1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Ha I’ve been waiting for that…

raining threes likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Looking like a rematch with OU.

3. raining threes

Ewers has completed 70% of his passes and has an 18-4 TD/Int ratio. What more do you expect from Ewers? Meanwhile Manning has thrown 4 passes in his college career.

4. Major

Major Member

Yep.

I didn't see the game but 2-5 for 30 yards and 3 carries for 7 yards, all in garbage time?

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Mannings have won four super bowls and went to twenty pro bowls. The Ewers have won zero super bowls and have gone to zero pro bowls.

6. raining threes

In other words nothing?

How many national championships have the Manning's won?

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Member

all champions are Mannings at heart.

raining threes and tinman like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

What's your point?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I still don't get the inability to get touchdowns in the redzone. We lead the nation in field goals and probably turnover on downs in the redzone.

10. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

gucci888 likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Manning will always have an unearned advantage, especially with the fans, in any QB competition because of the Manning name. However, Sark appears to have a plan and is sticking to it. It will be interesting next season if Ewers comes back.

12. juicystream

juicystream Member

The Ewers/Manning situation looks complicated. In a normal year, Ewers would probably go pro, but with this strong class, he might be better off waiting until 2025 draft where he might have a better chance to go in the first round. Hopefully doesn't end up in a Simms & Applewhite situation where the better QB is losing playing time due to the new kids name.

13. rockbox

I don't think it's that complicated. Manning is still 18, the elder Mannings don't want him in the NFL until he's at least 21-22. They are looking at the big picture. Manning will get playing time next season. Either in garbage time, injury, or ewers under performs.

Edit:

Eli was 23 in his first season in the NFL

#15873 rockbox, Nov 26, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    mtbrays likes this.
  14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Peyton threw 28 int his first year. If you are good enough you will make it despite sucking.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Not a good sign that the AP poll put Ohio State behind Oregon, but ahead of us. It could be a clue about what the CFP rankings will look like.

I sincerely don't understand the Oregon love. They have one top-25 win against Oregon State and put up points against a lot of bad Pac-12 defenses. We played a common opponent (Texas Tech) and Oregon won by 8 (would've been by 2 if not for a game-ending pick-six); we beat Tech by 50.

The committee can't put Alabama ahead of us because of the head-to-head win, but I struggle to believe that a one-loss Oregon would be ahead of a one-loss Alabama if Texas weren't sandwiched between the two.

It seems like we need:
    • Alabama to beat Georgia (unlikely)
    • Washington to beat Oregon (eliminates the Ducks from consideration and guarantees Washington in the playoff)
    • Louisville to beat Florida State
    I don't see all of that happening, but I'm just happy that we're in a position to talk like this for the first time in a decade and slam the door on the Big 12.

17. HTM

HTM Member

Yea looks like we’re gonna just be edged out even if we win

18. juicystream

juicystream Member

There will just be so much pressure to play him. Eli did redshirt and barely play in his RS Freshman season, so maybe they would be good with the arrangement. You just don't see that much anymore, especially with the transfer portal. Ewers would be in good position to be the top QB in the 2025 draft if he did come back, so I hope he does.

It doesn't matter where they put Ohio State. Ohio State can't improve their resume, but Texas can by winning against Oklahoma St. If Texas wins the Big 12, they will leapfrog Ohio St (so would Alabama if they win the SEC). Oregon being the top 1 loss team out there is the biggest problem. It means they (Oregon) win and are in.

I believe Texas is in if they win and either FSU or Michigan lose. I don't believe they will take a 1-loss non-conference champion over Texas, which is what would have to happen for them not to get in with that scenario.

mtbrays likes this.
  19. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed on all points. Oregon outranking us still doesn't make sense to me given the resumes.

20. rockbox

Again, Arch is a young Freshman. He doesn't turn 19 until April.

From OG Manning himself

Eli did not take over the starting quarterback reins until his junior season at Ole Miss. Archie said that Eli ultimately benefited from sitting on the bench for a couple of seasons.

"Eli had what I think is the best course. He redshirt his first year, was a backup in his second year and then started in his third year. I think it’s a big jump."

juicystream likes this.