1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Ash was great in a running context. I don't know how he is or would be as a passer, though he had 1 really good throw (the one through someone's hands on the sideline) for sure

I agree on what you say about Gilbert. No arguments from me

But McCoy, I'll disagree a little. I think his WR's helped him out, and he def made one questionable decision (I think it was the 1st big Shipley connection maybe).

I'm ready to give him a shot for sure. But I'm just not impressed yet. 7/8 for 57 yards, with about 40 coming on 2 throws. Yeah, he was able to hit some guys for 3 yard dumps and Jaxon went up and got 2 of em. I def think he'll get better with experience

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you can stick a fork into Gilbert unless McCoy or Ash get injured or they both completely flame out. There are no other reasons for him to ever take another snap.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If Gilbert touches the field again while McCoy and Ash are healthy, I'm done. He has shown me absolutely nothing over the past two years that even somewhat warrants a starting job on this team. It's time to let these other two guys have a shot. Sit Gilbert deep on the bench.

Can we start using Malcolm Brown correctly please? Nothing pisses me off more than watching this guy battle his way to a 6-7 yard gain, the crowd get excited because of it, and then a new RB come in for absolutely no reason at all. Man up and sit Whitaker on the bench. Give Brown the damn ball.

Also, Jaxon Shipley... that's really all that needs to be said.

1 person likes this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm glad to see a true running game again, Texas football the way it's supposed to be.

As for QB, i was willing to let Gilbert start this season, but I've already seen enough. 3 years no progress, stick a fork in him.

McCoy is already showing more in flashes than Gilbert, although I was hardly blown away by his play. He just looked good when compared to GG, he made some bad throws and was bailed out, but like I said he's already shown enough to warrant starting.

As for David Ash, at this point all I see is a white John Chiles. He's a frosh so we'll see how his passing games develops, but he hasn't shown anything yet as a passer.

All in all a good win, but not great.

5. Major

Major Member

Yeah - I'm not saying he was great. He has a long way to go, but he showed a couple of key traits: he completed passes (even though most were easy) and he found guys to throw to. I don't have too much of a problem with those dangerous throws to Shipley - if you know your receiver can make those catches, you can do that. If he was throwing those to other receivers, I think it's a bigger problem. But assuming Jaxon Shipley is anything like Jordan Shipley, you trust that he's able to make those types of catches in traffic. One was on a 3rd down too, so I think you accept taking more chances there.

We'll see where things go from here, but I think you saw a lot more potential upside in McCoy today than we've ever seen in Gilbert. He showed pretty good poise, good accuracy, and didn't seem to lock onto one guy. By the end of the game, he seemed in command of the (limited) offense. Hopefully with first team reps this week and then the bye week next week, he'll get a chance to get the whole playbook because we'll need much more passing to keep up with the better teams in the league. He also never seemed scared of the moment, which is probably Gilbert's biggest problem.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Man, you guys have got to get rid of Gilbert. He is killing you.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

McCoy was bailed out by Shipley on a few plays; the throw into triple coverage was the same as Gilbert would have done, he just got away with it; Ash wasn't allowed to throw downfield save once, and the receiver, Darius White, promptly dropped it.

I just don't see much difference passing wise betwen Ash & McCoy given McCo's obvious lack of arm-strength, and Ash is the superior runner. I think they'll keep using both but in an ideal universe Ash begins to pull away and takes over the job eventually.

8. Major

Major Member

It's funny, but both GG and McCoy did make that throw last night, but there was one big difference. McCoy's hit Shipley's hands first; GG hit the defender's hands first (then bounced a couple of times before being intercepted). Throws into tight spaces are not the best in the world - but if you know you can get it your receiver, those are the ones that often lead to great catches. Whether McCoy has better timing and knew he could get it in there or just got lucky remains to be seen though.

9. Buck Turgidson

UT is 113-4 under Mack Brown when outrushing the opponent. I want to see lots more of Ash & Malcolm Brown.

1 person likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ditto. I don't know how well they will do this year, but those guys are the team next year.

11. Buck Turgidson

They looked great running the zone read last night, the option not so much - especially the one play they ran it out of the shotgun, Brown (iirc) caught the pitch about 10 yards behind the LOS and had to break about 3 tackles just to get back to it. Ash was indecisive on the pitch a couple of other times as well.

Harsin's offense is definitely interesting to watch, should be lots of fun once all the young skill position guys get more comfortable with it.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

David Ash was not an option quarterback in High School. He was known for his arm. He just happens to have surprising athleticism. He is the future as long as he doesn't have tunnel vision like Squint.

13. Buck Turgidson

Yep. He's a heck of a punter as well.

If the UCLA game was in Austin, I don't see how Mack could start GG & have him boo'ed when he comes out for the opening possession. But since it's in Cali...Mack's at times seemed overly-loyal to certain players, maybe that's changed.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

How bad will OU crush the horns this year? It's gonna be UGLY

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dude, did some longhorn nail your girlfriend or something. A lot of people don't like texas, but you're trolling is bordering on a pathology.

1 person likes this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gilbert is just a slow decision maker, throws the ball low on short passes and needs more arch on the long ones.

He is just not good enough, time to go young with McCoy and Ash.....the team is just better with them than Gilbert.

DD

17. Buck Turgidson

Did you see him at Lake Travis?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Gilbert was a beneficiary of a great system in HS. The guy who took his place the following year passed for 4400 yards as a junior. He was essentially the Matt Lienart of HS football. Looked great because he was playing with superior talent.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he has been on a mission for years letting people know how much ut is horrible for some reason

20. Buck Turgidson

It was a talent issue a bit, the system they run there (spread, which for better or worse has been copied by a ton of HS programs around Texas), allowed GG to have a "go to" receiver on every play, he never had to read a defense, audible, or even check down to his second (hell, third) receiver. He was a machine, and he was great at, but so were a few Southlake qb' who you've never heard of. I dunno.