1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't think you're making the point you think you're making. Even if you call last year the 2nd worst defense in the last 20 years, my point about managed expectations based on previous year experience is just as valid. Manny Diez was fired after 2 games in his 3rd year.

Could the defense be great? Sure. Anything is possible in college football. The huge infusion of talent creates much higher expectations for the defense next year or the year after. The 2002 recruiting class was called a "national championship" class that February and they won 3 years later. Time for guys to grow and develop. Jefferson is solid and Wheeler could have a really good 2nd year. Hill and Boyd were ok last year as freshman but didn't flash the same potential as Jefferson. They'll be better but there isn't a reason to think they will be way better. Could they? Sure but you don't look at that group and think they have to be great considering they are freshman and they didn't have a stellar 1st year. If that secondary can't cover then it's going to be a slaughter and Brandon Jones can't come in as an 18 year old to stop that.

TLDR: The recruiting talent is too young to expect the defense to be great especially since most of the talent was in the 2016 class. They were AWFUL on defense last year but there are reasons to think that they can be better. It's a classic sleeper team.

This. You're talking about a matchup that literally only happens every 20 years. You can always save your money though and go see UTEP, Iowa State or West Virginia? Thank god we have the opportunity to watch Baylor and TCU at home this year. : )

Thank God Texas schedules good programs non-conference and not garbage teams to pad their record. I would rather lost to ND and Cal than have beaten Northwestern St and SMU.

yep.

#7341 Brando2101, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any Clutchfans going to the Notre Dame game besides Brando and myself? I'd be happy to grab a beer with y'all at a tailgate if time allows!

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Never in my life will I pay money to see the shame of Baylor football in person again. I honestly wish the brainless thugs were only allowed on our practice field and not in the stadium and I'd love to see them out of the Big 12 completely. I'd take Tulane or Eastern Carolina as their replacement over them any and every day of the week. Maybe even Milby HS.

4. Bob Barker 007

One of my favorites.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZM0thRIlY6A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Latest rumblings on starting QB:

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is this from? By "players" do they mean Swoopes because everybody else went through the carousel last year with Heard. This isn't new.

7. gucci888

Per Chip Brown from a former apparently so take it for what its worth.

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Ok, I seriously wonder if I'm going to regret putting this online, but I think Texas gets the upset tomorrow night. There's no real reason besides the fact that I think the talent is finally good enough to put up a fight, and I think Gilbert's offense will give our guys a chance to win. It's really just a gut feeling.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Regardless won't Swoops get in on some goal line plays just like last year?

10. gucci888

For sure. I think we'll see the 18 wheeler package on all the short yard situations. But a lot of people, including myself, are probably reading into the starting QB a little too much. Both guys are gonna play quite a bit IMO.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Nobody will remember if you're wrong. If you're right, you can always point to it. No risk, all reward pick.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Is UT supposed to be good this year? Any stud players to watch out for, a la Jabrill Peppers?

13. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

Spent the last 2 days thinking the game was today. Woke up excited for no reason.

14. Buck Turgidson

Malik Jefferson, true soph, may be the best LB in the country.

This is a wait-and-see year as far as the team. Depends on the QB and DL play.

15. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Gameday is finally here... Let's see if UT can deliver against ND.

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That drive was better than any other from last season. Buchele looks promising.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I don't think Notre Dame was expecting that tempo.

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I hate it when they handcuff the QB. It's run, run, pass every time.

If he really is your QB, let him play.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That was bust you in the face and you'll take it drive. Notre Dame was out of gas. Loved it.