1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dear Ricky Williams,

I do not have a dog so you are welcome in my backyard anytime you want. Generally speaking, not many people go back there so it's all yours as far as I'm concerned.

Sincerely,

Don Grahamleone
    Loyal Longhorn
    Not A COP

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Power corrupts... we know how that works. (I'm not talking about anything specific (Major and Don are friends in real world), just that it corrupts folks that suddenly have it and not all respond well to power.)

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Big pickup today for Orlando and the defense in JUCO ILB Gary Johnson. #5 overall JUCO player for 2017.

Would love to see him at MLB allowing Malik to play outside.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it's not just petty, it's stupid.

When a new coach is scrambling to fill out a busted recruiting class after taking over in the offseason, he offers players he has been in contact with at his previous school because that's who he's been dealing with for the past 2 years.

See Herman, Tom for example.

Charlie Strong didn't get fired because he couldn't close good players or evaluated them poorly or offered too many Floridians - that's just dumbassery.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Strong sucked, great that his kids liked him and he drained the swamp, but his coaching was rudimentary, his team was consistently out matched in schemes week in and week out.

Strong was out of his depth....Herman - well, let's see how he does, or it will be "Next" for him too.

DD

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we bet USC next year than mission accomplished

7. gucci888

Nice write up on Herman's first class. Still would have been nice to pull one or two blue-chips but Strong stocked the cupboard nicely for him. Holding onto Taquon Graham and adding Chaisson would be huge for the defense. I think Toneil Carter has a chance to contribute early on.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

9. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

National Signing Day shouldn't be too crazy. Here are the realistic targets (247 Rankings):

5 Star Pass Rusher K’Lavon Chaisson (http://247sports.com/player/klavon-chaisson-83858)
    3 Star Athlete Jordan Pouncey (http://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Pouncey-87811)
    4 Star OT Stephan Zabie (http://247sports.com/Player/Stephan-Zabie-76456_

Chaisson is the top ranked player that isn't currently committed anywhere. Texas currently sits in 2nd in Big 12 recruitment classes. OU blew them away this year. They have a ton of 4 stars and have 10-13 more players in their class than Texas does. That being said, Texas had a number of talented recruits from last year that redshirted so that is something to consider. Texas will likely finish somewhere in the 15-20 range in overall recruiting class. Meanwhile, Alabama will finish with the top class for the 7th year in a row. Ohio St is #2. OU is #7 right now.

Here is the position breakdown:

1 WR*
    1 WR/RB*
    2 RB**
    1 QB *
    2 OL**
    2 TE**
    1 LB*
    3 DE***
    2 CB**
    1 K*

Herman did a pretty good job coming in towards the end of the recruiting period. He didn't lose much and picked up a few good players. The biggest impact he can make in recruiting next year is wins. They aren't going to beat USC but they have a good chance to win 9 games outside of that game. It'll be really interesting to see what he does with the QBs. It's possible Heard could get another look but who knows. The new kid Ehlinger they got is big and has crazy high school stats but he had a lot of injuries in his senior year. He is built a lot sturdier and currently weighs 25 lbs more than Buechelle. He had 50 passing TDs and 20 rushing TDs in his junior season. He's enrolling early and will hopefully be healthy for Spring ball.

#9229 Brando2101, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  10. Buck Turgidson

UT was only going to give out 16 or so scholarships, so the stupid recruiting rankings mean even less than usual.

11. Brando2101

Source?

12. gucci888

Ya everything I read stated that Herman was going take a full class if he could. And it looks like we may strike out on a few guys that took late visits but it seems that Herman was willing to take 20+ kids easily.

13. Buck Turgidson

I'm sure I misread the article in the Statesman Sunday or whenever. That's what I get for half-ass caring about recruiting stuff.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hearing Chaisson to LSU.

15. Brando2101

I'll be the first time ever that UT fails to recruit one of the top 10 players in the state. Oh well. Is what it is.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Wasn't it known he was leaning that way all along?

17. Brando2101

Who really knows. I don't put much stock into the "expert" predictions. I think you can look at what the recruits say about certain schools and if they are considering them but I don't think you can dissect their words and know where they are going to go. They are just 18 year old kids facing a huge decision. I do think it's helpful to find out which players a school is interested in and have offers to. They also have a good idea of when visits are made which I think is helpful. I just don't bother posting "crystal ball predictions" and 2 of the recruits that Texas got today are a good reason why. The sites also do a really great job at evaluating and organizing talent.

Turd,
    I disagree with you but I also don't really care to get into another argument about recruiting classes. I think the correlations between great players and 4-5 star are there. I think the correlations are there between team rankings and on the field success but correlations are not absolute. Sorry, I said I was not going to get into it. Think what you want but unless you have something else to contribute on signing day then maybe you should save it. It's not like this is getting in the way of any other conversation in this thread.

#9237 Brando2101, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Who did we end up with? Been super busy with work.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The team is already loaded with talent. They need to show results on the field if they want to win recruiting battles. Brand alone isn't enough when you have posted 3 straight 6 win seasons or less. This team has more than enough talent not only to win the Big 12 and even possibly get to a college football playoff. Show results and you'll get recruits. That's how this works.

20. Brando2101

They are 0-2 so far today with 1 more recruit to go. Herman went out and got a JUCO End when it seemed likely they would lose out on Chaisson. Losing the Westlake kid hurts but there is a lot of depth on the OL. WR and DE, not so much.

Almost final commit list. Pouncey could be added by the end of the day.

[​IMG]

Here are the guys who redshirted last year:
    • WR Davion Curtis
    • WR Reggie Hemphill-Mapps
    • TE Peyton Aucoin
    • OL Tope Imade
    • OL J.P. Uriquidez
    • OL Patrick Hudson
    • DL Marcel Southall
    • DL Chris Daniels
    • DE Andrew Fitzgerald
    • LB Demarco Boyd
    • DB Chris Brown
    • DB Eric Cuffee

It's very disappointing that so many talented players in the state are going to other schools (8 of top 10). That big OL from Houston going to Stanford blew but he made the right decision. Ohio State and LSU were the big winners. I really think A&M going the SEC is what has helped the LSU so much. You can play for a good program and not be too far from Texas. You'll still get on TV since the SEC in now in Texas.

Anyway, UT needs to win games and the staff needs to get more experienced recruiters. I don't think many people were impressed with Herman's hires but he got the people that he thought would make UT the most successful. Maybe the new OC can make a big difference next year. He got a lot of good kids for Ohio St. Texas needs QBs. Hopefully then can get at least 2 in 2018. They will go into this year with Merrick and likely Heard as the backups. They need to redshirt Erlighetherher from Westlake. You need a bunch of QBs competing. Colt beat out Snead and another kid. Ash beat out a few other guys and was legitimately a good player but injuries just took him out. The problem is that when you recruit pure QBs, they'll transfer out if they don't win. Oh well.

UT has sent out 55 offers for 2018:

#9240 Brando2101, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017