1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No he isn't. They have all these crazy penalties and make stupid mistakes. Their d is not good either.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Oh quit b****ing, no need to be a whiner - was just frustration typing.....enjoy the win....I am happy for UT.

DD

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

D was suspect, but at least it's not the offense this time.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Great 1st game!

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great win, UT.... kept the bar entertained.

Sustain a great season and grow.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well, i believe that's the first time we've ever beaten notre dame. finally.

and kelly running the ball on that 3rd down with 2 minutes left was definitely weird. it's not like we had been forcing interceptions all day or anything and there were certainly plenty of drop-backs where we got no pressure. not sure why you'd just cede the ball back only up 4 but maybe he just thought we wouldn't be able to drive it for the first time since early in the half.

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Those penalties can be corrected. First game of the season, New squad, lots of freshman and sophomores. Notre Dame is a good team, and our defense did well considering.

There's lots to improve on but it's trending up for Strong.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll say this much: His players really seem to like him, which is important.

He just told Holly Rowe one game doesn't make a season. Long way to go. Hopefully for them this isn't the peak moment of the year.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Track record at Louisville suggest he is.

He also just beat an elite college team after losing to them by A LOT 12 months ago.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

That was for Ty.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

great replay of the Swoopes run

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They beat ou last year, but they make so many dumb mistakes.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

what a win! great weekend for my texas teams... tx state, uh and ut. love it!

hook em! \m/

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Just enjoy the win and the most highly entertaining game of the best first weekend of CF ever. They scored 50 against Notre Dame after the embarrassment last year. Everyone knows we have holes and dumb mistakes to fix and it's not like anyone thinks we're a championship caliber team. Chill.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Agreed. Strong had a very mixed year with high highs and low lows. This is the year to truly evaluate his coaching ability. I think he needs 8 wins to stay.

16. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I'll definitely take that win!

There's no way I thought this team would put up 50 points tonight. I'm not surprised ND put up 47.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Awesome game. Buechele delivered on everything the coaches have been saying. Showed poise of a veteran and really looked like a leader. Great performance and he would have had 340+ yards if Burt would have caught that perfect throw.

Swoops was mistake free and seems to have really developed as a runner.

If this has taught us anything it's that we need to fire the rest of Charlie Strong's Louisville assistant coaches/coordinators. Gilbert and Maddox have completely overhauled that offense. It was really telling that it was a senior lineman that had to get off the field because he wasn't in good enough shape to keep up with the offense.

I can't believe people were really arguing with me about how bad the Texas defense was and still is.

18. krouchchocolate

Damn swoopes is just a freight train

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Great win! Very happy for Buechele, Swoopes, Strong and Sterlin Gilbert. The defense is a little concerning and needs to improve. There are a few teams on Texas's schedule with better offenses than Notre Dame.

20. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I agree and I already mentioned earlier how their defense was not looking good. They were bad most of the night but having an elite college QB like Kizer just exposes those flaws more. There's a lot of room for improvement but this was a big win considering the overhaul of the roster/system and how many underclassmen there are.

What I meant by "back" was the competitiveness against top teams and being put back on the map of college football. There's always a chance of let down next week (or if ND turns out not to be that good) but judging by that interview, coach should keep our players grounded as we know there's still a full season left to play.

Hook 'em!