1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Tackling was a big focal point for Ash and it looked much improved vs. UTEP. I understand it's UTEP but it looked much better even compared to previous easier non-conference games. We'll see how Ash adjusts after we seemingly reverted back to being one of the worst tackling teams in the country.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We looked like Charlie's team out there on Saturday

raining threes likes this.
  3. mtbrays

Supporting Member

What do you think we've been watching for 10 years? I don't think any reasonable Longhorn fan would tell you that we are truly the 9th best team in the country right now. On the flip side, Oklahoma has consistently shown they're not worthy of their lofty rankings year in and year out, yet the the voters continue to perceive them and their sieve defense as a playoff-worthy team.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This team is pretty competitive in the big games under Herman, which is an improvement over Strong. They're not very consistent, though.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think development of defensive players and offensive line has been lacking under his reign. His assistants haven't been good teachers. Very poor fundamentals. The good defensive players were good since they stepped on campus. We recruit elite secondary players but still keep getting burned. I sure miss Duane Akina more than anyone else from Mack's tenure at Texas.

6. Major

Major Member

Eh - OU has generally been a 4 seed most of those years and they've done what you'd expect a 4 seed vs 1 seed. No one else was really more deserving of that 4th spot and its unlikely anyone else would have won those games.

Last year, they got blown out by #1 LSU
    In 2018, they lost by 11 to #1 Alabama
    In 2017, they were the #2 seed and lost a double-OT game.
    In 2015, they got blown out by #1 Clemson

No one in the Big12 seems to be able to dethrone them, so they keep getting in by default.

7. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Yeah and if the Pac 12 could muster a playoff-worthy team OU would be less involved.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Charlie's team would have walked out with a L.

raining threes and mtbrays like this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Charlie never had a quarterback like a Senior Ellingher. I'm not defending Charlie, I'm just saying our defense is as bad or worse than ever.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

12. Buck Turgidson

Special teams was laughable, which kinda makes sense given that they haven't practiced those at all.

We'll see, UTEP was a scrimmage, Tech was an escape, now things get serious.

mtbrays likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Those are bad games, exactly why?

14. Buck Turgidson

Well, it's a team that sells more shirts than yall sell tortillas, and also wins more games.

Please feel free to ask us any questions you may have.

mtbrays likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Again...you don't get contact practice, things are going to look bad. It's been a constant throughout CFB so far this year.

16. Major

Major Member

Where did I say they were?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

I dunno...now that I read the rest of your post I guess you didn't.

Stop asking me questions. I miss watching games with you and the other guys, btw.

I'm rewatching this game now, still fun, especially now that I know they win.

Major likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Why didn't UT just run the ball down their throats in the 2nd half, especially the 4Q? Basically what the Steelers did to the Texans? If they can't stop it, why not keep doing it?

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Herman alluded to this yesterday at his presser. But at the end, it’ll be hard to blame it on COVID when it’s been an ongoing issue for a better part of the decade.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's non-contact practice? I've heard they went to "rugby style" tackling, whatever that means, but I remember non-contact practice is why we had such poor tackling under Strong.