1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Interesting take on the coaches poll. Think there can be more ulterior motives in the coaches poll and really not sure how much analysis/film the coaches have time for. Not saying the AP doesn't do the same but would think they watch more games then your FBS head coach.

2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You can choose to ignore the warning signs, but we're just trying to help soften the imminent downfall for you.

Look at the dearth of talent you guys have in the trenches. That's going to be your downfall, and anyone with even a modicum of football knowledge can see it coming.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lock up your daughters, Baylor's got speed.

No I mean really.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It seems everyone got the memo to schedule at least one decent non conference game except for Baylor.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WrX5QyLM3gM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think one of my biggest takeaways from the game is how much pride I feel about the current state of the program. We have players like Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard who are so unselfish that they are willing to cede their starting roles to younger players or switch positions entirely for the good of the team. You just don't see that very often. It's also just a lot of fun to win a big game again, especially since it's the start of the season. As far as rankings go, I think the Coaches Poll has it right, and the AP voters got too excited. Either way, prove it on the field.

6. Hustle Town

And here are some recruit reactions via The Football Brainiacs - UT Edition:

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2016/09/open-post-tuesday-september-6th/

And that's just from the players who TFB could get a comment from. Marvin Wilson (#3 National 247 Composite) and Baron Browning (#9 National 247 Composite) were also at the game.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's impossible. Wins against SMU and Rice will not make Baylor jump any team ahead of them that doesn't lose. They'll still have teams ahead of them once they beat Ok St that have more impressive non-conference games. This has to be one of the worst Baylor non-conference schedules in recent memory and that is saying a lot.

UTEP Depth Chart:
    [​IMG]

Freshman:
    Kyler Porter 3rd String RB
    Lil'Jordan Humphrey 3rd String Outside WR A and Outside WR B
    Devin Duvernay 2nd String Inside WR (2 Inside WR Positions)
    John Delance 2nd String LT
    Zach Shackelford 1st String C
    Denzel Okafor 3rd String RT

Jordan Elliot 3rd string SDE
    DeAndre Christmas 3rd string NT
    Gerald Wilbon 2nd string DT
    Malcolm Roach 3rd String FOX
    Cameron Townsend 2nd string SLB
    Jeffrey McCullough 3rd string WLB
    Brandon Jones 3rd string FS

#7547 Brando2101, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baylor?? What happened?

Are they in season 2 of Last Chance U?

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Sometimes I wish CF had a relegation system like Euro/SoAmer Futbol.

10. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Why does Baylor always play such a sissy nonconference schedule? I hate that. I'd keep them out of the playoffs just based on that.

11. Hustle Town

Art Briles scheduled harder teams when he was at Houston

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I would keep them out for preying on the weak.

Also for collecting sexual predators.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I mean....it's not like Baylor's going to be in playoff contention regardless.

14. Buck Turgidson

From what I've heard most coaches have one of their SID guys or grad assistants fill out the ballot and they look at it and say "okay".

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Because these games were scheduled many years ago when we were just trying to be bowl eligible. Duke is scheduled for the next 2 years (better team than in the past). Ole Miss here in Houston in 2020 and Utah for 21 and 22. We had an agreement with Tennessee but the SEC didn't want us to spank them and vetoed it.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Nevertheless, I don't think Baylor can ever gripe about not making the playoffs until they actually play some challenging non-conference games. That's just fact.

17. Buck Turgidson

Good teams have been known to reschedule, a year in advance, a home and home early in the season and just do the payout/buyout to whatever DII fodder (or Rice) was originally scheduled. If the Baptists wanted it, they'd have it. But yes, props for scheduling Duke.

Now stop polluting this wonderful thread with your Baylorness.

18. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody going to the UTEP game? I'm otherwise engaged (still in the stratosphere from last weekend), but wish I could make it.

I'm really hoping Charlie has a strategy for not letting this go to their heads. This team has been unranked for three years and suddenly they're #11 in the AP. That's a lot of smoke to be unexpectedly blown up one's butt.

19. Buck Turgidson

I wish the game was out west, that is a great stadium/town/area. If you haven't done that roadie out to Marathon/Marfa/Ft Davis/Stockton and Balmorrhea, Monahans, it is pure Texas.

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Anybody have a stream?