1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Times have changed but if CDC can say he’s got Urban waiting to ink, think he could scrounge out the $13M owed to Herman relatively easily.

2. gucci888

One other thing on the game, Herman needs to be foaming at the mouth and ripping into the refs on some of those calls. It won’t change the call but maybe it gets your team fired up or something. Kids were sleepwalking the entire game getting punked by both TCU and the refs.

3. Buck Turgidson

How's that gonna look? Players have made their thoughts very clear...then everybody got back together and things are good...then you fire their coach 5 years after you fired the last coach after 4 years? How much credibility with players/recruits will you ever have again?

Oh yeah, the department is cutting jobs and sports, but we found this extra $15M sitting around that we didn't want to spend on what yall wanted, but....here's your new coach.

Yall would have fired Royal and Mack after 4 years.

4. gucci888

Think I’ve made it clear that I don’t think it’s happening and fine rolling with Herman assuming he doesn’t completely $hit the bed the rest of the way. That being said, recruiting has never been the issue at Texas and getting a guy like Urban certainly wouldn’t hurt on that front in the very least. Player development has been by far the biggest issue with the program going back to Mack IMO and outside of Saban, Urban is arguably the best to do it in the modern era.

As far as buyout money, don’t think it’d be about “finding” money laying around vs going to the donors and asking. Pipe dream? Probably. But like I said, don’t think it’s a possibly for anyone outside of Urban.

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SMU is the highest ranking team from Texas in college football

DaDakota likes this.
  6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Good for Shane.

I'm still ok with how the season is going but I'll join the panic-mobile if we lose to OU.

Turbo likes this.
  7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The buyout money isn't there from what I've heard. You can blame Perrin and the premature extension he bestowed on Herman. The other issue is that Texas has always seemed to care more about image than winning at any cost. I'm not in this camp - I want to win. You have to wonder if getting someone like Urban down the line (2021?) is going to require a realignment of sorts in the AD and admin.

8. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

We lose a couple more games and I'd imagine those buy-out funds magically appear.

Hustle Town likes this.
  9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

A fair point - what if Texas loses badly to OU this weekend? We'll see, but paying big money for a buyout and new coach during a pandemic is problematic for optics, even if there's little real overlap between athletics and academics.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

I agree player development is an issue, but I think there's something deeper that's wrong. Both Manny Diaz and Mack Brown, in their 2nd year with mediocre programs filled with mediocre talent, are back in the top 10. If either was hired last year at Texas, despite having more talent, does anyone think we'd be top 10 right now? Rick Barnes has had great success at Tennessee. Women's basketball literally went and hired away a coach of a perennial top 5 team to replace Conradt, and she did nothing here. Around that 2008-2012 period, something weirdly went wrong at Texas and it doesn't feel like it's been fixed.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Still barely beat TX State.

DD

12. tinman

Supporting Member

How many years has he been playing ?

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think it's karma for taking Mack for granted and firing him. How many great seasons have we had since 1980 that weren't coached by Mack Brown?

Uprising likes this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

his tenure was trending down, even every great coach has a decline
    except for Saban

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We only had one season since he was fired that we had better than the 8-5 record of his final season. His trend downward was because he put all his eggs in a crap quarterback that didn't pan out.

16. gucci888

Well this just sucks. #6 player in the state likely heading to OU. Herman now has just one player ranked in the Top 20 in Texas.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

His trend downward was because he stopped putting in the work. His recruiting was atrocious and just relied on public rankings. Player development had tanked. Coaches were in-fighting with each other and causing chaos. The whole program was a mess by the time he was fired. The fact that he suddenly went out of state to go recruit (for the first time in years) to avoid a meeting with AD kind of encapsulates the theme of the end of the Mack Brown era.

raining threes and tinman like this.
  18. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Longhorn fans have been chasing away coaches pretty consistently from Brown, through Strong and now Hermann. Strong never caught on, but all are quality coaches with strong history and future success. Longhorns have no interest or lack the ability to develop a coach or hire from within. I don't understand that, you have certainly had talent as many of your assistants have gone on to head coaching positions.

I remember when the fans wanted to fire Brown and replace him with Stoops. Now Meyer is the solution?
    Longhorns have so much, but seems like the fans can only focus on what they don't have.

Brando2101 likes this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

****ing Ingram...

20. Buck Turgidson

You'd think he might have learned something about the importance of wrapping the ball up in traffic.