1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think that would be more of a reason to keep it on FS1 IMO. Get as many viewers they can possibly get for the channel.

2. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Vegas has set the over/under on UT wins at 6.5.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Sounds right but the giant wild card is (suprise) the QB. I think people feel better about freshman Shane Buechele with the new offense since maybe David Ash? Enrolling early for spring practice where a QB can learn an offense and play against college players counts for something. True Freshman is a true freshman however. Everyone wants to see what he can do in the weight room this summer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1CkgLTnQ_4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Strong has aggressively played his recruits since he got here which meant a lot of underclassman starting. Really see John Burt do more as a sophomore and Chris Warren get some starts. He's a beast and could help Shane a ton. D'Onta Foreman has also showed speed. A good running game really changes a lot but a bad kicking game could kill you.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M-ZTIuJFuIM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3cbVEckYz8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep. 4 Notre Dame Fighting Irish
    Sep. 10 UTEP Miners
    Sep. 17 at Cal
    Oct. 1 at Oklahoma State Cowboys
    Oct. 8 Oklahoma Sooners
    Oct. 15 Iowa State Cyclones
    Oct. 22 at Kansas State Wildcats
    Oct. 29 Baylor Bears
    Nov. 5 at Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Nov. 12 West Virginia Mountaineers
    Nov. 19 at Kansas Jayhawks
    Nov. 25 TCU Horned Frogs

Our 2017 QB commit Sam Ehlinger advanced to the finals of the Eliete 11 (premier and original quarterback competition for high school quarterbacks across the nation.) The kid is pretty good. He threw for almost 4,000 yards last year and 50 TDs with 5 INTs. He lost in overtime in the 6A state championship last year. This isn't exactly earth shadowing news. Just miss football....

EDIT: is there a hangout place for CFers in Austin? Or maybe everyone has their own friends where they hang out.

#7083 Brando2101, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. Brando2101

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Strong-Texas-trying-to-work-something-out-to-play-AM-45739686

Strong: Texas trying to 'work something out' to play A&M
    UT-A&M game could come back but likely not scheduled for another 7-8 years. If the big 12 changes from the Round Robin back to a 8 game conference schedule then that would open up a spot a year. Although, I don't think that will happen. Even if it did, A&M likely has their schedule filled for quite a while.

EDIT:
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pump the brakes. Texas spokesman says no specifics have been discussed between Texas and A&amp;M regarding a football game.</p>&mdash; Ryan Autullo (@AutulloAAS) <a href="https://twitter.com/AutulloAAS/status/741334678574010368">June 10, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#7084 Brando2101, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's pretty crazy that these two teams at the very least not play each other for 15 years.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Devin Duvernay (previously committed to Baylor but has been able to back out) has narrowed it to Texas and TCU. I like our chances with him, I think he comes here based on the comments he made. He sounds upbeat.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=76948

For a second time, the recruitment of Devin Duvernay is taking shape. The nation’s No. 3-ranked wide receiver in the 2016 class made the first of two planned unofficial visits on Saturday.

Duvernay previously said TCU was the favorite. The No. 42-ranked prospect in the 2016 ESPN 300 was in Austin Saturday morning with his parents to check out the University of Texas.

“It was good,” said Duvernay of his trip to see the Longhorns. “… the visit to Texas definitely had an impact.”

Duvernay packed a lot into the trip.

“I met and talked to the coaches for a while, met with Coach [Charlie] Strong, took a look at the dorms, watched some of the guys work out and then spent more time talking to Coach Strong.”

After going through the Texas spring game extensively with the Longhorns offensive staff, highlighted by every throw of freshman quarterback Shane Buechele, Strong’s message to Duvernay was a simple one.

“Coach Strong said they need a burner in the slot, and they need a guy like me in the program. I like their plan. I do feel like they need a burner at receiver.”

Texas' efforts to land Duvernay have gone way beyond the coaching staff. Several members of the Longhorns team have been staying in contact.

“I’ve been talking to Brandon [Jones] a lot," Duvernay said. "Also Charles [Omenihu] and Deshon [Elliott], I talked to Shark (Jeffrey McCulloch) a while too. They all said they need my speed, and to not worry about Coach Strong not being at Texas. They said he will be there.”

Up next will be an unofficial visit to TCU with the date still being workout with his family. One week after including Oklahoma in a group of three finalists, it looks like there are two with a realistic chance heading into the TCU visit.

“I have finished my applications to Texas and TCU. I haven’t done one for OU.”

Duvernay’s recruitment took one of the most incredible twists in recent memory on June 2 after learning that Baylor failed to submit his NLI paperwork to the Big 12 offices, which meant the highest ranked recruit in the Bears' 2016 class free to sign where he wanted.

Duvernay, an Under Armour All-American, accounted for nearly 5,000 all-purpose yards and 40 touchdowns during his career in addition to taking home the Texas 6A 100-meter title at 10.27 as a junior at Sachse (Texas) High School.

7. Brando2101

We could really use the receiving help. Our best receiver last year was a true freshman. That and offensive line feel like our weakest positions. I'll leave QB out of that list because I'm delusionally hopeful. Also note that he is not tied into a LOI and can enroll wherever and whenever he wants.

Sounds like Buechele will be the man into fall camp. Also, still no word on LB Erick Fowler's academic eligibility.

#7087 Brando2101, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ha Baylor didn't submit their paperwork for him??

So they don't have the ability to trap him there like the other recruits after what happened.

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The receivers are young, but it's not a position group I'm extremely worried about. There's solid young talent, and I don't think they were terrible as a position group last year - they just didn't have anyone that could consistently deliver them the ball. Also, Burt was/is good enough that I think he would have been a top 2 receiver on several teams in the Big 12, so his being the best isn't an automatic signal of futility.

Outside of Burt, Collin Johnson is drawing absolute rave reviews, and guys like Jacorey Warrick and Armanti Foreman have flashed in the past. Jerrod Heard is also making the switch - hard to know what we have there, but he clearly has good size and athleticism.

I'm still most concerned about QB on offense and interior DL on defense.

10. Brando2101

You're more optimistic than I am about any receiver other than Burt.

I don't believe there have been any reports that Heard is moving to WR. He's likely your #2 QB this season and it's more than likely comes in when Buechele struggles. I would think he would transfer before switching positions next season. Swoops is likely still your 18 wheeler when on the goal line but he could also get time at #2.

I'm not worried at all about the DL. Most of the talent we brought in are D Lineman. They'll be young but there will be enough talented players in that group to build a good d-line.

#7090 Brando2101, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

All other CFans going to Austin/live in Austin and plan on going to any of the games this season?

I bit the bullet and locked in two season tickets this season (figured it was a good a time as any to get in and build "loyalty points") so I'll be attending a majority of the games and would be up for some tailgating/meet-ups.

12. vj23k

I guess I see at least a serviceable group among the WRs (they were serviceable last year and only lost Daje Johnson and Marcus Johnson, both of whom were inconsistent)...If they end up being the worst position group on our offense, that indicates the OL and QB have taken a big step forward.

I heard about Heard from someone on the team, but I know that sounds dubious as hell, so here's Eric Nahlin from one of the Texas paysites:

"Heard and Duvernay: If you were steadfast in your doubt (mainly the Grumpy Old Men) that Jerrod Heard would be a wide receiver for whatever bizarre reason, you are officially incorrect. According to an outside source with ties to the team he's made the move from quarterback. It's far too early to tell what his role will be, or how expansive, but his athleticism is off the charts and he provides a viable option at one of Sterlin Gilbert's main concerns -- inside receiver. At a minimum I expect to see him used in the screen game where his slipperiness and stop/start can be used to full advantage. Obviously he should have a good grasp of his route options and such."

During spring practice, Heard was running #3 behind Buechele and Swoopes and probably saw the writing on the wall - if you're running third behind a true freshman and an inaccurate senior QB, QB is probably not your best bet for an NFL future, regardless of transferring.

Lot of young talent on the interior of the DL, but I don't love the idea of a bunch of freshman going up against Notre Dame and Oklahoma in the first month of their freshman year.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I'm not sure but I'll take your tickets for Notre Dame off your hands if you don't want them. I'm a broke student and want to take my 6 year old son to his first football game ;)

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya apparently they filed the NLI for his brother twice.

15. Brando2101

I just don't buy it. Not when your expected starter is a true freshman.

Heard was operating as the #2 QB in spring ball until he got hurt and was shut down. He won 2 state championships in high school and set an all time record at UT for offense as a freshman. I don't think struggling in games after that point and being hurt in spring practice has convinced him that he can't make it as a qb. That's why I still see transfer at the end of the year if Shane becomes the real deal.

16. vj23k

Don't know what to tell you. I heard it from someone on the team, this Nahlin guy who is at least somewhat plugged into the program is saying it, there's pictures of him wearing receivers' gloves...I'm not here to sell it, just sharing what I've heard/read.

He was running #2 behind Swoopes, who has all but been supplanted by Buechele, making Heard the de facto #3 at the end of spring ball. I was a big believer in Heard for the reasons you stated as well. Seems like he was absolutely incredible in high school, but some guys just don't translate. The Cal game proved to be a huge anomaly and came against an absolutely terrible defense that had no game tape on him and seemingly did no research on how to defend him. Even his big completions that game left something to be desired, as a lot of the yards came off of broken plays, missed defensive assignments, etc...

Honestly, how often does that transfer option work out? After 2 full seasons in the program, if you can't convincingly lock up the QB position at a place that's been in a QB drought since 2009, how much of a future at QB can you really have? This isn't a Colt McCoy/Jevan Snead situation.

17. Brando2101

Oh I totally understand. Just saying why it's hard for me to believe. It would make more sense I guess if Kai or Merrick had a good spring but they were non-existent. I can absolutely see Kai transferring. I don't know how he isn't in the dog house with his spring tweets.

I agree that Buechele passed him up. I was just saying that he was taking snaps with the 2nd team. I don't really feel like I can say that I would rather Swoops backing up Buechele as oppose to Heard except for goalline formations. Although we might use Swoops less now that we have Chris Warren, "The Juggernaut" leading the way

Sorry but I don't know what you're talking about here. Snead and Gilbert both went on to have great post Texas careers at Miss and SMU respectively after clearly not working at Texas. Connor Wood didn't but they can't all make it. There are also a lot of other nationwide examples of transfers working out for QBs. David Ash will always be one of those, "what might have been" guys. Oh well. Injuries are a part of the game.

18. vj23k

Yeah, I mean, we are clearly not in a good QB situation, and it'd be great to keep guys with experience on the QB depth chart. That said, if Heard and the coaching staff agree that his future isn't at QB, the team is best served by getting him on the field somewhere, especially when, as you've noted, we don't have a ton of experience at WR.

I'm pointing to Snead as a guy where it did work out. The difference is that both Snead and McCoy performed well, and Snead ultimately lost out to a guy who had the benefit of a redshirt year and went on to become the winningest QB in school history. Heard is being beat out by a guy that should have just graduated high school last month and Swoopes, a guy that just hasn't really demonstrated the ability to be a starting college QB in 3 seasons. As for Gilbert, I'm still having trouble rationalizing his absolute incompetence at Texas and his above average SMU/NFL career.

For every Snead and Gilbert, there are many more guys that transfer out of stubborn refusal to see the writing on the wall and end up at a worse school with no shot at the NFL and a less valuable degree. I think Heard may just be making the smart decision.

19. Brando2101

I agree. I just think he would rather transfer to keep doing QB. Who knows how things will shake up in the fall.

I think you are putting a little too much stock in the spring where a new OC came in and changed the system. I still have a better feeling about Shane but it's not like it was a prolonged competition especially since Heard got hurt 2 weeks before spring practice ended.

I think there was just too much scar with Gilbert from when he stepped in during the national championship game. I think it would have affected Colt as well if Colt had to come in for VY in the rose bowl. He also had 2-3 different offensive coordinators and the fans ran out of patience with him quickly.

Who are the QBs that crashed and burned on transfer?

Not everything is about getting into the NFL however you do have a better chance no matter what if you are going somewhere you can play. It's not all about the NFL. This is a game they have been playing their whole lives and they want the thrill of playing.

Let me know if you ever want to sell your 2nd ticket.

20. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Lol man I wish I could but that's the main reason for getting season tickets this year over other years. You should take him to the UTEP game the next weekend though. Prices are pretty low on stubhub and I bet UT will have seats available for sale directly.

Will do. I actually went in 1/2 with a friend who also lives here in Houston. I doubt he'll make all the games though so if his seat comes up and I'm still planning on going I'll let you know.