It's going to be a long/fun year for longhorn fans. They aren't going to compete with the big boys but then again they have a ton of talented freshmen and some exciting playmakers. That BYU offense was just horrible, so I wouldn't read too much into the defensive performance, but that freshman corner Diggs is going to be a stud. Isn't he Quentin Jammer's little brother? Give these young guys a few years and Texas will be back in the top 10.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

None of us Horns fans need a trolls opinion.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I did, and he had a huge advantage in that LT always had better athletes than their opponent at the skill position, the kids were more often WIDE OPEN...

He has choked at the next level due to the play speeing up and the window of delivery for the pass shrinking, he just does not have it.

DD

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

True, and LT's head coach at the time, Chad Morris (current offensive coordinator at Clemson), ran a high-powered spread offense more suitable to Gilbert's skillset. They ran a lot of zone read in the mold of Malzhan's scheme at Auburn, and Gilbert was much more dependent upon his feet than he ever was at Texas. When Mack and G. Davis shifted to a more run-heavy attack against a top-10 Nebraska squad last season, Gilbert flourished and had the finest performance of his brief Texas career.

He doesn't have the decision-making skills/composure to excel at this level, bottom line. He folds under pressure, and is far too antsy in the pocket. He was so accustomed to dominating at the HS level, that he crumbled when the losses started accumulating, the INTs continued to rack up, and the boos got louder. He was never forced to overcome major adversity at Lake Travis, and wasn't prepared to handle the heat at a grand stage like Texas.

I wonder if he'll transfer and spend his final year of eligibility at a place like North Texas?

5. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...horns/entries/2011/09/12/mccoy_will_star.html

Case McCoy will start Saturday’s game at UCLA.

David Ash will back him up, along with Garrett Gilbert.

McCoy and Ash are listed as “or” options as starter. But McCoy’s name is listed first.

Gilbert is the No. 3 quarterback.

Also, Malcolm Brown will get his first start as well.

Those were the major moves in Texas’ depth chart, revealed Monday morning.

Others of note:

Sophomore defensive tackle Ashton Dorsey, who produced a sack against BYU in his first start, will start again next to Kheeston Randall.

Marquise Goodwin has been moved to primary kickoff returner. He’ll be paired with Quandre Diggs.

Goodwin also will start at receiver.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Good move for the Horns. If they had waited until conference play to make this change it might have been too late. Now they have a very realistic shot to put together an impressive season.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

much happier about Malcolm than the QB change. Hoping for 20+ touches

(edit: the QB change was necessary too)

8. DaDakota

Oh I think they are both very important, the players know what is up, and you don't want to lose that locker room.

Gilbert should transfer, he is done.

DD

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not picking on you personally but fans tend to put too much stock in depth charts - the Longhorns this year more than ever are a team of situational packages (..heh..) - look no further than 6 players having taken a snap at QB in 1 game, with probably more to come.

Down, distance, field position, clock and score are going to dictate who's on the field more often than names on a depth chart.

10. DaDakota

Unless your name is Giblert.

:)

DD

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes. I guess Mack figured out he was an upgrade from Fozzy.

I'm glad we are committing to the run this year.

12. DaDakota

It takes Mack longer than most to recognize the obvious.....lol.

DD

13. Tuan

Tuan Member

I wanted Gilbert to excel but he was a product of a system. I think I read somewhere that they followed every QB out of LT and they were all horrible at the college level.

I like the moves by Mack but why not go with Ash at this point. Its clear that that we are not going to win the Big 12 this year, so start the guy with the most potential. I like Case but he just doesnt have the tools needed for at the college level.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know Chris Simms gets tons of flack from us Horns fans, but I was debating with my buddy, that he was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gilbert.

Sure, Chris Simms would throw for 300 yards and get 2 interceptions, but it's better than 8 yards and 2 interceptions!

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Todd Reesing was a decent QB for Kansas for a few years.

16. Major

Major Member

What exactly do you base that on? :confused:

17. DaDakota

His one incompletion?

DD

18. Tuan

Tuan Member

If you have watch him in spring ball or UT practices, it is clear he lacks arm strength. I thought Colt arm's strength was questionable, and Case's arm strength is a notch or two below his brother.

19. DaDakota

Arm strength is important, but quick thinking and reacting is more important.

When you get both, you get a top notch NFL QB...

DD

20. Tuan

Tuan Member

Right, and nobody is talking about an NFL quarterback.

It is clear that you dont need a big arm to excel at the college level, but to me, Case doesnt even have the zip needed for at the college level.

He has many of Colt's intangibles but I am afraid that isnt enough to make up for his lack for physical short comings........